What does Chris Sloan do and could his salary go toward

Everytime I watch the Bills, I notice that Sloan stands up and yells whenever Grunk does or yells at an official whenever Soderberg does. What other "Director of Basketball Operations (cough)" sits on the sidelines for a D-1 team??? Bradley's DBO sits next to the SID; Illinois DBO sits next to Bill Murray (kidding), he sits next to recruit families two rows above the Flyin' Illini bench. The question is: Do we need Sloan around? We don't need him; his salary could go for at least a couple of tanks of gas to get Beane or Grunk or someone down to Poplar Bluffs to get a recruit (oh, too late) or to maybe come up to Springfield or Peoria to watch the IHSA state tournament in a few weeks. Well, supposedly he gets travel itineraries set for the team; isn't that supposed to be the secretaries job??? He "breaks down" game footage and does "tape trades" with other coaches. It looks like these "other coaches" are giving him game tape of the Washington Generals game against the Harlem Globetrotters from 1989, the year the Generals went on a team-high 3 game winning streak.

Sloan was a great basketball player at SLU and I know he wants to follow in the footsteps of his siamese twin brother Drew Diener on the coaching ranks, but SLU has enough budget problems at West Pine to make Halliburton blush. This is rediculous. Does our coaching staff make recruiting trips at all? Does Brad waste his time making stupid commercials that air during Knight Rider reruns at 4:30 a.m.???

I'd like to see somebody from SLU in Peoria watching the IHSA State Championships in 2 weeks. Great basketball talent will be in abundance. No great athlete is just going to show up on SLU's doorstep. There's gotta be some work done. Right now, I don't see it. GET TO WORK.

I am not sure that Sloan even gets paid. He maybe a graduate assistant. Even if he does that is not why SLU couldn't win a road game against one of the top 4 teams in the A10.

I completely disagree with you. If Soderberg didn't need him, he wouldn't have him...case in point: Coach said on his radio show the other week that in terms of recruiting his son, if he wasn't up to D-1 and his personal standards, he would not recruit him. You can't say that he would say something like that about his own son, then be too polite to tell Sloan he doesn't need him.

The Athletic Department pays him and they're stingy enough with their money. If they thought he was disposible, don't you think they would have done something about that already?

>I completely disagree with you. If Soderberg didn't need

>him, he wouldn't have him...case in point: Coach said on his

>radio show the other week that in terms of recruiting his

>son, if he wasn't up to D-1 and his personal standards, he

>would not recruit him. You can't say that he would say

>something like that about his own son, then be too polite to

> tell Sloan he doesn't need him.

>

>The Athletic Department pays him and they're stingy enough

>with their money. If they thought he was disposible, don't

>you think they would have done something about that already?

His son is good, but at 5'10 who's gonna take a chance on him besides his dad, or some mid-major a la Alex Moosman.

after the disaster of Romar and Spoonhauer not working or knowing the midwest I figured Brad was hired to fill the void. We

know Beanes success with barely division one Semo; who is our stud recruiter? Grawer had Winfield with is NBA background.

If Beane leaves what are the other's credentials? Spoon seem to have "friends" at different Jucos; although I would agree Brad is less stuck on recruiting all pitbull guard defenders and shooting

guards so I think there is hoope for a normal team of guards, forwards and centers in our future. I wish we could afford a better

recruting assistant with SLU connecions-SLoan seems like he is beibg groomed for an AD position down the roadl he seems like a quality young man but mt opinion of great basketball pkayer at the college level is at a standard we did not get with good players like Justin Love or Reggie Bryant-I'd like to see a future NBA player recruited each year; When I was at SLU we had Eugene Moore, Rich Nieman graduating together as a 4 and

5 and Harry Rogers went to the NBA the next year: Joe Wiley was a fun player to watch like Clagget but the guys we have now maybe Ian has a chance; Liddel needs a jump shot.

I'm just as disappointed in the last two games as anyone, but man, you need to stop talking out of your ass. Oh no, we lost to a good team in their house with a dominant big man who we had no answer for. Oh no, we couldn't get Hansborough to come here instead of UNC. I don't see how anyone can be upset with the season on the whole and with the direction the program is going. We aren't going to be like Duke or UNC or Kansas or UConn overnight.

Well, VTIME, people need a place to vent sometimes. I can't make it out to the bars to drown my sorrows after this dismal performance by the Bills. If I had to drink a beer for everytime I cursed in disgust watching the LaSalle game, I'd wrap my car around a telephone pole. The thread actually has some merit if you talk to a few sources within the basketball office that tell me that Sloan dresses like it's casual Friday from Monday to Thursday. Maybe he fits the bill of prodigal son?? Who knows.

Director of Basketball Operations is an entry level position for graduated players who want to get into coaching, to learn. These positions, same position Drew Diener started with at DePaul before heading to UVA....are widely held all over the country. And gasp they run camps, help with recruiting, and practice often with the team. It is a very minimally paid position, and a position people do not have for more than a couple of years before they move on to another school...usually a lesser hoops program to move up the ladder more quickly to be a higher level assistant working toward a number 2 ast, and number one asst...etc...It is a training ground to get experience. Sort of like the old restricted earnings coach who made $13k a year and free apt. Those types of gigs.

Sloan is an idiot.....he walks around all day doing jack. He junps up and down all anrgry but I don't think he does any work. The secretary does most of the work probably and I think sloan is nothing but a glorifed secretary. We don't need a DBO. Before dumbass sloan, we had that Ranall (sp) guy who wasn't even a DBO. Did things improve or go down hill since Sloan took over? Sloan is an idiot. He played for SLU, good let it Fing go. He's an idiot and the billiken ledgend night showed that he is dumb. Get a real person or someone who actually went to college to take his place. 2 years ago he could hit a jump shot, that shouldn't equal a job now.

The thread actually

>has some merit if you talk to a few sources within the

>basketball office that tell me that Sloan dresses like it's

>casual Friday from Monday to Thursday.

Wow did you really just pull that one out? Of course he dresses like its casual Friday everyday...so does Soderberg, Beane, Thorpe, and Grunk! If dress was your sole requirement for working in the basketball office, you would have to fire EVERYONE! It's a BASKETBALL office! That was a dumb "slam" on his credibility.

There's a lot more going on in that office than many of you know, so until you really know what's going on internally, you can't make asinine comments about anyone in it. I know everyone is mad about us losing yesterday and wants to point fingers at anyone and everyone, but don't point fingers at people that you don't really know.

Great post Bluecrew,

Metz needs a girlfriend or something, because when your at home on a Sat. night slaming Sloan for a position Metz has no idea about, is unreal. What's the old saying these days, Dont Hate the Player, Hate the Game. If Metz thinks it's so easy maybe he should try to get the job. I DON'T THINK SO!!!! Metz should stick to staying home, drinking his beer and stay away from the computer. The posts from last night prove he is one of the worst posters on this site. He gets way to much slack from his dad BROY and other old timers.

metzy, you are wrong on your view of chris sloan and his position at slu. it is chris' job to do a lot of the day to day stuff for the program which frees up valuable time for the assistants and the head coach to work with the players and recruit. if you take chris sloan and that position away it will only bog down the other coaches and put the program at a huge disadvantage to other programs. just about every top program uses a director of basketball operations. at memphis the position is held by milt wagner. and he sits on the bench with the team every game as well.

in the summer, the director of basketball operations is instrumental in setting up the summer camps. summer is the time that the rest of the coaches need to be using every available moment to recruit. if not for the billikens using that position, again, the other assistants would have to do that job instead of hitting the recruiting trail.

the job is a wonderful training ground for young coaches to be. i would guess that chris sloan is in line to soon be a college assistant.

Enough about Metz. I think that he is funny and brings a lot to the board. I bet Metz gets many ladies with his humor. Now back to the topic, Sloan is not a grad assistant making 16,000 a year. Sloan ahs a full time well paying job. We use to have a grad assistant but then Brad had a DBO position added when he got a new contract I think. Sloan is making around 40,000 a year. All that money for a dumbass.