Here's a center we are chasing

Sheltiedave

St. Joes has a kid, not sure of his name, who sounds like similar. The kid was a pg until he had a growth spurt of about 10". He's a guard in a Center's body. 205 lbs? Course you can't teach 7' and there's always the gym to add bulk. Sounds like we have little chance. The kid bleeds orange and blue.

I know we have to walk before we can run but long term, we have to be thinking about more than just winning in the A10. That is the Norm Steward goal - win your conferece and beat Kansas and that is all that really matters. I do agree that if we can become a consistent winner of the A10 it will help us recruit for the bigger event - although it did not work for Stewart.

Tisdale, Illinois mutually interested

by Lindsey Willhite

Daily Herald Sports Writer

CHAMPAIGN - Illinois didn't offer a scholarship to 7-foot Riverton junior Mike Tisdale on Sunday.

But don't be surprised if the 16-year-old prodigy gets and accepts an offer before the calendar clicks over to 2006.

Wearing a gray Illinois sweatshirt, Tisdale attended the Illini's 61-42 victory over Coppin State.

Tisdale admitted he didn't yet have a scholarship offer from Illinois coach Bruce Weber, but he knows what he'd say if and when it comes.

"Yes," Tisdale said.

At present, the 205-pound Tisdale has offers from Southern Illinois and Purdue, plus interest from Michigan, Saint Louis and others.

But Tisdale, who has retained a guard's skills while growing 8 inches in the past two years and doesn't turn 17 until September, has "always" been an Illinois fan.

He lives just east of Springfield, approximately 75 miles west of Champaign, and he racked up 33 points and 14 rebounds when Weber watched him play Dec. 6.

If he accepts a scholarship, Tisdale would join Indianapolis guard E.J. Gordon and Peoria forward Bill Cole as juniors who've committed to the Illini since Thanksgiving.

That would leave Illinois with just one open scholarship for current high school seniors and juniors.

Joe, right you are! We are chasing after Mike Tisdale(#5,) Lucas O'Rear(#7,) and Jeremy Felton(#16) amongst juniors on the Illinois side.

Recruiting is not nearly the walk in the park VTime perceives it to be. Besides grades, mutual interest, available playing time and team needs, projected player development, and how the coaching staff likes the various kids they are recruiting, there are many other issues that may never come to light.

Based on VTime's player assessments, it should be no problem for Harris Stowe and Forest Park to pick up all the outstanding academic nonqualifiers every year and DOMINATE JUCO and Dwhatever land, respectively.

>>We just need to lockup Brandenburg<<

Would love to see us land the Spartan (hope there is no ill will between Brad and Steiner over the whole Blake Ahearn deal). But Brandenburg is a soph so I think we should get another center in an earlier class to slot behind Ian/Bryce. BTW, Ahearn is averaging 20 PPG and shooting 45% from 3 this year. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15571

Recruiting is not nearly the walk in the park VTime

>perceives it to be. Besides grades, mutual interest,

>available playing time and team needs, projected player

>development, and how the coaching staff likes the various

>kids they are recruiting, there are many other issues that

>may never come to light.

I have been saying this over and over. thanks for reminding us all.

it seems like a curious waste of time to speculate about whther SLU is chasing some defect from a dirty program.

Again, as a teacher at SLU, I can assure you that we are quite deliberate about the kinds of students who will succeed here. I have said before that personality and character, besides grades, are important factors. These are the realities of recruitment at SLU and comparable schools. anyway, there are limited resources for pursuing, and winning, top athletes, even besides those special considerations at a private Jesuit school.

>Recruiting is not nearly the walk in the park VTime

>>perceives it to be. Besides grades, mutual interest,

>>available playing time and team needs, projected player

>>development, and how the coaching staff likes the various

>>kids they are recruiting, there are many other issues that

>>may never come to light.

>

>I have been saying this over and over. thanks for reminding

>us all.

>

>it seems like a curious waste of time to speculate about

>whther SLU is chasing some defect from a dirty program.

>

>Again, as a teacher at SLU, I can assure you that we are

>quite deliberate about the kinds of students who will

>succeed here. I have said before that personality and

>character, besides grades, are important factors. These are

>the realities of recruitment at SLU and comparable schools.

>anyway, there are limited resources for pursuing, and

>winning, top athletes, even besides those special

>considerations at a private Jesuit school.

Way to show your ignorance. Secondly, Harris-Stowe has the same academic standards as most Division schools and a non qualifier for SLU would not be eligilble at Harris-Stowe either.

>Way to show your ignorance.

Since I assume that is directed at me, it might be helpful if you were to tutor all of us lowly readers on whatever it is you consider to be my ignorance.

Or was that self-directed?? Who knows.

To tell the truth: I doubt if I could have stated much more obvious and sober realities about recruitment than what I did say, but perhaps you just know a lot more about higher education than I do. I honestly have no idea why anyone might disagree, but then again some people believe in aliens.

Anyway, thanks for your kind, attentive, and edifying observations during this holiday season.

i think chasing jeremy felton is a waste of time. this kid has had nothing but academic problems since he got to high school. he has yet to play an entire season in high school because of periodic suspensions of academic problems. this year he has only played in just a couple of games for belleville east due to academic suspensions and is currently not playing.

the kid has a boat load of athletic talent. he jumps as well as anyone i have seen in a long time. but i think he will be at a juco in two years. not at a 4 year school.

"it seems like a curious waste of time to speculate about

whther SLU is chasing some defect from a dirty program."

Doc, you seem to enjoy flinging out a statement like that from time to time. Blunt, to the point, and as you say, speculation. You know the kid is a "defect"? Who's doing the speculation here?

a 200 lb 7 footer is a reach. i dont care how good his ball skills are. that is skinny!!! but his suitor list is pretty good. i would bet most everyone would want to redshirt him and then feed him for a year.

Roy,

if you grew 10 inches in a year starting tomorrow, you would be back at skinny a year from now! His body has had no chance whatsoever to keep up with his growth spurt, hence the 200 lbs. He will end up being in the 240- 250 lb range by his junior year, when it actually matters.

He may be available, as Illinois has some maor players declaring their interest/committment to attend. Their junior early commit class is smoking, and he is right behind Cole in most rankings. The state actually has a high level of competition, so the downstate rankings are pretty accurate. The kid does have talent offensively. If he is "good enough" for Illinois, he would be smoking for us.

sheltie, i didnt mean to infer i didnt want him to be a billiken. my only point was to advise that he is likely the candidate that coach soderberg referenced that would be a "project" that would be redshirted. a player that wont immediately come in and be the answer to all questions.

I agree, he is a reach. Evidenly Weber really likes his abilities, assuming this story is correct. He will redshirt if he goes to Illinois, no doubt. We'll have plenty of centers with 6'9' Shaun Pruitt a senior, 6'11" top 40 recruit Brian Carlwell a sophomore, 6'8" redshirt sophomore PF/C Charles Jackson, 6'9" sophomore PF Richard Semrau and 6'8" senior PF Brian Randle ahead of him. He'll have time to add weight and work on his game.

Who knows, maybe Weber will talk him into going the 5th year prep route? From all indications, the kid bleeds O & B, so him might do that too, if a scholarship is promised.