Luke Meyer update

I spoke with Luke Meyer tonight and figured some people here might be interested.

He said he has scholarship offers from SLU, Nebraska, Evansville and Indiana State. He has been talking to Stanford, Princeton and Columbia. He is waiting to see if he is accepted to Stanford, which is a prerequisite before they can offer a scholarship, and should find out by the end of August.

Meyer made an official visit to Stanford already, and has made unofficial visits to SLU and Nebraska. He said he plans to make a decision before the start of the basketball season, but he is pretty wide open right now.

- Nate

It sounds to me like Luke is waiting to hear from Stanford. can't say I blame him considering they are a better program and a better school. Hopefully his parents will want to see him play near home.

I don't know if anyone knows this but with the Stanford admission requirements do these players do an early admission or something? Most admissions aren't done until the Spring but obviously most ballers won't wait until then. I'm sure that Montgomery has indicated he has an offer in hand if he qualifies. I hate to ever hope a kid doesn't get accepted to a chool, but...

would be great but I'm not sure that either is going to happen. If Meyer came to me tommorrow and said I want to be a Billiken I'd take that over waiting on the possibility of Liddell choosing SLU (he's got a lot of good choices out there) and then the possiblity of him qualifying. Give me the sure thing.

I understand your sentiment but there are an awful lot of 6'4/6'5 who haven't verballed. It's not really necessary to rush into anything. A really good player will slip to us in the next month or so if we just stand pat, IMO. The problem with Romar is he kept recruiting kids we had no chance of getting right up until the fall signing period.

thicks, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want Meyers. If Meyers is good enough to play for one of the better Pac10 teams and if he can meet Stanford's academic requirements....what's not to like?

Jason Edwin couldn't handle college academics and Floyd McClain has been injury prone. Hopefully, Liddell and Evans don't follow suit!

If Meyer say yes to SLU that is good enough for me. If Stanford is after him there must be something there although we all have heard or seen his slow as mollasses shot.

I really would like us to get more than one area player this year. We must be in on some guys outstate though. Rivals still lists us as strong for Justin Cerasoli, so who knows.

If he wants to be a Billiken, then swell. But he appears to want to go to Stanford. Besides, both Tommie Liddell and Terry Evans are rated higher than Meyer and appear to be better athletes than Meyer.

As for whether I would want a player Stanford likes, I have to say that I've never been particularly fond of Stanford or the way it plays. Therefore, if Stanford likes a player, I'm not prone to say, "Ooh, that's a player SLU has to have!"

Luke Meyer would make positive contributions to the team for sure but someone like a Tommie Liddell could raise the team to another level. That said, I would be happy if we grabbed either of these guys with an open scholarship. Luke Meyer is Brad's kind of player--solidly built, handles the ball well, superior shooter. Liddell has such an upside, however, that I think he is worth the risk on the acedemics.

Meyer told me he took an official visit to Stanford.

He did say, however, that he is not assured of a scholarship offer from Stanford if he is accepted to the school. He said the coaching staff would look at the scholarship situation again at that time and figure out what to do from there.

The scholarship offer from Stanford might not come, but Meyer still has a lot of options. He could end up in the Pac 10, Conference USA, Big 12, Ivy League or Missouri Valley.

He listed a number of factors that will influence his decision, including the conference the school plays in, how good the team is and how much he could play right away. Basically, he seems to be wide open right now.

- Nate

imo, luke meyer is taking a little bit of a risk here, especially since the offer to shaw is made. let's say if shaw commits and liddell decides to come. then, he hopes that stanford accepts him. this offer from slu has been on the table for several months now and luke has not made a move. if montgomery wants him. that's fine. he can afford to make a mistake or two at his level.

i know luke is a good player, but he is not david lee or tyler hansbrough. he is a marginal to decent c-usa recrut. he should not be holding slu up. you saw what happened to kalen grimes. he wanted to go to kansas and self, but he himmed and hawed, self took the guy from oklahoma and took the grimes' offer off the table. that's why he committed to mizzou.

if we gain meyer, that's cool. but if we lose him, it's not that big of deal. imo. personally, i would also look at the stemler kid and the ledbetter kid and see what they do after one year at swic. i think they are both better than meyer. yet, i don't know if they cut the mustard, either. not to mention, players such as evans and liddell.

evans was hurt around christmas time and hasn't been the same since. he was playing at a very high level before he got hurt at xmas time. his 3=point shot has improved, but his overall game still is raw is relation to his tremendous athletic ability.

bad boyz for life

You're right. If Meyer really wants to go to SLU, he should have committed already. But it looks like he has enough options -- and a variety, at that -- to wait, and still go to a decent school where he'll get a chance to contribute.

Right now, I'd rank the St. Louis area senior class, potential-wise, as: 1. Grimes; 2. Liddell; 3. Evans; 4. Polk; 5. X. Price; 6. Aaron Jackson; 7. Meyer; 8. Curtis Muse; 9. Monroe Douglass Jr.; 10. ??????

I'm sure I'm missing somebody. There are a lot of fringe guys -- like a Vaughn West (Chaminade), who is a tweener at 6-6 but may have grown -- that are tough to figure.

- Nate

With 3Star and p diddy in that there should be plenty of wing talent to choose from and it is not the end of the world if Meyer isn't wearing Billiken Blue next year. I also ain't going to get hung up over where the SLU wing recruits calls home either. If he is an area kid, fine, but I refuse to lose sleep over it if he comes from outside the metro area.

doesn't appear to be a big deal to me. Based on what I've heard from this thread, Stanford's recruitment of him is lukewarm. It looks like he's a secondary option from them, meaning that they probably see him as a 9th-12th man on their squad. In other words, if Meyer was even on the West Coast, his primary targets would probably be the WAC, Mountain West type schools and not the Pac-10. I'm with Thicks and 3-Star in that I would much rather have Liddell and Evans. In fact, I'd wait a little longer on those two than sign Meyer early.

Maybe he has worked on it. Now playing against less than stellar competition it may look better. This is not just my single observation, I noticed it and was it was validated by a couple people on the board and I have heard Earl Austin Jr comment on it twice, once at a billiken club meeting.

i would be shocked if we are a true player for cerasoli. my view of his performance at the shootout was that he is spectacular. imo he would immediately be the best player on the team next year if he was to become a billiken.

that all said, everything i have ever read about him puts him as a probable ohio state buckeye or a depaul blue demon with a few big east schools in line after that.

imo, if luke meyer has been offered a scholarship by coach brad and he wants to be a billiken, that is good enough for me. come on down luke.