Chicago PF has offer from SLU

Per Brian Stinnette http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/brianstinnette24.html

UNLV and St. Louis are two of the schools that are showing lots of love to Class of 2007 Chicago Whitney Young star Dwight McCombs. McCombs, a 6-7 post, has had a standout spring on the AAU circuit with the Illinois Wolves. McCombs has an offer on the table from St. Louis, and is slated to take an unofficial visit to UNLV.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Orange Julius says we haven't offered Brandenburg, so why have we offered this guy? Does this make any sense to anyone? We offer an out of town kid who is not a high-major prospect over a big time high-major prospect in our own city, who happens to be a center.

maybe Brandenburg has stated that he isn't interested in SLU ... maybe he has red grass in his front yard and Brad doesn't like red grass, maybe he likes Pork Chops and Brad doesn't want any kid who likes Pork Chops.

I get such a kick out of everyone who wants to know why Brad has or hasn't done this or that and they (like me) have so little clue about what is really being said or going on.

Criticize his results ... fine. But it is hard to knock what you know knothing about ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I have to agree with you here Skip. We have no way of knowing what is being said by the "recruits" to Brad and vice-versa.

In this case, we're talking about a kid who can commit this fall as opposed to one who's over a year away from committing to a school.

Plus an offer is a long way from a player making the final committment to a program. It only counts if he sends in a signed NLI.

With Bradenburg, its very possible he has told Brad he wants to play away from home (IE The ACC). We just don't know the full story. If so, Brad will keep his fingers in the pot, but he's not going to give the kid an offer till he's shown the proper interest in the SLU program.

let's knock his results...4 years under .500 ball, no ncaa invites, four maybe five legit D-1 recruits...2 recruits in a year where he could have had 4....attendance level....seasons where we averaged under 60 ppg...should we go on....I don't get this guy......

or you could say 3 out of 4 years over .500 after taking over a program that was in shambles. A team that is clearly on the rise. 3 players made last years various All A-10 teams. I could go on and on putting a positive spin on UB ... but you are just a negative guy. We could look at the same info and you would see it one way and I would see it another. What makes you think a school with the history of SLU can all of the sudden become a consistent NCAA team without a few ups and downs.

You have no clue what a D1 recruit is. If he only has 4, you gotta think he is a pretty damn good game coach. Just curious who are the 4?

What makes anyone think UB didn't show interest ... NO one on this board really has a clue whether or not Brad told the kid he would be a great fit at SLU and Brad was told that he really wouldn't be interested ... so Brad moves on ... as I would. To think Brad has not shown this kid some interest is ridiculous.

>I have to agree with you here Skip. We have no way of

>knowing what is being said by the "recruits" to Brad and

>vice-versa.

>

>In this case, we're talking about a kid who can commit this

>fall as opposed to one who's over a year away from

>committing to a school.

>

>Plus an offer is a long way from a player making the final

>committment to a program. It only counts if he sends in a

>signed NLI.

>

>With Bradenburg, its very possible he has told Brad he wants

>to play away from home (IE The ACC). We just don't know the

>full story. If so, Brad will keep his fingers in the pot,

>but he's not going to give the kid an offer till he's shown

>the proper interest in the SLU program.

If he offers and Brandenburg chooses else where it's Brandenburg's fault, if he doesn't offer it's UB's fault. You cant let high-major prospect pass through the area without an offer. You must make a statement that you are committed to offering the best available talent.

In my opinion, to act like we don't need to at least offer this kid is completely asinine, and to act like it is okay that we haven't already is equally asinine. So what if he says he isn't interested in SLU at this point. It is a coaches job to convince a kid that his school IS the best choice for him. That is why it is called RECRUITING.

This kid is local. What does it cost SLU and Soderberg to recruit and offer him, even if the odds against him coming here are long?

I disagree with you. Soderberg's only post season runs were with teams led by Romar players. His first season he got to the NIT with a team led by Perry, Fisher, Brown, and Sloan. I think one could make the argument that was a team that had the ability to be a tourney team. His second trip to the NIT was fueled by Sloan and Fisher. Not sure how you could say he inherited a team that was in shambles when he has only had success with that team that was "in shambles."

only 5 division one recruits? you do know that sacramento state is division one. st bonaventure is division one. prarie state is division one. there are over 320 division one schools. you are saying that only 5 of our current players are division one players? that is one of the stupidest things you have ever written slu72.

I am glad you are not our coach. Brad needs to RECRUIT him!!! We don't pay Brad as much as we do for him to give up on stud local players.

We are not UMSL or Lindenwood fans hoping he stays home. SLU is a D1 school. What does it say to everyone if we give up on kids?