"atmosphere" and SLU attendance

Some of the comments about the "atmosphere" against Dayton are way, way off. it was about the best of the year except maybe Gonzaga. At the end it was pretty loud and a very exciting finish, despite the loss. The final 6-7 minutes of the first half were breathtaking.

Also, some comments on the board and by local media about how bad it supposedly is at SLU, and at Savvis, obviously are completely misinformed if not ignorant. To say it is the worst Dvision I atmosphere is ludicrous. Obviously that person did not see the broadcast from Duquesne, where it looked like 17 people showed up. I understand the use of exaggeration but give me a break.

Does anyone have access, for example, to attendance figures for other A10 teams in recent years? I imagine this year that SLU is at least in the top 2 or 3 in A10 attendance but do not have figures to back it up. In fact, my guess is we do pretty well attendance wise against many of the so-called "top" programs. 10K per game is pretty good for college basketball.

Get real. Blame some of that lack of "atmosphere" on Savvis, but it could be way, way worse.

As far as the old guys who won't stand at the games complaing goes - without those old guys the program would have folded years ago. You can not have both ways - we need their money so we just have to put up with their non standing. By the way, I noticed during the Dayton game that somebody - old guy with lots of money - gave his seats across from the benches at the tables away to Dayton fans. They had on Dayton Flyers shirts. Now I can accept that guy not standing but to give his tickets away in that location to the enemy - well that is all I cans stands and I cannot stands no more!

there were a small group of dayton fans right behind me as well. i was going to ask where they got the seats but never had the opportunity.

>Doc, why do you often post the same post twice: once in the

>relevant thread and once on it's own.

Rich; its in that sentence is a possessive pronoun and does not need an apostrophe.

sorry big guy; just giving you grief, I suppose. go ahead and hammer me for "often" begining sentences without capital letters. just trying to get some response. I have done it a few times (does that count as "often" ??)--and I do it because good info or queries often gets buried in long posts that nobody reads.

for the record:

9 teams in the A10 average under 5000 per game, and 4 of them under 4000 per game. Only 2 teams (hint-both in Ohio) in the A10 average more than we do.

My grammer isn't perfect, I'll admit. Were this a doctoral dissertation instead of an internet message board my conscience might be bothering me. This isn't really about me or my grammer though.

Most of us are content with just posting our thoughts once, knowing that some people may miss out on our wisdom. It would be a real shame if anyone missed out on your often bombastic, often shrill, drivel. I'd suggest maybe posting everything three times.......

BILLY chill out big guy. you are a pretty funny guy and sometimes I laugh at what you say, but in this case (like several others you have sent my way) it is possible that you are just trying to make me sound like an arrogant fool.

while opinions do in fact vary about that assertion (i.e. that I am a fool), is there any chance we can all just make peace and have a big group hug? maybe I need to buy you a glass of your favorite cold beverage at an upcoming broadcast at the Sportszone or something. No need to be so hard on old DoctorB, just trying to get some conversation going.

ps-- was there actually anything in my post--which I think is basically true--that is "drivel"??

Except for needing to include the word ignorant. I agree with your post. I said before I thought the crowd was very good. About as good as you are going to get in a 1/2 full arena, and I am usually one of the ones complaining about the old guys not standing and cheering. Props to the old guys for the Dayton game.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

The atmosphere at SLU games is not that bad. It certainly is not the worst in D-1, not even near that. Whichever talking head said that ought to see a real bad atmosphere. Actually, I think the atmosphere at SLU games can be pretty good.

I was able to see the Chicago State and Iowa games in person. I certainly relish the few chances I get to see the Billikens in person.

And please, the SLU Band is second to none in my humble opinion. Out here, Cal has a good band, "The Straw Hat Band" at basketball games, but it does play many of the traditional Cal songs at the games, and Cal has a lot of them. Stanford has the "organized confusion" anti-band. I've seen them run out on the field in helter skelter manner at football games. But since I've never been to a basketball game at Stanford, I really cannot comment, other than to say they sound loud on tv and radio.

This year, the 3 Bay Area WCC teams made some efforts to have "bands" at some games. But please, they literally pale in comparison to the Billiken Band. At the Gonzaga game, I could only really hear the USF drums. At the Loyola-Marymount game, I saw a tuba player and a couple of drums. USF needs some trumpets. St. Mary's sometimes pipes in a recording of its fight song. But at least the WCC teams tried to do something with bands this year.

One of the funniest confrontations this year was the one-sided battle of mascots, in which the USF Don completely outshined the Santa Clara Bronco at SCU. The Don went around the court acting like he was riding a horse. At one point, the Bronco fell down. It was really pretty funny. USF's Los Locos student cheering section chanted, "Dons ride horses!"

Frenchy,

First of all, I've been calling you Frenchy for a week. Ever since you wussed out so quickly in your match up with TigerDevilFan. And I was being serious. I mean usually you're a prick but you outdid yourself with your treatment of Doctor B. I was just wondering if everything is okay. Did your best customer call Geicko? Do you want to talk about it? Can I help any?

While it's true that nobody will ever confuse the Savvis with Cameron indoor when it comes to atmosphere, let's not forget what we are working with here. We have a team one year removed from a 9 win season and no NCAA berths in 6 years. We have a poor student attendance (no offense to the Blue Crew who are awesome) and a pregame program about as exciting as an episode of "what not to wear" on TLC. Combine those factors with a building that is half full and you have a recipie for a stale atmosphere. I have been at almost every game this year and I agree that while the attendance was typical for the Dayton game, the crowd was louder, stood more often, and had a little more passion than most any other game this year. I probably attribute that to the big win at Charlotte, the recent win streak and the fact that it was the last game. What I am interested to see is what happens if over the next two years the season ticket demand ends up exceeding what the on-campus arena can accomidate. Will SLU turn down dollars or will they allow the season tickets to be sold at Savvis for one year but not at the new arena?

kappy said,

"What I am interested to see is what happens if over the next two years the season ticket demand ends up exceeding what the on-campus arena can accomidate. Will SLU turn down dollars or will they allow the season tickets to be sold at Savvis for one year but not at the new arena?"

i.e. season tix sales to exceed the 10k capacity at the new arena - projected students seats and a handful of single game seats.

good question. it is my guess that they will, however it would only be right they tell new season tix holders that it will be first come first served for the new arena and the line to pick and buy will be prioritized by billiken club points. in fact, buying season tix this next year means nothing compared to joining and contributing to the billiken club. a billiken club newby will be in line before the longest season tix holder that doesnt belong to the billiken club.

personally i think it is the fairest way to prioritize the line. what it effectively does is give the big bucks guys a way to get in line and it somewhat protects the longtime small timer that has been religiously giving each year.

I'm not sure. JoAnn P from the athletic department told the lady, whose seats that I confiscated, that he was in the house Wednesday, that she had gotten tickets for him.

I got to talk to her this weekend about the trip to Cincy next weekend and I'll try to find out.

Trust me. Tom still remembers you. More than once you made him crack a smile on the bench in his 2 years here.