Chicago PF has offer from SLU

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the spell check ... but what is asinine (see I learn from my mistakes, now I can enter a spelling bee and if asinine comes up i'll get it right) is to think you should waste your time recruiting a kid who shows no interest.

but the thing is none of us know ... including you.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Here is why you have to recruit and offer Bradenberg a scholarship.

If I were a recruiter going against SLU I would say something like the following:

"Why would you want to go to SLU where the local good players don't even want to go."

or

"If SLU was such a program on the rise why wouldn't a BRANDENBERG (local high level talent) not even get an offer from them."

or

"If BS is such a good coach why would he not recruit a kid this good in is own backyard. Whats wrong with Brad? Or better yet whats wrong with the school that a kid would not even entertain an offer from them."

"If BS thought you were such a great player why did it take him so long to offer? We have been with you from the beginning!!!" SEE MATT SHAW.

All this negative recruiting is null and void with a simple SCHOLARSHIP OFFER.

Guys this is really not that difficult.

YOu have no idea what is going on with this player so why do you keep posting these things. The young man may have decided that he wants to go to college out of town. He is at DeSmet where many families are more wealthy and so a lot of the kids are looking to go to a "name" school out of town. I have no idea whether that is the case or not but I did know David Lee very well and that was exactly his situation. If Brandenberg or his coach have told Brad that it would be a waste of time to pursue him or offer a scholarship then it would be a waste of time and valuable resources and limited recruiting days to do what you are saying. In the real world of recruiting there are not unlimited days, unlimited visits, unlimited money and unlimited offers so the coach has to use his bext judgment as to who to pursue. Lorenzo made a terrible mistake in going after "national" kids rather than local kids and we paid a big price when he left us with no recruits. No matter what anyone says he left us with big holes and Brad did a great job of filling in with late recruits.

I am really fed up with all the negativity about the team and the coaches. It is totally uncalled for and the ridiculous posts by people who know nothing about anything but still post as if they are "insiders" is a joke. I do have a lot of "inside" information but I almost never post anything here because I value the trust that people put in me. We have a wonderful school with a good coach who is a human being. What that means is that just like the rest of you naysayers he is not perfect! Give it a rest!

Sounds to me your not tired of.500 ball yet.

IF BS is such a nice human being put him on the fundraisng committee and hire a Basketball coach.

This can probably be settled very quickly, Orange Julius would the Bradenberg kid consider an offer from SLU? Yes or no?

>YOu have no idea what is going on with this player so why do

>you keep posting these things. The young man may have

>decided that he wants to go to college out of town. He is at

>DeSmet where many families are more wealthy and so a lot of

>the kids are looking to go to a "name" school out of town. I

>have no idea whether that is the case or not but I did know

>David Lee very well and that was exactly his situation. If

>Brandenberg or his coach have told Brad that it would be a

>waste of time to pursue him or offer a scholarship then it

>would be a waste of time and valuable resources and limited

>recruiting days to do what you are saying. In the real world

>of recruiting there are not unlimited days, unlimited

>visits, unlimited money and unlimited offers so the coach

>has to use his bext judgment as to who to pursue. Lorenzo

>made a terrible mistake in going after "national" kids

>rather than local kids and we paid a big price when he left

>us with no recruits. No matter what anyone says he left us

>with big holes and Brad did a great job of filling in with

>late recruits.

>

>I am really fed up with all the negativity about the team

>and the coaches. It is totally uncalled for and the

>ridiculous posts by people who know nothing about anything

>but still post as if they are "insiders" is a joke. I do

>have a lot of "inside" information but I almost never post

>anything here because I value the trust that people put in

>me. We have a wonderful school with a good coach who is a

>human being. What that means is that just like the rest of

>you naysayers he is not perfect! Give it a rest!

You offer the kid if nothing else than to be on the list of schools that offered him. You have to show people that you have an eye for talent even if you can't get it. When he was a surprise player at the Top 10 camp, this time LAST YEAR, he should've gotten the offer. He was still a relative unknown and may have been partial to SLU because it was his first offer. And yes, there are unlimited offers. If you have 4 scholarships available and 7 high-major division talents, you offer all 7 and they can sign away on a first come first serve basis. You usually wont get your top 2 choices anyway. You can't just save schollies for the guys you really want, because if you dont get them, you have nothing.

This is crazy. Like one month ago, this Brandenburg guy had been mentioned on this board 2-3 times. Then someobody comes on here and says we haven't offered Brandenburg, and Drew and crew fly off the deep end. Drew, how many times have you seen Brandenburg (i don't even know his first name) play? And in these multiple times of seeing Brandenburg play, how come you've never mentioned the need to recruit him prior to a week ago? Seems like several people on this thread are bashing Brad and co with absolutely NO information on a kid other than Vtime's posts and a Rivals snippet. I'd be willing to bet most of those people haven't even READ a full article on the guy because they don't have a Rivals or Hoopscoop account.

Same thing happened with Stemler. Early winter...people could really care less about Stemler. Then, uh oh, Marquette gets involved, and Stemler is the most coveted recruit since Larry Hughes. We lost out on Stemler...it sucks. Maybe Brad doesn't want Brandenburg...maybe Brandenburg doesn't want SLU. Who the hell knows. Certainly not you.

First, I should have stated recruits who could compete effectively at a high level of D-1 ball....we like to think of ourselves as being a step above mid major but below the major-major's, so we should recruit kids to play at that level. Using that as a ruler, I jumped too soon, my number of 4 is too low. IV, IO, TL, KL, TF, RB have been the only 6 that could compete for meaningful playing time at CUSA and the upper level teams of the A-10. You want us to be like Duquense or ST. B then add in the DP's, DB's, LM's, BH's...etc as being D-1 recruits....I thought we wanted to be better than them. But of course, I'm just a negative old SOB who hates kool aid.

Now those are completely different statements. You first said 4 maybe 5 D1 recruits ... now you say 6 high D1 recruits.

DB is only a sophomore so I wouldn't close the book on him yet as a high D1 recruit. DP ... I wouldn't either just yet ... though he needs to improve that shot drastically this summer ... and I am not sure he can. AK, Obi and DM ... maybe we should let them play a couple 1st. Now if none of them score over 30 in their 1st games ... then I say UB screwed up ... but lets let them play that 1st game.

As I have stated over and over ... I don't think Brad has done a great job, but at SLU a school with 3 NCAA appearances in the last 40 or so years ... and what 1 win. We are ready to consider firing a guy because we haven't made the dance in 4 years. Seems silly to me. That doesn't mean I accept where we are now. I don't ... I just think that Brad is on the way to getting us there. I didn't like the 9-21 year any more than any one else, and if you take the 2 best players off of al but 20 teams in the country ... they will suck also. I have been critical of Brad not recruiting a 4 ... now he has, 2 years in a row. He also has the premier big man in our conference and one of the best in the country. We have 2 all conference rookies.

I don't think we should give a coach 10 years ... but I think 4 is not nearly enough especially when we have been in post season 2 out of the 4. Yes ... I know the 3rd year sucked, but we made drastic improvement last year ... and we look to be better this year.

My expectations are that over the next 3-10 years we become a team that goes to the NCAA 50% of the time and that we are in post season almost every year. I think Brad is the guy to get us there. I know you think he is probably not. Clearly though if you read your posts ... you are a pessimist. You usually look at the negatives, I look at the positives.

Brad has a list of both.

I just don't see where ... do this or else scenarios help. Just let him do his job ... if he can't get us where I think we should be in the next 2-3 years ... I'll be ready to make a change ... just let the year play out.

If you think 5 years ... especially when he started late in his initial year and lost all his recruits that year is enough time ... you will never get anywhere. Roy Williams ain't coming to SLU.

You're right our success has been very limited over the years, but is that a reason to continue to accept and show undying support for mediocrity? Especially when you see schools like X, SIU, dancing almost every year and landing decent players. You have to wonder why not us? Who else can you look to but the coach? I'm really not as down on UB as I let on here. Let's see what happens this fall and this season. My biggest concern though is unless the talent level rises appreciably, or there is a lot of player development over the next two years , KL's and TL's time here is going to be for naught. Hell, I hope UB's successful as all hell, and becomes a legendary coach at SLU for many years to come. We have to trust UB knows what he's doing and trying his hardest to get the best talent he can lay his hands on and coach it to the best of his ability. It's stupid to think he wouldn't be, his livelihood's on the line. Some of the posters here seem to think the guy's asleep at the switch, negligent, an idiot savant, or just doesn't get it. That's not the case. All that said, I do feel his launch time has got to come sooner than later. And next year the countdown should start.

>You're right our success has been very limited over the

>years, but is that a reason to continue to accept and show

>undying support for mediocrity? Especially when you see

>schools like X, SIU, dancing almost every year and landing

>decent players. You have to wonder why not us? Who else can

>you look to but the coach? I'm really not as down on UB as

>I let on here. Let's see what happens this fall and this

>season. My biggest concern though is unless the talent level

>rises appreciably, or there is a lot of player development

>over the next two years , KL's and TL's time here is going

>to be for naught. Hell, I hope UB's successful as all hell,

>and becomes a legendary coach at SLU for many years to come.

> We have to trust UB knows what he's doing and trying his

>hardest to get the best talent he can lay his hands on and

>coach it to the best of his ability. It's stupid to think he

>wouldn't be, his livelihood's on the line. Some of the

>posters here seem to think the guy's asleep at the switch,

>negligent, an idiot savant, or just doesn't get it. That's

>not the case. All that said, I do feel his launch time has

>got to come sooner than later. And next year the countdown

>should start.

I don't think anyone has said they are willing to accept medocrity. I think what I along with many others have said is that we think Brad has the program going in the right direction. Perfect ... NO. but in the right direction ... yes.

Why would you make it seem on here as if you are really more down on UB than you are? That doesn't make sense.

Lets look at our last 3 coaches.

Grawer ... I can't say alot about because I got here in 90. I do however know that many of the players that got us to the dance under Spoon were his recruits ... but overall ... Zero NCAA appearances.

Spoon ... went to the dance twice on mostly players recruited by Grawer and got the best player to come out of Stl in 40 years to carry us once ... if Spoon thought he was going to continue to take us dancing he would have stayed. We would not have become a consistent NCAA team under Spoon.

Romar ... went after Nat'l recruits but rarely got them. Had a good 4 game run and took us dancing once though I think most of us know if Kmart hadn't gotten injured we wouldn't have went ... It didn't though appear that Romar was going to keep us in the tourney ... but who knows maybe.

Now we have Brad. He took over a team that lost it's no 2? scorer and all incoming recruits. That hurts for more than just 1 year. With mostly Romar's players he took us to the NIT twice. We then lose our top 2 players for what is basically the year and have a really crappy year. ... He follows it with a decent year ... but missing the NIT. We have the 1st team all A10 center returning along with 2 of the best freshman in the conference. He had problems recruiting a 4 ... but now has 2 pretty well thought of freshman coming in this year. Will we dance this year ... I don't know, but I think we have a very good chance and if we don't I will be dissapointed. Will I think we should fire Brad ... NO. Will I think that Cheryl needs to put him on notice that we want bigger and better things at SLU. Yes.

But not this year ... IMO there shouldn't even be discusion of it. If we are going to have the discussion about if he doesn't ... then lets have the discussion what if he does also.

> that is silly ... if a kid tells you there is no way he is

>going there ... how would continuing to waste your time on

>the kid show you are a major player?

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman

How much time does it take to tender an offer?

>This is crazy. Like one month ago, this Brandenburg guy had

>been mentioned on this board 2-3 times. Then someobody comes

>on here and says we haven't offered Brandenburg, and Drew

>and crew fly off the deep end. Drew, how many times have you

>seen Brandenburg (i don't even know his first name) play?

>And in these multiple times of seeing Brandenburg play, how

>come you've never mentioned the need to recruit him prior to

>a week ago? Seems like several people on this thread are

>bashing Brad and co with absolutely NO information on a kid

>other than Vtime's posts and a Rivals snippet. I'd be

>willing to bet most of those people haven't even READ a full

>article on the guy because they don't have a Rivals or

>Hoopscoop account.

>

>Same thing happened with Stemler. Early winter...people

>could really care less about Stemler. Then, uh oh, Marquette

>gets involved, and Stemler is the most coveted recruit since

>Larry Hughes. We lost out on Stemler...it sucks. Maybe Brad

>doesn't want Brandenburg...maybe Brandenburg doesn't want

>SLU. Who the hell knows. Certainly not you.

Brandenburg was being mentioned this time last year after he went to the top 10 camp and put on a show. He isn't a new name by any stretch. His progress has been tracked on this board from his first varsity game, til his last when he faced his brother in state quarterfinals. I started a lot of those threads myself. We should've offered him over a year ago.

Just don't understand the argument over this. This guy is a high-major D-I talent from St. Louis, he HAS to get an offer. If he tells you he is setting his sights higher after you make your pitch, fine. Just tell him, you understand he has to explore all his options, but he will have a scholarship waiting for him whenever he wants it. Maybe you still keep yourself in the ring by going to a game here and there featuring another recruit you're interested in and have a conversation with him then (or if that's against the rules, then at least you're seen in the gym). That's absolutely no extra work for Brad after the intial recruitment that everyone agrees should happen, so why wouldn't you do it. A high-major talent from St. Louis (at this stage in our program at least) should ALWAYS have an offer from the Billikens. End of story.

You are right ... I don't understand the argument either. If the kid has an interest and Brad thinks he is good enough then we should offer. If Brad doesn't want him, then he shouldn't offer ... regardless of what all the expert basketball people on this board think. If he isn't interested in SLU ... we shouldn't offer. Here Joe ... we know you don't want to come ... but PPLEASE ... PRETTY PLEASE ... we will save you a spot ... WE WANT YOU, WE NEED YOU.

Get real if the kid doesn't want to come ... move on. To offer a kid who has no desire to come to your school and has expressed that to you is stupid. Hell if I was a kid and I told you I wasn't interested in coming to your school and you offered anyway, I'd think you were desperate and stupid ... I'd probably laugh at you to my friends. You would be the butt of our jokes.

"This guy is a high-major D-I talent from St. Louis, he HAS to get an offer."

This line of reasoning is what most likely lost us Matt Shaw. We waited and waited and waited on Kalen Grimes, "a high major D-1 talent from St. Louis" who has averaged 2 ppg in his two year college career. Brad chose to offer a lower profile 6'11 kid, Brett Thompson, who can score inside and out instead of a high profile 6'11 kid who averaged 4.7 rpg as a starter, shot 51% from the free throw line and has aspirations of playing in the ACC. It sounds like Brad is learning from his past recruiting mistakes by going after the guy who is perceived as second tier early when in fact he may be a better fit.

> You are right ... I don't understand the argument either.

>If the kid has an interest and Brad thinks he is good enough

>then we should offer. If Brad doesn't want him, then he

>shouldn't offer ... regardless of what all the expert

>basketball people on this board think. If he isn't

>interested in SLU ... we shouldn't offer. Here Joe ... we

>know you don't want to come ... but PPLEASE ... PRETTY

>PLEASE ... we will save you a spot ... WE WANT YOU, WE NEED

>YOU.

>

> Get real if the kid doesn't want to come ... move on. To

>offer a kid who has no desire to come to your school and has

>expressed that to you is stupid. Hell if I was a kid and I

>told you I wasn't interested in coming to your school and

>you offered anyway, I'd think you were desperate and stupid

>... I'd probably laugh at you to my friends. You would be

>the butt of our jokes.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman

I'm pretty sure Knollmeyer wasnt dreaming of heading to SLU either, especially after he committed to MU, but you keep the door open for the kid regardless. You can't run out of offers. You put the offer on the table and move on with your recruiting. Having the offer on the table can only help, not hurt. He's 16, he's not sold on where he wants to go. Kids will say anything. If doesn't continue to get better schools will drop off. Anything can happen. You give the kid the offer to say, we understand your position, but we still want you to come. Having indifference shows the kid you just dont care. People change their minds all the time, especially kids.