senior leadership

Out of the seniors on the team who do you think the leaders will be and why? And after averaging almost 9 points a game how can any of you not think Fisher wont average double figures.For this team to be any good this year they are gonna have to stay within the O and play great D that means the whole team. The bigs have got to catch and finish in the lane and hit there free throws. And if we dont rebound long long year. What does everyone think? From Seattle area and have Watched Fisher for a long time only a few people on this board have basketball knowledge. And his name is spelled FISHER. For those of you who still can't spell it after 4 years.

I think Josh Fisher is capable of scoring double figures, and I expect him to average double figures. He has the ability to lead the team in scoring, but he tends to lay back and let the game come to him. I think he cares much more about winning than scoring a gaggle of points, and he thinks of himself more of a pass-first point guard than a scoring guard.

I'm wondering about your statement that only a few people on this board have basketball knowledge. Are you suggesting that unless people are proclaiming Fish (our favorite way of shortening his name) is the savior of Billiken basketball, will lead the Bills in scoring, and be at least second-team all conference, they don't have basketball knowledge?

I love having the family and friends of Billikens posting on the board, but one "problem" is that they tend to inflate the importance of the player in question to the team.

Josh will definitely be a leader for the Billikens this year, but I think his leadership will be of the quiet variety. He will lead by really wanting to win and hating to lose, not by forcing a lot of shots looking to lead the team in scoring. He will also quarterback the team's defense, as he has done throughout his career.

Untill I see it on the court, I will say that Fisher will continue playing great defense and playing well within himself. I think he is very capable of being a scoring star on the team, but I don't think he will. As long as he keeps up his D and continues his mistake free offensive play he will be a great asset. As far as leadership i think this team will follow Sloan, everyone else is behind him.

I don't think Fisher is a savior by any means and don't know how his season will go, hopefully great. I do think that he is the glue that holds a team together. I think if anything happens to Fisher this year the team is in big trouble. Im not a friend of Fishers or a relative just have been following this board for a long time and some of the statements made by some posters (dont remember who) like Fisher will average 6 points and 4 assists if those are his stats you will be lucky to win the preseason games.

My thoughts on Fish are 7 pts, 4 ass, 3 reb.

To state that there are only a few people who post on the board that have any basketball knowledge is ridiculous... maybe we just disagree with you ... or maybe we are just wrong since I'm sure you are right.

Why don't you list the ppg for everybody on the team ... so we will know in advance.

Please post more often we can all use your tremendous insight.

I'm not saying I'm right about anything if Fisher is scoring 6 points and 4 assists this team is in big trouble. That is the way I see it and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Fisher's stats have improved every year at SLU and for you to think he is gonna do worse his senior year. Well just have to wait and see how things play out. I said some people don't have basketball knowledge and Im gonna stick with that if you have'nt played competively in college or high school you are a spectator and really dont have enough back ground to make assesments on players. I mean everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an a ***hole, and I enclude myself there so dont think Im singling anyone out.

All those things you listed were good valid points. But like wise with Basketball or cooking there is always those people who think they know alot because they watch basketball or they eat a lot of food. But I'm sure people don't know what those little ingredients are that make that meal so good. Or say what offense we are running,what is the defensive scheme. Sure you can learn by watching or tasting but the experience isn't there and people who have played these sports before do know and are better qualified at making an oponion on something they have experienced before rather they making some off the wall perdiction before a game has even been played.

Poppycock means bullsh*t. Another term like it is balderdash. Old people and British guys say poppycock alot.

Hey I was never blessed with the athletic skills to be able to play high level bball, but I have coached before. Do I get to be counted as someone who knows a little about the sport?

Coaches get more credit then anyone I have always found coaches to be the best source when wanting to gain basketball knowledge or any other sport. So I'm sure that you have alot more knowledge then some guy who after his team loses and goes home and can't get all the blue and white paint off is face. Then goes and gets on the net and tells everybody why we lost and what he would have done. I mean thats poppycock!!!!!!!

Im not gonna make any predictions on anyone tell I see them play on Dec.6th versus Arizona. After that game I think people will know who is ready for the season. 7 points and 4 assists can you please explain how he got worse from last year? So Slu I guess I'm asking you since your there and you know so much where will the points come from. I personally am not sure. So help me out!

to be able to credibly work poppycock into a billiken messageboard is no easy feat. congrats thicks!

i think we should take that as a challenge to try to augment our implied messageboard lexicon.

Of course ... I have no way of knowing for sure ... who will do or score what. The piont was to try and guess ... for fun. I do have basketball knowledge and have played. I don't equate points with success. I didn't say Josh was going to be worse.

In my opinion Josh along with Sloan will be the team leader ... He will run the floor and keep playing great defense (usually against the opponents best player).

When I originally tried to estimate who would score what ... I had Josh at 10 points ... but when I added up the totals ... they didn't add up. I knew we were not going to avg 80 pts. as a team ... so I reconsidered. IMO Josh does not look to score ... if we are getting points from elsewhere ... Josh will do whatever it takes to win, which does not neccesarily mean score. Now if the other guys are not scoring ... I think Josh can score more ... maybe 11 -13 pts a game if he had to ... it was just my guess that the others will score and he wont have to.

You came on making a statement that only a few people who post ... have basketball knowledge ... well that is ridiculous. Wouldn't it depend what you were doing as to how much knowledge you need, and how intricate that knowledge should be? There are a lot of people on this board who have been following basketball for many years. For what we do on this board which is discuss Billiken BBall and banter about our opinions ... however good or bad ... there is more than enough knowledge. In fact your insinuation that my or anyone else claiming that if Josh scored fewer points ... meant he was having a worse year makes me wonder about your knowledge.

With all that said ... welcome to the board ... the more posters with varied opinions the better the board. Go ahead and venture a guess on the players stats ... and the record of the team. It is all just for fun ... I don't think that the players are going to be held accountable to our wild guesses anyway.