Obi (Wan Kenobi)

How do you think the young lad will fare this season in our skirmishes with the opponent? Jolly good, I say, but dare I ask my colleagues at billikens.com for their slanted and ultra-conservative opinions?

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~allenk/obi-wan/ewen3.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/P...KEAKOR05150.JPG

THE FORCE IS WITH YOU, OBI

How can you expect much from a kid who hasn't played any competitive bball in over two years? A D1 game is a hell of a lot more intense than pickups at WP or practice scrimmages. That said, I hope he calls on the force, even if it's the darkside, and averages a double double for the season.

He has been out for a couple years, but if and when he gets it back, he could really be a force. Keep in mind the list of Big 12 and SEC schools recruiting him hard before the knee injury. He's got it, let's just hope he can get back to 100%.

I have heard several people close to the program express the opinion that Obi could be the next JJ. I have also heard that he has a very questionable work ethic and could be generally described as a *****. I expect very little from Obi and I see Knollmeyer being a guy who will keep Obi off the court. On all accounts AK47 is a real hard worker and a beast on the glass, this seems to be the opposite of Obi's lack of effort and overall softness.

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

I don't know what your opinion is based on. When I saw him at WP last week, I was stunned at the athleticism and effort I hadn't seen before. His knee clearly is healed. I have not seen Knollmeyer. I think any opinion before watching them both in official practices has to uninformed.

My opinion on AK may be uniformed due to the fact that he is an incoming freshman. However, Obi has been with the program for a year now and these are things that I have heard about him. Obi has soft touch on his jumper and shows the ability to make open shots, but the attitude questions are legitimate and something that really concerns me and why the comparison to JJ had been used.

and people close to the program that said Ian was going to stay in the draft that you believed before?

Here's a suggestion, until you see him play and witness his work-ethic first hand why don't you stop with the personal insults. We will all see soon enough if he can help us out, why blast the kid on a public forum based on pure speculation?

I would ask you to go back and find where I ever said Ian would be staying in the draft. The only things I said were that it is a lot closer than posters on the board were thinking and this came from probably Ian's bestfriend at SLU. TKBilliken used the same source and took it to a different level with his guarantee of Ian going pro. As far as Obi, this comes from people who spent the summer working with him, I would use that term loosely however.

Questioning a guys work ethic is far from throwing anyone in the gutter. I have heard things about Obi's character and for me they are an issue. I am sure he has been called much worse, like gay for instance.

*****. Or you framed it as people you knew thought he was a *****. Either way that is completely inappropriate and I would call it throwing someone in the gutter.

As far as Ian goes, you were a defender of TK (and still are apparently). That says enough right there.

Finally, you just wrote this "Last years game against Gonzaga. Being chased out of Savvis by security guards and then heading to Humphrey's for some shootin and that visit ended with me in DuBourg Hall cuffed at the DPS station. Once free from the freindly confines I proceeded to make my way to the Adams Mark where I would do some shootin and then proceed to get in an altercation with a guy for the simple reason that he was wearing a tuxedo."

Pure class there. Where you the a$$hole that threw the ball on the court? Was that why you were chased out of the savvis?

"I really do not care too much if you all find me to be credible"

B.S. You wouldn't have spent so much time trying to clarify the Ian mess if that were the case or attempt to justify your other statements if you didn't care about credibility.

By the way, metz, you're pretty darn funny, keep it up.

I usually post messages on this board informally and would not describe someone in that way if speaking formally. College kids go out and get drunk and do dumb things, thats what they do. As far as the ball incident, I heard Pistol may have an idea about that one. I was chased out of Savvis for walking across the band, apparently that is a no-no at the Savvis Center. Now that I have graduated from SLU and am employed, I should not be involved in those types of situations. I am credible and thats why I have defended it in the past, but I realize now that there is no real point. If you all knew the identity of some of the posters on the board you would be very surprised. There are some posters on this board, who you all often question about their credibility, who have very close connections to the program. Some may even have ties to those on the team.

It is substantial information backed by those within the program. Why don't you ask those who worked with Obi this summer about his work ethic? I would consider co-workers, in this case members of the athletic department, pretty credible sources. As far as that last statement, that is rediculous. Hate to ever bring credible information about a player that isn't all roses.

You said...."I have also heard that he has a very questionable work ethic and could be generally described as a *****."

ThIS NOT JUST A COMMENT ABOUT WORK ETHIC. Had youleft it about work ethic, fine. No you took it farther. It is inappropriate at the work place and inappropriate here.

Well I apologize for any disrespect to Obi. Apparently I should not have used that word to describe him. It was in fact a description of his work ethic because he was often times a no-show for his reponsibilities and to leave others high and dry is a ***** thing to do. For now on I will try to only use language that is suitable for the workplace.

For those of you younguns- you probably never heard of Marvin Barnes. Marvin was only one of the greatest BB players I have ever seen but because of his self destructive behavior he never really fulfilled his pro capabilities but as a college player goes he was nothing short of tremendous. Now, the college coach probably would have described him as lacking a work ethic - which he clearly did, was moody and difficult at times - which he clearly was, and had a nice mid jumper when open - which he clearly had. However, he was very athletic, a beast inside, and a man against boys during games. Lets just wait and see what happens to Obi - he may be all of the above - who knows - but he may also be able to really perform during games as Marvin Barnes did. Time will tell.