what does our RPI do

I'm afraid we take an RPI hit, perhaps even a big one, even if we win.

This is why Gonzaga Coach Mark Few questioned why his Zags had to play a first round WCC Tournament game against then very lowly Portland several years ago, therby messing up the Zags' RPI at a time before the Zags were a shoo-in for the NCAA irrespective of the WCC Tournament result. The WCC ultimately changed its rules to give the top 4 teams first round byes, the top 2 teams byes all the way to the semi-finals, and to make the bottom 4 teams win 4 games to win the WCC Tournament and get the automatic bid.

In recent years, some A-10 supporters have called for the expulsion of Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, and Fordham, although Fordham has had a decent season this year.

but any realistic chance for our RPI to matter this season for NCAA purposes was destroyed when we lost to Dayton, Richmond, St. Joes etc.

At this point if we finish the season 4-2 that would put us at 10-6 in conference and 16-12 overall and prety much assure us of an NIT bid. Even 3-3 with a loss in the 1st round of the A-10 tourney and we are probably in since the NIT basically takes anybody in the top 113 (65+48) with a winning record.

The only way an at large bid is possible now is to run the table in the regular season and to make it to the A-10 championship. I'm not even sure that would do it.

Actually, because of all the automatic NCAA bids that go to the lesser one bid conferences, many of whose champions have RPI's well into the 100's, the NIT usually cuts off in the 90's, with exceptions for certain East Coast schools and others that might draw a crowd.

I certainly hope SLU at least makes the NIT. That's why I am still following that RPI.

If we win 2 more games I say we are in the NIT. They don't worry as much about RPIs as the NCAA tourney people do. The most important thing a .500+ team can do to be picked for the NIT is be able to draw a decent crowd. We are one of the best non-powerhouse schools with regard to attendance, and should be a lock with a .500+ final record.

only 5 teams with RPIs less than 120 made the NCAA tourney so that isn't a huge concern. That is offset with teams that have RPI's in the top 115 but have losing records (not NIT eligible). If we are in th top 110 of the RPIs we have nothing to worry about as far as the NIT goes.

The official NCAA RPI site had SLU's RPI at 94 through games of Monday.

Going into the Duquesne game, kenpom.com had SLU's RPI at 97. This morning kenpom.com still has SLU's RPI at 97, and that was after Wednesday night's games.

So I am pleased to say that what I had expected to happen from just playing Duquesne, namely an RPI hit, apparently did not happen.

Per a pure following of the RPI, with an RPI of 97, SLU would have the 40th of the 40 NIT bids. So the Billikens still have some work to do. With this exciting, up and coming young team and players who are getting some national notoriety, one would think that the NIT would take SLU.

And SLU has proven that it can play with the teams in the A-10. Win the A-10 Tournament, and the Billikens go to the Big Dance!