Impact of M.A. hire at MU on Slu recruiting

bauman

Have heard a lot of talk on 590/1380 radio the past few days about how kids like the Anderson style of play with some comments about how he may control recruiting in our area due to his style vs. Brad's control game. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not so sure State U will pick off many of the players Brad will want or many of the "big time" recruits e.g. Tyler H.

The real big name recruits will not want to go to a system where you run up and down a court for 22 minutes a game proving only that you are in superior shape for that limited amount of time. I cannot believe that TH would have signed on for that style of play. Based on the ego of most high school stars, if they see a system that only gives players 18-24 minutes of playing time a game they may indeed look elsewhere. If you are a player that fits that system and that is the way you want to play the game you aren't coming to SLU anyway.

Looking at some recent names, I don't think TL, KL or Lance S. would be interested in 40 minutes of hell basketball. Same with what I know of Adam K. Maybe we would have lost DP and, after hearing FI on the radio yesterday, I'm inclined to think we will never land another Vashon player while State U has this coach, if Floyd has anything to say about it.

This will be interesting to watch play out over the next several years. Can chaos beat teams coached by Huggins, McDermott, Knight, Barnes, Self and Gillispie (sp?), many of which will have superior talent?

One positive, Brad and Mike A. know each other from their C-USA days and maybe we will see a MU/SLU series.

I would bet that within 2 years K State will be a major force in the Big 12, maybe next year. I have confidence that Brad can still recruit in the area. The Anderson style will not play well at all with some recruits. I hope he helps to rekindle the series between SLU and MU. Overall, I think he was the best choice for MU but he will not bring in the players like Huggins.

As far as immediate recruiting concerns, I would have been more worried if a Valley type guy had come in as they've been picking up quality players all over the state and especially in STL for a long time. Give them one more selling point like the power of the Big 12 and we'd have had problems.

The fact is SLU needs some big-time success next year on the court in order to get future big time recruiting classes. Unless Gardner comes back and MA finds a way to bring some if his UAB recruits to MU its hard to see them being all that good next year. We have a window of opportunity, hopefully we'll take it.

and msot good coaches figure out ways to get good players on the floor. I know style does count, but a 20-win season for SLU would sure go a long way.

I believe Anderson is a better coach than Snyder and would have had more success with that bunch this year, at least .500. Now is the time for SLU to establish itself as a successful team.

I agree with Shoe. Like I said in a earlier thread, Brad has a year or two window here to work with. SLU should be strong over the next couple of years and MU may struggle as they incorporate a new system. While they are rebuilding we must make some post-season noise, and make SLU a place that great players, especially the top local players, want to come play. If we struggle over the next couple years and Mizzou begins having success, we will be in a lot of trouble. Don't fool yourselves into thinking MA's style isn't FAR more appealing than Brad's to at leats 80% of the players out there. If both teams are on equal footing (ie both tournament teams, or both struggling) Anderson will out-recruit Brad. I hate to say it, but I firmly believe it.

I'm not sure that we have a couple of years. I think MA will do well recruiting right off the bat. I also think he will have them at least in the NIT next year.

I'm not sure he will neccessarily outrecruit Brad though. Ian, Kevin, Tommie, Luke ... and Dustin coming in would probably not be suited for MA's style of ball. We will be after the same guys some of the times ... but we may frequently be looking at guys he might not have an interest in

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I like SLU as much as the next guy. But to say that a player wouldn't want to play for Mike Anderson and his style of play is crazy. I know most of the top players in St. Louis and most of the ones I have talked to are excited to see what type of product Mizzou puts on the floor. I personally am very excited to see what Mizzou will look like too.

I don't see a large impact, as Snyder always rang up a top 20 recruiting class. Anderson has never come close to Snyder as far as ranked classes.

Where Anderson will differ from Snyder is the TYPE of player he recruits. He will be going after the mobile athletes that have speed to burn.

Both Anderson and Soderburg preach that offense is triggered by the defense. Both coaches routinely set their starting fives based on defensive effort. Anderson rarely chased players for Arkansas from the St. Louis area, and I expect a majority of his slots to be filled from programs that coach his style of play in the high school ranks.

Besides Vashon, I can't think of many Missouri teams that try to run an agressive baseline to baseline defense - and Vashon players struggle to do such against teams with a good point guard.

I don't think he's gonna pull in the big names Q got, but didn't do much with, because those guys want to play 30-35mpg. So that leaves him recruiting on a mostly regional basis. The lure of the BIG STATE school could hurt us unless UB quickly gets us established as the Gonzaga of the Midwest. I gathered from the above our old friend Floyd has already turned on his spigot for MA. So, would anyone be surprised to see Powell end up at Mizzery, and this is a guy we were going after hard, correct? What also is the state of the current Mizzery roster? They were all talking transfer two weeks ago unless Melvin Watkins was treated well. Do they now look forward to playing for Mike Anderson. Grimes for one wouldn't seem to fit the mold.

Mike Anderson has the 25th ranked class comming to UAB - that sound like a pretty good recruiter.

Mike Anderson was lead recruiter when Arkansas went to final fours and won the NC. They landed plenty of big time players.

Brad better make the Tourney next year or his time looks limited. It will be interesting to see how SLU plays when the pressure is on for an entire season. If he can't get there this year it won't get any easier once Ian is gone. Many more 30 or 40 pnt games won't help his cause either.

Also contrary to billiken.com perception that - You can't get "a lot" of minutes in this system. Why would future NBA prospects come to Mizzou if the are not going to play more than 28 minutes a game?

That's simply not true. UAB had 3 guys average over 28 minutes per game. Mizzou had 3 guys average over 28 minutes per game. Memphis had zero. Florida had two.

Therefore, if you are in great shape and a great player -- you will get just about the same amount of minutes you'd get in another system. Certainly not 38-39 minutes --- but over 30 is possible

Vanilla ... nice to see a well thought out post from you. Welcome to the board.

I agree with you about MA ... but I disagree with you about SLU. Of course there will be times when they are recruiting the same player, but there are plenty of players to go around. MA has connections down south and will get players from there and I think he will do a good job in the St. Louis area. I just don't think if he does well it means SLU's time is up. I think Mizzou will get back to being a very good team and I think SLU will get established as a perrenial top 50 team getting into the dance most years and will make some splashes into the top 25.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

In a recent article in the Columbia Tribune, Kalen Grimes was one of the most vocal supporters of the Anderson hire. He said he was real excited about playing a fast tempo and that his goal was to lose 20 pounds to maximize his effectiveness in the system.

Not all traditional big men are going to be automatically turned off by this style of play, especially when viewed next to SLU's style.

i disagree on lisch. anderson's 40 minutes of hell is exactly the style of basketball that kevin lisch would thrive in. high pressure defense is his game and the running to the other end goes with it.

You guys are acting like if MA goes to Mizzou and has a great few years, we're screwed. Like all the good prospects in the state will go to Mizzou and SLU will fade into obscurity. There are plenty of states that have more than one successful program. Washington/Gonzaga, Tennessee/Vanderbilt, UNC/Duke/Wake/NC State, Kentucky/Louisville, Cincy/Xavier...to name a few.

We like to talk like we're a big time program. Then State U hires a decent coach, and we're all afraid of what's gonna happen. If the most die hard of fans don't have confidence in the program, then what would a potential player think? Most of us believe it's not just a coincidence that our topics usually make it on local radio shows and articles. This just adds fuel to that fire.

Let's act like we belong and not Mizzou's *****.

What's the most players he can recruit in a year...5? Agreed, Nashville. If the area, W. and Central Ill, Mo, W.Ark only produce 5 D1 players I'd be amazed. Also, wasn't joining the A-10 supposed to increase our exposure to East Coast kids? SLU may never compete nationally with the likes of UNC, Duke, etc. but we ought to be able to bring in a kid or two every year from outside the "area". Let's not forget Europe and the rest of the world too.