Any chance for 5 man recruiting class

VTIME

Out of curiosity, can any of the basketball aficionados (of which i am not) think of programs that have built a higher degree of success than what SLU now has in less than 20 years. Not the UNC's and Duke's of the world either.

I've got to think that many programs have ramped up programs in 4-5 years, which then gave a solid footing for the 4-5 years to follow.

I've heard broy throw out this "can't change every 4-5 years" statement and i wonder if there is evidence to the contrary.

Some that come to mind: Marquette was going nowhere fast until Crean showed up. Granted he had Wade, like we Hughes, but he followed up with his departure better than we followed up Hughes. Louisville ramped up pretty quick after Crum's so-so 3-4 seasons at the end. Ohio State recovered quickly from the O'Brien fiasco. Tennessee was picked to come in almost last in the SEC, Pearl, w/o the benefit of his own players, got them to a second seed. BC under Skinner's done very well w/o landing even top 150 talent....SIU consistent success under multiple coaches. Georgia Tech under Hewitt. Am sure there are many others. Look I'm not after UB's head and a lot of other negativity types on here aren't either...we're willing to give him time at SLU especially considering SLU's not of the Kansas State or Memphis type mentality, ie at any cost. I like the idea of having a coach who will be here for +10 years running a stable clean program, they do tend to succeed, but honestly after five years you should be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Agree w/Broy, next year could be good, it's the best potential team we've had in a while, but then what? We've still got a lot of ifs, if all those guys develop, if we land a decent fall class, I'd like to see us go into a season w/o all these nagging questions...but I guess we'll have to wait until 2009-09 to see that happen...if we land Suggs, Brandenburg, etc.

stlsfinest said,

"Reputation is a funny thing, no one cares how bad it is as long as you're winning."

i would take a lifetime of a 500 record rather than a final four cheating and scandal. in fact, i would turn in my billiken club membership in a second if were the black hat guys swirling around in smoke and murk.

Roy, distance is not the issue here - it is the way other schools recruit an area. Seattle is a very rich bb area for h.s. recruiting much more so than St. Louis. I know IL and MU have come in from time to time to cherry pick the top local player but they are not here every year was my point.

even the great pitino didnt do much better than last year's billikens his first year at louisville. pearl's success is not normal. and i truly believe he just walked in at the right time.

crean's marquette had two very average years before wade exploded the program. boston college had three years for skinner that would have had you impatient ones ready to kill. same with hewitt at georgia tech.

plus take into consideration you just named two acc teams, two big east teams, an sec team and a big ten team. i would think the recruiting path in the 4 best conferences in college basketball would be a little easier. do you think if we switch coaches we could get a coach the likes of pitino or even the rest? i am saying no way. you will get maybe if you are lucky one of the above's second assistant. you know another quin $nyder.

gonzaga has one player (errol knight) on their roster from seattle. in fact morrison is a hometown boy from spokane.

they have 3 players that are not american.

they have 4 oher players from out of the state of washington.

Thanks for the information. I'm not calling for UB's head either. However, i think that waiting 20 years is a bit ridiculous. Tulsa is another program that comes to mind that dealt with multiple coaching changes, but i suppose they were continually on an upswing so it probably looked to be a more attractive place (for coaches and players).

Interesting. Does UB have his D. Wade in TL? I'm not comparing the players, but the potential impact such players have/had on their respective programs.

First of all ... I'm shocked I haven't recieved more support in my bid to play for the Bills. I'm telling you, I can shoot and I have no conscience ... we worry about who will take the last shot ... give me the rock. Yes, I'm a little slow ... but when we need a hard foul, I'm your man, I don't care how big they are. Also I can't over emphasize the screens I can set, even Luke can get his shot off before an opponent runs around my wide load.

If UB goes ... I ain't playing. You guys will have to listen to Vtime talk about me along with the others that got away.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>stlsfinest said,

>

>"Reputation is a funny thing, no one cares how bad it is as

>long as you're winning."

>

>i would take a lifetime of a 500 record rather than a final

>four cheating and scandal. in fact, i would turn in my

>billiken club membership in a second if were the black hat

>guys swirling around in smoke and murk.

Who said anything about cheating and scandal?

i gave you the quote of stlsfinest who is not worried about reputation, just winning. what else does he mean with that?

"you forget i am one of the remaining 32%. so i dont see your point."

That's exactly my point. You still support the Bush administration (i assume that's what you meant by "one of the remaining 32%"), which has had some questionable, if not criminal, activity. Yet, if the Billikens were cheating or had a scandal, you "would turn in [your] billiken club membership in a second."

I think it is odd that you hold the Billikens to a higher standard than the Bush administration.