Problems with Arena Location

An article in the West End Word stated that due to the exaggerated prices being requested by some property owners in the university's preferred location in Grand Center that SLU is exploring alternative arena locations on campus.

Slu would not specify the on campus options but Vince Schoemel suggested that the site the university has in mind is its baseball fields,at the northwest corner of Laclede and Compton Avenues.

(where does the baseball team play)

Schoemel went on the say that SLU needs to make a decision soon and that the University did not realize all the investment that had been made in the Grand Center Area in their original plans.Sounds like our X Mayor and Slu are not seeing eye to eye on this plan as he goes on to talk about how the money freed up by SLU not using the TIF will be used.

This was reported on a couple weeks ago.

At the time I thought SLU had identified a site on campus, not the baseball fields, where they would put the arena.

I think this is a shakedown of SLU, Schoemel will work to get the TIF for SLU but then wants them to pay above market rate for the property. Sounds shady to me. Biondi will not tolerate this, I am sure he already has several alternatives, or will make Schoemel and the Central west end group cave on their demands.

The TIF has been set up in three tiers of projects. None of the second tier project are eligible for financing until the first tier projects are financed, and none of the third tier projects are eligible for financing until both the first and the second tier projects are financed. SLU's project is the largest overall project and is one of a handfull of projects in the first tier. If the SLU project stalls or is dropped from the TIF, it will significantly impact all of the remaining projects. The Board of Alderman, not Vince Schoemel, had approved the TIF projects and their respective tiers. Private property owners, not Vince Schoemel, are free to negotiate the sale price of the properties within the TIF district.

The article is as someone said not new news. Your explanation of the TIF was interesting and informative - thanks. SLU will not give up their baseball fields without an alternative - the school as worked to hard to bring all the sports back to campus. Do you know if the TIF carries with it Emminent Domain rights? If so, the TIF district could simply condemn the property and then sell it to SLU - long process but still a possible option if they have the authority.

Fr. Biondi spoke to the downtown Rotary club last week and said that he preferred that the new arena be built in the previously discussed Theresa location. He said the University needs to acquire around 50 seperate properties. A few of the property owners were asking 200%-300% over apraised value. If they can't reach an agreement then the greenspace at Compton Ave. just south of the garage would be the back up location. I don't think this has to replace the basesball stadium. Biondi seemed fairly confident that Grand Center would be where it will be built.

who owns the closed down schoolike building west of compton across from harris stowe and across laclede from the baseball field?

you seem to be describing the location i am thinking of. that seems like a nice spot and we wouldnt have to tear up the baseball field. why not there?

This was actually the second article in the West End Word concerning

SLU's arena.The first one was about 2 or 3 weeks ago and mainly was about the individual who bought the old Firehouse (which was a nite club for a short time) on Olive and rehabbed it into his living quarters.I do believe that that article stated that Slu could use the right of Eminent Domain if it came to that.

The school-like building next to the tennis court is in use. I am not sure what school it is, but it is full of kids and buses during the day. It is called the Waring School, or something similiar to that. This is just what I observed driving past it to class everyday.

is one of the schools that is projected to be closed by the new management team that was hired by the St. Louis Public School Board. This leads me to think that SLU could be interested in that area for the arena.

No, it's actually literally one block to the north of the old Firehouse night club, across the street from a building that is being rehabbed as lofts. It's a small, narrow building with a large red door in the block of Locust west of compton, and it sits across the street from a large building that is currently being renovated as lofts. I don't know if we have the capability to show pictures on this forum, but I have a photo of the building if anyone would be interested in seeing it.