SLU1, DePaul 0

Heard interview with coach after the game on KFNS. Played four along the back, with Mo Benne, freshman from Chaminade, playing one of the outside back slots. He was really worried about this match as the field must be really tough to play on. DePaul was 6-1 at home last year. They had just beaten Louisville.

Also heard that Will John, the goal scorer in the game, is the son of Emilio John, one-time player for the St Louis Steamers in the past.

I was asked for a report as I am in Chicago in business...here ya go Skip and soccer fans...I need to get to dinner and cocktails, so it will be a hurried but hopefully detailed version.

DePaul's field? In a word, "intimate,"...Let's put it this way...I had conversations with the near linesman throughout the game, even talked with Ryan Wileman, DURING the game and DePaul's best player. IF I took two steps forward, I would have been offsides. Think the movie "Hoosiers" road game. Let's put it another way, I could personally kick a ball from sideline to sideline in air, no bounce, without problem.(granted I am a soccer player...but you get the picture)...also, let's say you are facing the field, as you would at a SLU home game...top left corner of field is, gasp, a SOFTBALL DIAMOND WITH FULL DIRT infield...like when a pro football team plays on a baseball field with the dirt. The rest of the field was fine, bumpy, very short cut grass, bouncy ball. Not a great pitch by any means, but playable, serviceable. Field length is also short, not as short as width, but you could go a little past half-field and set up far post runs with cross. Buildings surround the field on campus in tree-lined streets and afflunt Lincoln Park area. At one end, A huge Net...think Arena football is behind goal to "Protect" a building. Field is surrounded by 3 sides by buildings overlooking field. And the 4th side, behind the left side goal, is a sidewalk and street with bustling activity.

Up close and personal...not what you want...but for one game a year, sort of fun and bad at same time. No lights, hence the day game. Kids kept walkig back and forth on the far end to and from class.

I hope I have described this well.

Big East reps must have been impressed by the soccer field when they did their inspection of Rue Paul. Can't wait for them to go to a hoops game in February if Rue Paul is about 5-11 at the time. 135 fans wearing bags over their heads is very impressive. Got to go, Red Sox vs Yanks! Go Sox....reverse the c(k)urse!

Weather was PERFECT, 80 degrees, no wind, sunny, zero clouds, bright sunshine.

Lineup for SLU:

GK...Jeff Sackaman, Soph from STL St. Mary's(Hutton was on bench with his left arm wrapped halfway to his elbow, soft air cast.)

D Pusateri...right back

D Gannon...center back...sweeping middle

D Benne...left back

D Guffey....Center back

Mf...Grazier, defensive Center mid

MF...McKee, attacking mid

MF...DiRaimondo..right side

MF...Matteson...left side

MF/F Peplinski...up top/midfield

F...Isibevic

This is not your father's DePaul or older brother either...they are improving...in fact, they started two seniors, letting the younger more talented kids play...te picked off a couple of Ill state HS champs of past few years...like an STL Chaminade deal of recent years...They are not very physical or big, a skinny group mostly...they started Frosh Pat Farrell at left back from SLUH. solid defender. He got hurt, looked like separated shoulder halfway through game. Did not return. DePaul has former DeSmet grad, and DePaul grad Joe Ahearn as an assistant now...he also works for U.S. soccer in Chicago.

Saw 2003 grad Joe Hammes' parents in full SLU gear...Joe played for Wave United A League, started every game when healthy and is doig very well...he will play indoor with the Wave this season...as the outdoor and indoor team are owned by same folks. Nick Walls 2003 grad was at game, lving 5 minutes from DePaul's field, and was Chicago Fire's developmental player this season, going back and forth with them and A league team, Wave United.

A softball diamond with a full dirt infield in the middle of a college soccer field? Ewww. We didn't like playing on fields like that when I was in grade school playing in the CYC leagues. My parish always replaced the dirt with sod in the fall for soccer season. I can't believe that DePaul would have such as poor facility, even if soccer isn't all that big time.

DePaul had little depth, substituting once all game, and SLU wore them out in second half. First half, edge to SLU , but DePaul hung with them. SLU needed to calm down, way too many long balls. You have to be quick and decisive on that field, and SLU was, but not crisp. First half...SLU brought the ball up a LOT on right side, Pusateri, DiRaimondo, heavily involved. Vedad had a big wrap on his right hand, the size of a softball(like a mini version that NFL LB had last week, if anyone saw it). I really liked the way Vedad turned and shot the ball without the extas in the first half...he got off a lot of shots. I was pleased.

Sackman was busy involved a lot on goal but never tested too much. He made a nice save a a cros and good header, but right at him on goal line in middle of goal, in second half. Sackman was put into a tough spot in the game, and did fine...but his clearance of the ball was awful...he rolled or threw out most, but he would free kick ball on ground instead of punting and he shanked 3 or 4 out of bounds, not good, probably nerves. He wa fine.

Guffey, terrific, physical, very physical, and won every head ball in the air all game in back.

SLU was MUCH better in second half, and dominated the half. Could and should have been a two goal win for SLU...

Substitutions for SLU...Will John for Vedad 30 plus minutes in, and Wileman for Peplinski...John then procedded to play the entire rest of game except final 5 minutes where Vedad replaced him.(so Vedad sat almost all of second half). John sat most of first half. Wileman came in and played rest of game. Peplinski did not return until final minute for McKee. Spiess did not start but started and played all of second half on left side, moving Matteson to right side, and DiRaimondo sat half of second half before replacing Matteson.

Benne is a horse at right back...typical frosh, played great at times, physical, steady, and would commit dumb foul setting up a free kick later. He played well, ...his service was very good with the left foot.

Grazier, imo is best player on team, and today was best player on field...he worls well with one touches in tight space, which happened all day today.

Peplinski, ...mixed it up a lot, I thought he played very well, very talented kid.

McKee had one of his better games...solid player, but lacks creative ability offensively, a role player, played well, and very hard.

Wileman...man he always looks slow to be play on the offensive end...but he always manages to be in right place at right time. Leader on the team, takes charge, heavily involved in the action...with the tree trunk legs. Not afraid to shoot either. Had good game.

Gannon, uneventful, not heavily involved, solid back line play.

John, has a lot of talent, understands game well...NEEDS TO PLAY HARD AT ALL TIMES, NOT JUST WHEN SLU IS ATTACKING...he has mental lapses of hustle away from ball, caught watching...see Vedad...but he and Vedad have the creative skills SLU needs up front. SLU has plenty of solid role playing midfielders...they need finishers, superior finsishers.

Matteson, average game

Vedad...good first half getting, turning on one guy and sooting...needs to work on coming back to ball, and holding off defender and working harder to get ball...he obviously excels in two big areas, one...facing the defender with the ball...and two...he is terrific at flick-ons from long balls or serves with feet or head...I mean serious skill there. His teammates sem to get frustrated with him, as he had some words with Casey Spiess...when Spiess went forward to Vedad on ground, not a good ball from Casey, but Vedad didn't work hard for it either...little things like that...Vedad has to use is upper body and shoulders, and bang...and expect to get hit not looking for whistle.

SLU had a LOT of second half chances, and again, dominated play...less long balls, more interior stuff...worked it wide on left side...first half was all right side, well, left side with Spiess, and Benne all second half. Spiess didn't have a great game for him, he is smart and understands game but his execution was off.

SLU's goal was cross, and nicely let go to wide open left side, and shot hammered wide but deflected hard, bang bang off of John, and re-directed in...happened so fast, many folks missed it. Even some of DePaul's players thought it was an own goal, others thought it went off of John. I believe and in...it was a crazy play, lucky goal..it might have even deflected off of the defender for own goal...but they gave it to John. SLU then could play with lead, but never sat back...Wileman was all alone in box with keeper and should have been an easy one...but ball skipped over his foot, tough hop. John later blasted one wide...Twice, Guffey headed nice serves straight down, and bounced up off of bar and over goal.

SLU used the short field for endless left to right crosses in second half and got great position on many.

Wasn't pretty, but a win...get in and out of there with a win.

I will answer questions/comments later.

gotta run...

Courtside ... thanks for the report, glad to hear we won under tough conditions. Glad you liked Grazier ... I wish he would play more of an attacking midfielder as he holds the ball and distributes well.

Vedad has had the cast for the last few games ... I hope he begins to get the team play concept soon.

I agree with your comments on Will ... but it sometimes takes a freshman a while to understand the difference between working hard and working HARD.

Are you going to Saturdays game? I have to miss a home game for the first time due to obligations with my wifes family ...

Money and upside talk 72.

3 million people in the surrounding cramped neighborhood, and another 8 million in the burbs. DePaul has a lot of potential, ...just haven;t gotten it right in a while. Joey Myer could not recruit...Pat Kennedy bought cars, paid folks, out of control program...at somepoint DePaul will get it right.

As for soccer, they have no room, ala NYC to play in their neighborhood...maybe they can go to far suburbs like SLU did in Fenton for years?

Well it looks like this conference will be up for grabs to a few teams this year. I really thought UAB had something going but they seeemed to have hit a rought spot much like our boys did during their homestand. Luckily we came away with two ties. I wouldn't count them out though.

Marquette is currently tied with us for first in conference. I like our chances if it came down to us vs them. We shouldn't overlook Cinnci though; they're 6-1-4 and made a nice run last year in the conf tourney.

Otherwise, teh DePaul game report was excellent. Can you see DePaul's soccer field from the L on the way to Wrigley? If so, then I did see that field over the fourth of July. Pitiful.

Well I'll be at the USF game this weekend during SLU homecoming. Hoep to see a nice crowd out there. I'll report back but don't expect anything as well done as the report from Depaul. :)

Thanks SLUBALLS. I knew no one else could make it there. I can't hit every game, but go to as many home ones and a few road ones when possible. ...the L stop in that neighborhoos is about two blocks down by Kell's bar and McGee's bar(I identify many geographies via pubs and bars) on Webster...great area, very pretty and expensive homes along the tree-lined streets there...so yes it probably was the field you saw.

Marquette concerns me, because they beat South Florida early in year, and really do not have many tough ones left. That annoyng long ball style is frustrating teams I suppose. They beat Memphis 3-2 as well. Cinci, has not played many conference games at all. unbeaten so far, only played a few.

Indiana coming up as well...and though they are struggling for them, unranked at moment...I know they will jump back up. They have a lot of ties. It is psychological for SLU to beat IU...something they don't do much. It is a good year to do so. I noticed Mike Ambersley not on IU's roster...anyone with info on that? Former Big Ten frosh of year. big time player, etc...

South Florida won't be a cake walk. Must start strong. I thin kthey will do fine. SLU played NINE frosh vs DePaul...starting 7.

btw...Thanks for Memphis/UAB score

I forgot to mention that according to former teammate Nick Walls, Jackie is miserable in KC as their drafted developmental player this year. They never really gave him a chance ther. Sounds as though he may be exiting there next year, and counting combines has played 1.5 years straight of soccer and needs/wants a break.