Non Con Sched (Official Release)

TheBand

According to Ken Massey's all-division computer rankings the best D-II team was St. Joseph's (IN) and they would have been the 114th best D-I team (12 spots below SLU but one spot ahead of Mizzou). St. Joseph's of IN did lose to Indiana U by quite a bit in exhibition.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb

Quincy was rated 231 by Massey (which is a lot better than Duquesne). They lost to Illinois in exhibition last year by 16. They played a lot of the better D-II close so if they are returning people they are pretty good. They are ranked 17th of D-II teams.

It seems to me that this game was chosen because it gives pretty competition while not impacting RPI formally. However, losses to D-II teams can be used as a negative on your "profile" for the committee (like SIU last year).

For the record, I think ranking across levels is flawed because there are relatively few games between D-I and D-II. However, it does let you know that there are some very good D-II teams who consistently outperform the 300+ D-1 teams. The difference between D-I and D-II is generally pretty big but D-1 (230-330) and D-II (1-100) are somewhat comparable.

I think this may turn out to be a very shrewd move. Houston plays a decent schedule but has a number of easy wins (there will be a lot of interconnectedness with SLU because they also play Charlotte and Rhode Island). Conference-USA will probably provide Houston with a bunch of easy wins as well. So, as long as Houston wins this will be a decent RPI boost to play them twice (their RPI will be more important than most of conference-mates). I think Houston could easily end up with a win percentage over .600 so it is good scheduling.

The key is what record does Tenn-Martin end up with. Do they have a reasonable expectation of being in the top of the Ohio Valley? If they do then it is good scheduling but the bottom teams of the Ohio Valley like SEMO will hurt the RPI a lot.

I think you are right that this well done from an RPI standpoint.

I think they are thinking more and more about RPI in scheduling at SLU. They seem more inclined to go for winnable games against teams who will likely have good records (the key to "gaming" the RPI) like Houston or UA-Little Rock or even Tenn-Martin. Overall it is smart scheduling to max your expectations of winning a game times the expectations of the opp. win percentage (the opp SOS plays a role too but that makes it even more complicated). You can't overthink it because there are a lot of unknowns but it sure beats not thinking about it at all.

If I remember right, Quincy was close to home, could play right away--other places wanted him to redshirt I think and he is still getting a full ride and a good Catholic education. Div 1 sports is not for everyone and I credit this kid with making that decision and realizing his education was more important than where he is playing basketball. Again working off memory, but I think there were quite a few that wanted us to offer him after his small school team beat Wellston at state I believe. I think Bernie M might have also mentioned this in one of his Bits articles back then also.

My bad I thought they were D-3. But still this should be game where we should be able to play alot of the bench. The bills should win by double digits and the score will not really reflect the true nature of the game. Much like the Quincy-IL tilt last year.

Brad and Co. have figured out the RPI thing. This is the type of schedule that if we get to 20 wins with will put us in the 30-40 range of the RPI. Quite frankly it looks a lot like the type of schedules MVC teams (minus the home games against UNC and Mississippi) used to perfection last year. Of course the schedule won't mean squat if we don't win some games.

as i said originally, i'd prefer neither, but if you have to take a buy game, why not make it vs a regional team? but i agree, the first choice isnt eastern or semo either.

people and there D2 numbers vs D1 teams are crazy...there might be a team out there at the D2 level that can beat SLU on a good day and if that school has gotten alot of players from big schools that couldnt hack the grades and had to transfer to D2... SLU is a D1 team that was tied for 3rd last year in a conference that they were choosen 13th out of 14 teams, sooo that makes all the previewers look stupid right..not totally but somewhat, because they didn't know how good tommie and kevin were due to the area they played in which has a lack of talent and they weren't repected enough due to that... Quincy will have no chance vs SLU so stop this thread now pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

This is totally unrelated to the thread, but I don't know where else it would fit.

WHY IN THE HECK does this newbie have a negative rating???? He/she hasn't even posted 10 times yet! VTIME, why have you already given friend a negative rating? This poster hasn't even had a chance to make a splash. VTIME, I've noticed your rating and have contemplated giving you a positive rating because you do contribute quite a bit to our discussions without flaming, though I rarely agree with your stance. You make it hard to do so. Though there are a few frequent, non-rival/non-flaming posters here I would be inclined to give a negative rating, I have refrained from doing so because I believe I ought to subscribe to the platitude, "if you don't have anything nice to say, it's better to say nothing at all." (I believe the only posters I've given a negative rating are Triangle &Too &l;who totally deserved it&r; and aj_arete, whom I regret giving a negative rating, since I can't retract it.)

VTIME, you are something of a young hothead, and I think you need to learn to cool it. Back in the thread during the power outage, some posters, headhunting, blasted you unfairly, turning it into a race issue when you made no such suggestion, and I've contemplated posting a belated defense of you (I would have had to do it after the fact, since I didn't read the board during the outage), but your hotheadedness makes it difficult.

Calm down, young man.

>as i said originally, i'd prefer neither, but if you have to

>take a buy game, why not make it vs a regional team? but i

>agree, the first choice isnt eastern or semo either.

Who cares if it's a regional team? It looks like you've been drinking from the Slaten/Ramsey cup. What difference does it make if they play St. Louis Tech U State or East Valdosta Univ? The attendance is going to be subpar regardless. The only way the "regional" games matter is if they're against anyone good or a perceived or real rival. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Go back on vacation.

>Am I missing something or is it not strange that we are

>playing Houston twice considering it is not a conference

>game? I don't think they were involved in the tourney at A

>& M. Is it that they could not find someone to play a game

>and Houston had the same problem and we are just going to

>play them twice? Whats the reasoning behind this?

They were looking for 2 home and home series starting at home and a one home and home starting on the road. I quest we took up to of those spots. Anyone know if we return the houston games next year?