Anderson may force Soderberg's hand

SLUDrew

Coach has always said if he had things his way the Billikens would be a run-and-gun team. Well, now a proven run and gun Coach is about 90 minutes away at Mizzou. He doesn't have to prove to anyone that he will run and push tempo because he has been doing it for years.

Granted, Coach Anderson's style isn't for everyone. A player like Tyler Hansbrough would be better served in our system. When it comes to big men, the Anderson hiring may actually help SLU.

However, I believe players in general would MUCH rather play in Anderson's system. This is especially true of those players who are the long, athletic types that we have had trouble getting for years.

Of course, if Coach can win with his style, and by winning I mean a couple tourney games, while Anderson is still building at MU, Coach may be able to steal some nice recruits.

I think the next few seasons are critical for our long term success as a program. If Anderson starts having success with his fan-friendly, player-friendly system, while we are still clawing just to get an NIT bid in a conference that no one besides SLU fans really cares about, we may stay a step behind MU for a long time to come. The only reason I use MU as a measuring stick is that if we want to be a consistent winner we need to start with local talent. That is pretty difficult to do when all the best local players want to travel down I-70 and play for MIzzou.

I don't know if I completely agree that players want to play the 40 minutes of hell style. Often it's a system where you play 10+ guys, they're in and out quickly, etc. It's a team concept and players can't always "showcase" their talents to scouts. Yeah, you want a coach who'll let you run, but Anderson's style goes beyond that and is essentially aiming to create havoc on the basketball court with guys who are just quick as hell. So I'm not sure that style is all that attractive to a wide range of high-school recruits.

I guess it'a a mute point since MU said they didn't want him, but I still stick my theory that I would have liked to see MU hire Huggins over a guy like this. I think Anderson is a quality guy who will beat us out on many recruits that enjoy his style of play. He has a clean record and has proven he can Coach. Huggy would have gone after National recruits we would have never landed or gone after guys we wouldn't consider for many reasons.

MU hiring Anderson to me just made Brad's recruiting job a lot harder at a time where many are critical of his recruiting anyway. It should be interesting.

I was going to start a new thread on this, but I'll just add it here.

I've been thinking about what local players fit into what it appears Mike Anderson will want to run at Missouri, and the only logical name to me is Leon Powell from Vashon.

I think Powell is perfect for a run-and-gun, pressure defense system. He's undersized (6-5, 6-6, 6-7?) with long arms who is a good defender and probably scores best when filling lanes on offense. He can run and jump, but he needs to get stronger to play inside at a school like St. Louis U.

There aren't many high school teams in St. Louis that play a similar style to what Anderson had going at UAB. Vashon is the most comparable, and I would expect Vashon players to get a lot of looks from Anderson at Mizzou. But right now I'm curious to see what kind of players Anderson will go after from this area, and how that will help or hurt SLU.

Just a thought.

- Nate

I definately see Anderson and Floyd forming a relationship and Anderson getting a lot of Vashon players. As I already argued, it's all about playing in a system with the 40 minutes of hell and I think that goes the same for Vashon's style. We've all discussed how well Vashon players perform in college and I think in regards to their high school success versus college success, part of that is due to Floyd's system. As a whole, they're great together. Seperate, maybe not so much. Like Floyd, Anderson's success is attributed to the system and not necessarily the individual players.

Ulimately, Brad needs to get the Bills to the NCAA on a regular basis starting next year and prove he can win HIS way. There are enough local recruits to go around and if SLU is winning, Brad should be find plenty of local talent that want to play for him. I tend to agree with Tonka however that Anderson will be tougher to recruit against than Huggins would have.

>While Coach Anderson will no doubt have players on his

>roster from the state of Missouri....do you know if Anderson

>signed any Missouri high school players in his 19 years

>under Nolan Richardson at Tusla and Arkansas, or his your

>years at UAB?

I have no idea.

As far as I know, Mike Anderson has no recruiting ties to the area. That's why it will be interesting to see how he goes after local recruits from the start. I'm curious to see which kids he goes after, and which kids he does not.

- Nate

at UAB you don't need McD AA's to have good sessons. Now at UAB, like SLU, making the dance and getting to the sweet 16 is a very successful season. The powers that be at MU won't be happy with that year after year...they think they are KU material, so he may be forced to recruit on a more national basis. Does anyone know if Arkansas pulled in a lot of McD type players? Or if they were just SWestern kids?

All new coaches say they want to dominate the state recruiting scene - that is like people running for office saying they are for low taxes and more services. He has to say that but he will also have to go after kids anywhere. He might make some inroads in St. Louis but Brad can minimize that if he really wants to. All Brad has to do is work his tail off on the local kids and he will be fine but if he dilly dallies around then he will loose his edge here.

Gardner comes back to school (50/50 I guess) they won't be popping up on the selection show next year. He is a good coach but has been left with little (again assuming Gardner is gone). The appropriate question then is will we be on the selection show next year?

Corliss Williamson '92

Darnell Robinson '93

Kareem Reid '94

Derek Hood '95

I didn't look after 2000.

03-04 Arkansas won the national championship with Williamson, Robinson, Scotty Thurman and a bunch of juco's (really good ones). Back then, almost all non qualifters went the juco route instead of 5th year prep schools. Getting a top juco back then meant a lot more than it does today.

I'm lukewarm on Anderson. I see the good things he has done, yet after reviewing the UAB schedule and results from the last 5 years, I see a lot of home losses to weaker teams. Protecting the home court is a must and he hasn't done it so far.

His record against the top C-USA teams wasn't stellar (below .500), that does depend up who is chosen to be the top C-USA team in the last 4 years.

His NCAA record of 3-3 at UAB, his uptempo style, his tough guy talk seem to have sold most. I see way too many losses to weak teams to sell me.

While so many people point to the Sweet 16 run (it was a very good accomplishment), closely looking at their record reveals a number of bad home losses to weaker teams, heck in conference Anderson and UAB were 3-4 versus Tulane. Now I think most SLU fans would consider Tulane to be one of the weaker team in CUSA the past 4 years.

There are home losses to Western Kentucky, East Carolina, Western Michigan, and Marshall. Road losses this year to DePaul, Minnesota and UTEP and last year to Richmond, Southern Cal and Texas Christian.

He didn't fare very well against Louisville (0-4), Memphis (2-5) or CIncy (1-2). Those are probably the teams most considered to be the powers in the old CUSA. Heck he was 3-4 versus Tulane.

His nonconference strength of schedule in the last for years was:

150, 115, 7 and 233. Not very strong. His overall SOS was:

115, 92, 35 and 103. So, in retrospect, he only played a strong schedule one year.

So, I think the 89-41 is skewed significantly.

If he recruits like he and his boss Nolan Richardson did, by getting a McDonalds All-American every year and adding top 5th year prep players along with a smattering of local kids, he'll probably have very good success. If not, I don't see him doing anything special (special meaning reaching the final four and maybe more than once during a long career).