Way to go Brian McBride

that had to be one of the worst called games I've ever seen. Brian is known for his toughness he has taken worse than that and stayed in the game.

It'll be hard to root for the Italians to beat the Chechs, but I'll have to. Ghana looked pretty good against the Chech's, but they certainly didn't play like thay did against us. We have our work cut out for us.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

Metz ... you have a unique ability, You piss me off one minute and make me laugh the next.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

I honestly didn't think Brian played that good of a game. He missed a relatively open look in the 2nd half, didn't get his head on any balls in the box (his specialty) and was the player offside that disallowed the goal in the 2nd half.

Still, the US as a whole played great and the referee really did seem to be cheating us. The 1st red card against us was an obvious make-up call but the problem was no make-up call was necessary.

Good luck to Italy on Thursday.

>I honestly didn't think Brian played that good of a game.

Did McBride do anything before taking the elbow to his face?

There were several guys attacking and trying to make something happen early, but I didn't notice McBride as one of them.

You have to give the guy credit for taking that cheapshot and coming back from it. I thought that would spark the team more than it did, but playing a man down like that for 30-40 minutes to finish with a tie is a great effort.

I would have liked to have seen Eddie Johnson in the second half. He was a spark against the Czechs and then gets no minutes vs. Italy. Beasley should be sent home. He gave no effort against the Czechs, lost his starting spot and then came in against Italy and was terrible again. Obviously he missed the message from the coach.

- Nate

I watched the entire game, and I though the ref was a former UN Weapons inspector or something. Someone who had a disdain for all things U.S.A., including their national soccer team. Poorly officiated game, and ABC color personality Marcelo Balboa (former US team captain) chastised the ref throughout the entire game, even when a call went the way of the Yankees. He said that these refs are being evaluated by FIFA, and he hopes that the US-Italy game would be the last World Cup game this guy does.

McBride played well, although his costly offsides call on a DeeMarcus Beasley goal would have put the US up 2-1. McBride always plays well in International play. He was Fullham's player of the Year in the EPL, for goodness sake!

Wow....I must have watched a different game than kshoe and Nate.

McBride is deservedly getting RAVE reviews nationally and internationally for his defensive effort in 2nd half, constantly getting back, and in the mix defending when the U.S. was down to 9 men. Can't say the same for several U.S. midfielders whom McBride covered for.

Also...McBride is a "target" forward, not a "Space" forward. Constantly U.S. midfielders were playing the bal linto space to him, rahter than at his feet. That isn't his fault.

He was the ONLY forward, and only one getting to balls. He won several balls off of long Keller punts....no one else did.

When he did have the ball, he played intelligently with it. He also held the ball well....again can't say the same for others.

He didn't finish well a few times on left foot on balls into space.

He also imo....chased down many poor serves that were deep, back end line serves to get a head or body on it and deflect off defender for corners.

Considering he was the only forward playing, his effort, and ability to do a lot of the little things many apparently don't notice...I thought he had a strong game. I wouldn't have minded a 75th minute sub to add an Eddie Johnson to play WITH him, not sub for him....and pull Beasley or Donovan. Arena had just subbed in Beasley so that would have been interesting...Had the U.S had a better goal differential...i.e. close loss to Czech's...I would have been fine with playing with what they had to finish game...they obviously wanted the result...and felt flow of game was what they wanted to at least get the draw...but game had chance to get 3 points.

While we are discussing the game, Carlos Bocanegra and Steve Cherundolo were absolutely terrific. I have been a past propenent of starting Bocanegra at left back and either move Lewis to left mid or bench.

I thought the Conrad for Convey sub was a terrific decision to save the game....and my guess is if U.S. had 10 men, would have ssen the Johnson sub.....but Arena right or worng just isn't going to sub in for Reyna or Donovan, even if it is late in game and they are exhausted....at least Reyna was defending a bit at that point.

Losing Mastroeni will be tough...he was good against Italy after having subpar game v Czech's. The only other qualified defensive mid I have confidence in ...is the injured and unavailable Cory Gibbs. ...who would also be a good choice in Pope's spot. I would anticipate Conrad for Pope, which is fine.....but someone will be playing out of position for Mastroeni....either Reyna, O'Brien...etc...because I don't think Olsen will get the call....

Dempsey.....Overall it was solid. Not worse or better than that. An improvement from the previous game's efforts. He has no fear which is a plus and is willing to attack the defense and push forward...needs to stay wide, doesn't always do that....creates opportunities and has knack for being in right place at right time to finish and and also to create those opportunities like a Twellman, from a different position. His play faded as the game progressed but a good, solid effort and a good timely sub for him in 2nd half. Everything is also relative based on expectation. For example, expectations are much higher for Beasley and Donovan and they have disappointed so far imo. Dempsey can either be entered as a nice spark...or to start the game with that spark....eventually I would like to see him do more in time...and he will....and also be able to go full 90 at high level. The experience is great for him. And as long as he learns from what is thrown at him....(he is a stubborn dude from what I have been told)...he will do fine.

Beasley has played exceptional soccer overseas at high level for high level team against high level competition...only American ever to play in Champions league final. ....etc..and at least he was inserted on the left side, after inexplicably starting on right side vs Czech's....but he seemed to disappear after the goal he scored was called back, instead of taking over the game, and wreaking havoc. He isn't alone. I have much higher expectations for Donovan as well. was a bit surprised that even considering the wide open space and down a man that Donovan was virtually walking last 20 minutes of game, and was a wasted player at that point. He ws better in this game...but not good enough. He should be U.S.'s best player on field and he isn't.

I don't think he is a prima donna. I think he is a good player, but not as good as the hype. I like him better up front than I like him at mid. I also thought we would have seen Eddie Johnson, and I would have thought for McBride. When it became 10 on 9 ... there was going to be loads of space ... not exactly where Brian excells ... I'd have rather seen O'Brian for Landon and Johnson for McBride. If O'Brian isn't fit enough to give us the last 20 minutes ... why is he on the team ... the last 20 were suited for Landon ... he just didn't seem to have the energy. I would not have removed Dempsey. I think making the subs would have given us more of a push for the win ... instead of what seemed to me to be settling for the tie.

I too wanted Johnson in, he seemed to be the only player that made anything happen in the Czech game.

The last 7+ minutes were torture the obvious decision by the US to drop back and play defense was rediculous. I thought we were doing well taking it to the Italians even down a man and couldn't believe we just stopped trying to win. With our -3 goal differential I don't think that was the best strategy.

Is Pope trying to get Yellow Cards?

We can beat Ghana, I believe, I believe.

He may have ... but he has stunk in this world cup. I agree he was on the wrong side in the first game, but there is no excuse for his uninspired lazy play against the Italians. My problem with Beasley is he always seems to have problems settling the ball, especially in traffic. I like him in open spaces where he can run onto the ball. He looked like he was pouting Saturday

It was "torture" for you watching the game??? Try being one of 8 field players for the US running up and down a 110x70 yd pitch for 40 minutes. I don't think anyone "stopped" trying to win. We were a man down on a WIDE open field. Getting that tie was awesome given the circumstances and who we were playing.

Ghana will be tough. That game against the Czechs was one of the best of the tournament.

I think McBride was kept in due to experience. I wondered if Johnson would get in and try to stretch the Italian defense a bit but wasn't sure how well he would get back on defense.

I think the back for Ghana shapes up with Lewis on the left, Boca and Gooch at center back, and Cherundolo at right back. I don't like Lewis versus the speed of Ghana, so maybe Convey fills in as he did a bit during friendly games.

I like Dempsey again out at right mid with Reyna dropping back to dmid and Donovan moving to attacking mid. Reyna's speed would be exposed a bit but I'm not sure who else they can play there for Pablo. Left mid would have to be Beasley as his two way play and speed would be needed to help out the left back. Up top, McBride and Johnson. I could see O'Brien getting some time it at mid at some point.

I'd be surprised if the back line v Ghana wasn't Cherundolo, Gooch, Conrad, Bocanegra. Only other player with possibilities is Lewis at left back only, and I would not prefer it.

As I said I would have substituted Johnson for Donovan around 75th minute. With 9 players...tough to play 2 forwards. McBride played because he had played well, and did a lot of little things well, and he is going to get the benefit of the doubt from Arena every time as do players like Pope and other Arena favorites.

O'Brien hasn't looked fit...would be surprised to see him again.

I did think the sub for Dempsey was fine at that time. Think he will and should see some time again.

More has been needed from Convey, Beasley and Donovan....the most. Would not be surprised to see Convey and or Beasley not get time Thurs.

And the result was a great result against a World Power....with 9 players....sure they could and possibly should have won the game... and it is easy to second guess. People should be encouraged at that game.

If O'Brian isn't fit to play 20 minutes, whay is he on the team.

I agree with your back line.

I would not have taken out Dempsey, it would have been Donovan, but I of course realize that isn't going to happen.

If Beasley gets time ... Arena needs to have a sit down with him and make sure he is in the game.

It was a great result ... I am encouraged, but I can also see things that I think we could have done differently.

Does anyone know if there's any way to watch the game online? I know sites like ESPN and Yahoo have the Gamecast, but it's not great for soccer. Free video or audio would sure be nice for someone stuck in an office...hey, the NCAA tournament did it this year.

"O'Brien hasn't looked fit...would be surprised to see him again."

Based off of the 1/2 he played against the Czech Republic, you don't think he look fit?

If O'Brien can give 45 minutes, i'd take it. However, it doesn't seem likely that we will see him.

Beasley has been absolutely horrible, from his first touch to his attitude. I called my brother at halftime of the Italy game and basically begged for Beasley, hoping he would show some spirit. He showed nothing. He didn't run at defenders, dished the ball off around the 18, didn't pressure much when getting back on defense. He looked apathetic at best. That's unfortunate. We are a much better team when he has his head right.

I agree with those who would advocated a sub of E. Johnson for McBride. Love McBride and he is vastly underrated because of the little things he will do that go unnoticed. But would have liked to have seen the infusion of Eddie's energy.