AAU Update

skip, the four member SLU recruiting staff has a total 130 man-days to evaluate talent. If Brad, Beane, Thrope and Gronk each saw one different metro high school game on December 1, 2005.....that equates to using four of the 130 evaluation dates.

The current recruiting calendar runs from August 1, 2005 to July 31, 2006.

A staff must be darn carefully how it spends its 130 evaluation days.

Watching a nobody Parkway North play a nobody Parkway South on a given night counts one evaluation day. Watching an all-day AAU tournament, seeing maybe 20 AAU teams play (higher talent level)in a single long day also counts as one evaluation date.

Anyone who thinks a D1 coach can spend his winter nights "glad-handing" the area high school gyms that are void of mid-to-high D1 talent simply doesn't understand the D1 college recruiting process.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now how do you know? Really. How many AAU tournaments all over the midwest have YOU been to.

Outrageous comments like this need to be challenged.

I love your passion, V, but as a self-professed journalist, you need to watch the credibility of your factual statements, which are really your opinions.

mhg

v-time has a lot of passion in his post. But he is wrong and way off base at least 50 percent of the time. that's a conservative estimate. for example, slu should have offered arthur clair of normandy. huh? I agree on the harrellson kid from st. chuck. I've seen him a few times and he's a nice big man who can play. I like stockpiling big bodies who can play.

bad boyz for life

vtime, your post suggests that slu should step over the line. the billikens dont cheat.

> Brad hasn't been seen at many AAU tourneys this summer.

I beg to differ with that statement. Brad was in Chicago before the recruiting period began at an AAU tournamnet. He was at Boo Williams once again before the recruiting period began. He went to Arkansas, Houston, and Dallas. I have also seen Grunk at a couple of tournaments as well. So just because he doesn't go to second or third tier AAU tournaments doesn't mean he doesn't go to any of them. He would have gone to MN this weekend if it wasn't for an important family engagement and he might he will probably go to the KC Keys tournament in a couple of weeks. He will then probably end things at the Nike Memorial Day Classic which is one of the biggest Nike events of the Spring.

I have seen a lot of Brad and actually the fact that he has been to a lot of these tourneys has him in on the ground floor with players like Brett Thompson, Scott Suggs, John Brandenburg, Jesse Perry, Ron Waller, Jared Swopshire, Josh McCoy, and so on. He is really working it now. The only question is can he hold it together long enough to get some quality recruits on the team.

>Now how do you know? Really. How many AAU tournaments all

>over the midwest have YOU been to.

>

>Outrageous comments like this need to be challenged.

>

>I love your passion, V, but as a self-professed journalist,

>you need to watch the credibility of your factual

>statements, which are really your opinions.

>

>mhg

I have an inside man on the Eagles, Northside and Gameface. It wouldn't matter if he was at the tourneys though, because it takes him 8 looks at a guy to offer. His son is on the Eagles who have several sure division 1 players. How many has he offered?

>> Brad hasn't been seen at many AAU tourneys this summer.

>

>I beg to differ with that statement. Brad was in Chicago

>before the recruiting period began at an AAU tournamnet. He

>was at Boo Williams once again before the recruiting period

>began. He went to Arkansas, Houston, and Dallas. I have

>also seen Grunk at a couple of tournaments as well. So just

>because he doesn't go to second or third tier AAU

>tournaments doesn't mean he doesn't go to any of them. He

>would have gone to MN this weekend if it wasn't for an

>important family engagement and he might he will probably go

>to the KC Keys tournament in a couple of weeks. He will

>then probably end things at the Nike Memorial Day Classic

>which is one of the biggest Nike events of the Spring.

>

>I have seen a lot of Brad and actually the fact that he has

>been to a lot of these tourneys has him in on the ground

>floor with players like Brett Thompson, Scott Suggs, John

>Brandenburg, Jesse Perry, Ron Waller, Jared Swopshire, Josh

>McCoy, and so on. He is really working it now. The only

>question is can he hold it together long enough to get some

>quality recruits on the team.

How many of those guys has he offered? Probably only Suggs. I hear rumors of Brandenburg, but I dont know. You know eacj pf those guys is division 1 and you know he's gonna let them get to big before he offers them, if he offers them at all. He waits to long to offer guys and you know it OJ. You can't explain to me why Leon Powell's first offer was from Bradley. He waited for a better team to offer Powell. Not only that, he hasn't even tried to amends by immediately giving him an offer. He's just gonna let Bradley continue to court him and then let the Big 12 schools who are interested offer, and then the board will defend him as always. How long before someone big offers Harrellson. If Harrellson played on a real AAU team he'd have a couple offers by now too.

dear god...why didn't we offer to Suggs when he was 27 months old? Did you see the accuracy with which he threw his rattle back then? we would have been able to get him; instead, Brad ruined his chances by evaluating too well...damn it, I can't watch a program like this anymore?

come on, there has to be rhyme and reason for what the staff does, or they wouldn't be anywhere near D1 basketball...

He has offered Suggs of course, and after watching Brett play in Chicago he offered him.

You must remember I am not a fan of Powell's, and all of that aside I don't think he fits into SLU's system. Powell is a much better fit for Mizzou.

not even close to my point, but ok; look at his numbers previous to coming to SLU...if he was an StL high school player, would you have wanted him to offer before his SR year in HS?

I'm not arguing evaluation, as I have no doubts that some of these kids are stellar. Its the questioning of methods that confuses me some. No matter how early SLU offers to some of these kids, an offer from a place that hands out jerseys that say "DUKE" and "INDIANA" might just win once in a while.

now that you bring up newborne, remember newborne is an example of a "plan B" signee. and so many are furious that we didnt have a "plan B" for stemler.

as long as he doesnt watch a second more than kramer, i think you are right. but if he lingers around and watches any other action it would.

Whenever Kramer's games are over he has to walk outside of the gym. He can talk to people and player's associated with the game but that is about it. Those are what as referred to as free looks because they do not count againt the 130. Now if AT, Grunk, or Jamal were to go with him that would count against the number.

>now that you bring up newborne, remember newborne is an

>example of a "plan B" signee. and so many are furious that

>we didnt have a "plan B" for stemler.

Roy, just because VN was a bad "plan B" doesn't let Soderberg off the hook. Why not have better "Plan Bs" lined up? Since we had two scholarships available, why not go strong after an additional good player, rather than put all the eggs in the Stemler basket?

If you recall, Kenny Brown was also a "Plan B" after Romar didn't land Sampson. I think you were a pretty big fan of Kenny, so not all Plan B's have to be bad.

>>now that you bring up newborne, remember newborne is an

>>example of a "plan B" signee. and so many are furious that

>>we didnt have a "plan B" for stemler.

>

>Roy, just because VN was a bad "plan B" doesn't let

>Soderberg off the hook. Why not have better "Plan Bs" lined

>up? Since we had two scholarships available, why not go

>strong after an additional good player, rather than put all

>the eggs in the Stemler basket?

>

>If you recall, Kenny Brown was also a "Plan B" after Romar

>didn't land Sampson. I think you were a pretty big fan of

>Kenny, so not all Plan B's have to be bad.

Too many plan A guys in 2007 to give away plan B schollies. And he should go ahead and offer some of those 2007 guys. Lets not wait till AAU is over and they've blown up on the national scene.

>He has offered Suggs of course, and after watching Brett

>play in Chicago he offered him.

>

>You must remember I am not a fan of Powell's, and all of

>that aside I don't think he fits into SLU's system. Powell

>is a much better fit for Mizzou.

Oh, he did offer Brett. That was a good move. I see you guys practice at Harris-Stowe all the time, next time come up and speak. Oh yeah, Jesse is a steal in my opinion. He just needs to learn how to shoot and finish with contact.

it is my opinion that the plan b comment is not being translated correctly by billiken nation.

i believe that stemler was only recruited because he was a definite upgrade to drejaj because of his fantastic outside shooting. period. if not for his extraordinary shooting skills, stemler nor no one else would have been recruited for small forward.

if you remember, back in november coach soderberg stated he was only recruiting inside players the rest of the season. he had zero interest at the time in bringing in any guard/wings.

thus, when stemler decided to go elsewhere, he rightfully said, there is no plan b because plan b is not to waste a scholarship on a player that is less than meyer/polk/brown/maguire.

i.e no plan b. personally i am fine with it. as i dont want another newbornelike player taking up space for 2-4 years just because we happened to have an open scholarship.