Regarding Stemler

davidnark

I have never seen Lance play. Roy has suggested that he can't defend, rebound, or post up on offense. From what I have read, however, he sounds like a much more complete player.

He is the leading scorer and rebounder for the number 8 ranked juco in the nation. Also noteworthy is the fact that he isn't just producing against average competition--he averaged over 24 ppg in 10 games played against top 20 juco programs. The head coach of 3 Rivers Juco described him as a "complete player" and a "great prospect." His own coach stated that he isn't just an outside shooter and doesn't mind "getting dirty."

Where is the disconnect? Roy are you judging him from what he did 3 years and 35 pounds ago or have you seem he play this season?

I am assuming that Brad is going to continue to use the 4-out, 1-in offense next season. It would work perfectly for Meyer to slide down to the 3 and Stemler to step into the 4. I would love for teams to double-down on Ian with Stemler, Meyer, Lisch, and Liddell spread outside.

Let's not start the ....ehwn I saw him play one time back in...surely a player is judged by his entire resume and current ability.

In regards to jucos....a lot of kids have great success in jucos and it doesn't always translate into great success when the move to D-I.

.....not saying anything in regards to Stemler.

AGB91, since you asked.....

I have seen Lance Stemler play 11 games this season.

Lance is between 6-6 and 6-7. The 6-8 talk is pure b.s. He has added some nice strength since high school. Body is similar to former Bills' Chris Sloan or Larry Simmons. With the proper weight training he could easily add another 10-20 pounds over a two year period.

Not a quick jumper, but jumps okay. He is not a "banger", he doesn't go over other players back to get a rebound.....but, he gets those rebounds in front of him. Runs okay to good. Lance will easily dive on the floor or into the bleachers for loose balls.

Lance is a scorer. Given a split second to get his feet set, he shoots a good 3-ball, good form - good rotation on the ball. Most of Lance point's (re SWIC's offense) come from shots in the paint area, mostly between the two low-blocks. Uses both hands in close, likes a little jump hook. A capable passer....the SWIC team is a very unselfish bunch!

imo, Lance has demonstrated sub-par defensive play. Fortunately, Lance has the physical tools to be an average to good defender ..... but his urgency to play tough defense at the juco level has been missing. At SWIC, Lance defends in the paint. In 11 games, I have never seen him have to defend on the wing. He got beat several times guarding his man at the top of the post and on the baseline. Again, imo, Lance has the tools to defend....he just hasn't done so on a regular basis.

Lance had a broken wrist before his first juco season and redshirted that year. Signed with Bradley late the following summer. Early on at Bradley, he suffered a serious grion injury and never really got into their flow after that. Transferred back to SWIC for this season and had done very well. Wears a light knee wrap and some tape here and there.

Word this weekend was that Lance won't make any decisions, any visits until after his juco season. SEMO is hot for Lance, as is Kent State and Northern Illinois and SLU. SMS likes Stemler, but they are out of scholarships. SIU and many others have watched him play.

I think he would be a nice fit in a four-out one-in offensive scheme.

Not a program maker, but a nice piece to a winning puzzle. The question is .... what role does he want to play and will he play defense?

I understand he is interested in an accounting degree. Has a local girl friend and his parents live in the metro area.

Just my nickel....

which basically sums up what i have been saying. he will be a role player at best. anyone expecting him to be our pf problem solver will be disappointed. i have no problem with him coming in, but i am not looking at him as the top priority. i want a real power forward. not another wing that they will fill the slot with.