Billikens next Assistant Coach! Get Excited/Angry...

Of all the talk of the sky falling and how terrible Brad has been in recruiting, I'm surprised that a lot of people (VTIME!) are not talking about who is going to fill the open slot for assistant coach. This is a huge opportunity for UB to hire a coach that has an actual offensive philosophy, one that can be integrated into the program. The late season flameout against St.Joe's and some of the struggles to create opportunities in the offense had people clamoring that there needed to be changes in the offensive scheme. Now the problems can be addressed.

A coach has a limited amount of knowledge usually at his disposal. He has the systems he's learned from High School, college and then his work as an assistant. As a head coach he can bring in assistants that have other experiences that his own.

I haven't heard anyone talk about UB possibly missing the ball on this one. All I've heard is about some of his former player's coming back as an assistant. What do they bring to the table? Unless they are big time recruiters I don't see why UB isn't scouring DII tape to find a guy whose offense he would love to run. Personally, I would just like to see a pick and roll, a back pick and any type of motion every once in a while...basically no more St. Joe type games.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>I cannot imagine under any circumstances Floyd Irons

>accepting a job as an assistant coach!

I cannot imagine under any circumstances Floyd Irons being offered an assistant job by any respectable head coach.

>>I cannot imagine under any circumstances Floyd Irons

>>accepting a job as an assistant coach!

>

>

>I cannot imagine under any circumstances Floyd Irons being

>offered an assistant job by any respectable head coach.

explanation please!

I cannot believe that you are either so naive or have just dropped in from another planet to need an explanation on that one. V, where have you been? Are you just goading the poster into a debate over Coach Irons?

There is no way FI would accept being second fiddle to anyone on anything.

Not happening, no way.

Let's talk Billikens, please.

mhg

>I cannot believe that you are either so naive or have just

>dropped in from another planet to need an explanation on

>that one. V, where have you been? Are you just goading the

>poster into a debate over Coach Irons?

>

>There is no way FI would accept being second fiddle to

>anyone on anything.

>

>Not happening, no way.

>

>Let's talk Billikens, please.

>

>mhg

I understand that many think he wouldn't want to be second fiddle and that's fine, but why wouldn't any respectable head coach consider hiring him is my question. Why is he taking shots at him? His resume speaks for itself.

Mark Bersen is one of the finalists for the job, he resigned Monday from Moberly and I do not think he would have resigned if he didn t; have a job lined up. Either he is going to MICDS or the SLU job from what I hear and he was down at SLU at SLU two weeks ago and resigne from MACC Monday.

By the way FLoyd has no college coaching experience, he couldn't even coach an semi pro team, all did walk of the floor with his team and Brad isn't going to take a chance on hiring a high school coach, any of the guys you mentioned should have gooten into the college ranks a long time of go.

>Mark Bersen is one of the finalists for the job, he resigned

>Monday from Moberly and I do not think he would have

>resigned if he didn t; have a job lined up. Either he is

>going to MICDS or the SLU job from what I hear and he was

>down at SLU at SLU two weeks ago and resigne from MACC

>Monday.

>

>By the way FLoyd has no college coaching experience, he

>couldn't even coach an semi pro team, all did walk of the

>floor with his team and Brad isn't going to take a chance on

>hiring a high school coach, any of the guys you mentioned

>should have gooten into the college ranks a long time of go.

With all the grammatical errors in your post it's clear you have college student experience.

Excuse me, sorry I type so fast and didn't proofe read. I think my SLU education will take me a lot farther than your Harris stowe degree, I don't see you saying anything wrond with my post. Its not my fault Floyd is not good enough to coach at SLU, why would they want to hire a racist, and he gives me and my fellow african americans a bad rep.

>Excuse me, sorry I type so fast and didn't proofe read. I

>think my SLU education will take me a lot farther than your

>Harris stowe degree, I don't see you saying anything wrond

>with my post. Its not my fault Floyd is not good enough to

>coach at SLU, why would they want to hire a racist, and he

>gives me and my fellow african americans a bad rep.

It's not the degree its what you do with it. Also, I'm pretty sure my collegaite resume is better than yours. Scholar-Athlete, Class President. Member of the Student Advisory Council. Played on the 1st team to the play in the on-campus gym. Won first men's tennis match in school history and first match period in nearly 30 years. I could go on forever.

The problem kid, is that you are still in college and I am well off living in clayton and have a successfull career and all you do post here stating that SLU should do this and that while you are over the Stowe b/c you couldn't make it into SLU. YOu do not even play basketball over there, so stick to your tennis and class president duties b/c nobody cares about what you have done.

Who says I couldn't make it to SLU. I got into SLU. I went to Harris-Stowe, because scholarships allowed me to go for free and still pursue my athletic and social interest. I was also more comfortable with the environment, being around people who share similar backgrounds. I've made a ton of connections at Harris-Stowe with the alumni. Being a smaller school has allowed me to be a big fish in a small pond and I've met so many people who helped me along the way, most recently Julius Hunter, a Harris-Stowe alumnus. Both my parents also went to Harris-Stowe. My mom always wanted me to go there and when she passed a part of me wanted to do it for her. Although I am a Business Administration Major, I take pride in the fact that Harris-Stowe has produced more teachers than any college in Missouri and maybe the Midwest. Some people on this board probably have children who were taught by a Stowe alumnus or they may have been taught by one. I'm not at all ashamed of my institution and I take pride in getting a degree from this school. I've worked hard for everything I've gotten and nothing you say can take that away from me. Also in high school I was in FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) and won the St. Louis Mr. Future Business Leader Award at the annual conference presented at Florissant Valley CC and went on to state. I AM SOMEBODY.

which part of the resume do you think speaks for itself? the part where he billed nike and the school district enough money to outfit every basketball team in st louis or the part that he rarely has a player able to qualify academically? or maybe the fact he recruits kids to leave better academic situations to even come to vashon? which part would make us want him as an assistant coach at saint louis university?

How about the fact that when Romar left he said publically that he didn't know if Nick Kerns would keep his committment to SLU as they were both looking forward to Nick playing for a black coach.

I wonder what the backlash would have been had Chris Sloan's HS coach would have made that comment when Romar took over.

I can't stand Irons. Of course there is no way he would be made an Asst, but if he did ... these are some $$$'s SLU would lose. Probably forever. I agree with Orlando that Floyd IMO seems to be a racist.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Skip, that is what VTIME doesn't understand. Floyd plays the race card for everything and being a black man that has an education from SLU, why would I want a racist as an assistant coach, VTIME needs to look at facts and since he has been a class president he should know what FLOYD has said and did in the past to be called that.

I AM SOMEBODY TOO VTIME, and who cares what you have accompished in high school anyway

>which part of the resume do you think speaks for itself?

>the part where he billed nike and the school district enough

>money to outfit every basketball team in st louis or the

>part that he rarely has a player able to qualify

>academically? or maybe the fact he recruits kids to leave

>better academic situations to even come to vashon? which

>part would make us want him as an assistant coach at saint

>louis university?

if you think he's so good at recruiting, why wouldn't you want him to be a SLU assistant. Players qualifying would only make him look better and give him more notches on his belt. Why would he not want them to qualify? The environment on Cass isn't the safest and most productive environment, but he does the best he can. Since 2001 he's only had 4 division 1 caliber players not qualify, in Gordon, Kern, Muse, and J. Hill and of those 4 Gordon and Muse eventually got back to D1. The 9 division 1 guys that did qualify and went on to division 1 are Arnold Britt, Jimmy McKinney, Darren Boone, Antonio Scaife, Dwayne Polk, William Franklin, Bobby Hill, and James Washington. 9 out of 13 isn't bad. He gives the kids a golden opportunity to play for a team that is nationally recognized, and all they have to do is take advantage of the opportunity. You can't blame him if they dont.

the but is Floyd Irons has been passed over many times with regard to SLU

jobs; even when the program was down and he had good recruits to follow him. Vtime it is great to have your participation from near the SLU campus and to get the local feedback that you work at gathering; however, many of the St. Louis audience have been affected by recent (see the Demetrius Johnson and Floyd Irons) co hosted program that has been on local TV many times supporting Quin; yes, it is that old, and they still replay it. It is the same conversation where they question whether TL will stay at SLU and can accept Brad's coaching style; and it ends with Floyd Irons questioning

whether Brad can get along with black players. A lot of the program was

a retribution to Slaten and his interference with Irons coaching Slaten and Iron's son on an AAU team, I believe. I wouldn't listen to Slaten on radio for a minute; but to Seque (not sure of spelling) onto Brad after that conversation showed little interest in giving SLU or at least treating the balding coach as if he were a racist skin head because they are at least biased toward public schools for the money they represent. Harris Stowe has become a power in the public school system in St. Louis and it has always had a special place in St. Louis history. We hope you work as hard

at keeping their ambitions alive and that you benefit from staying in the city.

I have a couple of degrees from SLU and live in the city and grew up on the

Eside;but this is my adopted hometown, now. Vtime keep reporting, and leave the editorials to old folks too lazy to dig for the facts

i know you are just trying to make an example, however for the record, romar recruited sloan, not spoon.

i would rather vashon kids pass the act then be off to tourneys all over the country. he does the kids no favors not stressing that academics are THE MOST important thing.

I would like to see UB take an assistant that runs a unique or at least maximizing offense (i.e. maximize his player's offensive ability) such as how John Belien was a DII coach for a while. There might be a few guys out there who run an effective offensive system that could really help SLU basketball; a guy trying to move up to the DI coaching level.

As for Bonner, he's really a pipeline to Vashon? I haven't heard any evidence of his recruiting ability or if he has any connections in the coaching or high school level except at his old high school and his old college. What has he been up to?