Kennesaw Game Analysis

SLU_Nick

Well, after the 1st half I started thinking "man, JJ should have started." Going small with them surely wasnt working. Kennesaw really had some sharp shooters on their team. KL completely shut down his man as he was on him like glue everywhere.

Most of their points came from the 25+ that ADs man had. AD would try to double down and his man would just keep hitting threes in his face. And AD was yelling to the refs, yelling at LM, he really was out of control on both ends. His points all came on outstanding passes from IV/TL and he really didnt bring much at all to the effort tonight.

TL and KL played very well I thought because they are in control. KL had a couple turnovers trying to make the low post entry pass but overall was in control and clearly showed why Roy, me and others think he is the best shooter on the team. TL made some great finishes in the second half and I think thats what everyone said he would bring to the table. He was brought here to finish plays and right now, he is living up to the hype.

LM and DB dont seem to bring too much to the table. Everytime they come in for TL/KL/DP the overall play of the billikens goes down. If LM and DB just get a little stronger with the ball they give some good minutes off the bench. And the Blue Crew doesnt seem to think much of old Luke. I dont know if u guys notice the sarcastic cheering for him.

IV was getting fronted in the first half and simply wasnt getting the touches. The 2nd half was much better because Kennesaw brought the press and it opened the floor up for several lay ups and dunks.

a Win is a Win, but unless a vastly different team shows up against Gonzaga we will be dominated. Thats all for Now.

Nick

i think the press is a bad idea against us. Polk handles the press very well (in fact I'd say that's his best attribute). and we have enough quickness amongst our guards to be able to get to the basket and make teams pay for pressing us. I think our offensive troubles come from when we're slowed down and teams pack it in on us offering the 3-pointer.

First off, we obviously can't have a five minute stretch like we played offensively in the first half or a defensive stretch like we had in the second half. The three pointers raining in on us has to stop.

I'm curious what others thought of the pressing. It wasn't going to produce many TOs but did seem to hurt the rhythm of Kennesaw today, particularly in the first half. Do you start KL against the 'Zags and try to do that to them also or do you not think it will work on a better team? It seems to me that slowing their movement up the court and making it harder for them to get into their offense would be a big help. We can use every advantage we can get.

I observed the same thing in the first half. If we can't get Ian going or Tommie slashing to the hoop, our offense stagnates. Their press offered us some chances to get into the paint early on in the second half by breaking it quickly and KL hitting some three's finally opened things up. I'd pack it in on us and make us prove we can score from the outside before honoring those shots.

if you do that you're probably playing a 4-guard and I don't think we could defend the Zags without a little more size. I'm more worried about Batista than Morrison at this point. Morrison is going to get his, but Batista is a real beast on the post and we're gonna have some serious issues with him, especially if we're using a guard to defend him.

Today was a continuation of the growth and development of this young team. Kevin played absolutely fantastic on defense and their three point shooting star could do nothing against him. When Kevin went out he proved he could hit from long range. Kevin's offensive game was excellent in the second half, a true indication of his potential long term.

Tommie is a terrific team player who makes everyone around him better. His wonderful plays in the second half prove that he is the real deal. I think that he and Kevin played extremely well together for about 10 minutes in that half-- a wonderful preview of things to come over the next four years!

One thing that everyone should notice is something you did not mention, that is the coaching. Our second half adjustments created a lot of opportunities for Ian that then opened up the outside shots. I give real credit to Brad for his continued willingness to let Kevin shoot at will from outside even though he was cold as ice in the first half. Even in the warmups for the second half he could hardly hit the rim on his 3 point shots but he really came up big with those 3 three point shots in a row.

It really steams me to read your comments about Luke Meyer. In fact, he helped us in the first half when our offense was a ridiculous mess. He did make some mistakes but he also did some nice things. He is agressive and assertive and he hustles. I hope that you are dead wrong about the Blue Crew because I have been a huge fan of their efforts and enthusiasm. If they are making fun of one of our own players then they need to rethink their own situations in life. I would love to hear from a Blue crew member on this issue because my guess is that this poster just is just adding his own personal comments to the almost always negative and often uninformed diatribes that he posts.

There is no way to defend Batista with a guard and I doubt it will ever happen. I would think that Ian will have him unless he is in foul trouble. Mallon is big but not the offensive threat in the low box that Batista is and Mallon seems to like to play outside a lot while batista never levers the low post. He is an incredible offensive player and we will have trouble holding him off and away from the basket.

Morrison is like the energerizer bunny. He is constant motion and he is now a much better 3 point shooter. He can drive and pull up as good as any player of his size I have ever seen in college. I have no idea who we have to guard him. He will eat alive our two four men and he will jump over our guards. If Ravaio is playing it will make things ever more difficult because I assume we will need to put Kevin on Ravaio and he cannot help or we will get bombed from outside. This team does not match up well with Gonzaga so we will have to play hard and tough and hope we have a great shooting night--like they did last year against us-- and they will have to miss some shots they would normally make. My guess is that our kids will not be intimidated--they clearly did not look intimidated or out of place at North Carolina.

I agree - it is amazing how things can change when you hit a couple of threes - we just had nobody hitting anything to speak of in the first half. Once KL hit a couple of those threes then everything started looseningu up - same thing happened at UNC when AD was shooting lights out that night. Somehow someway, we have to start the game hitting a few shots or IV will spend the year with 3 guys hanging all over him - he is good but not that good - he has to begin a little breathing room.

I do not post untruths on this website at all. I have been posting for 3 years and the reason that I only have 147 posts is that I don't post trash. Dont try to undermine my comments and lump me in with some of the new posters here who try to stir up arguments just for the fun of it and to hear themselves talk.

I dont condone luke bashing, but im not gonna lie about it. It's not the majority by the way, I was just wondering if anyone at the game picked up on it

Nick

Kennesaw played us about as well as their personnel allowed. They played us in the same way we have played against physically superior teams - slow the game down, shoot at the last second of the shot clock, collapsing pack-in defense. We looked frustrated in the first half. The second half showed how great a difference it makes when we can make 3-pointers.

Billikens 2nd half defense was not to good. In the 2nd half Kennesaw shot 64% from field and 50% behind the arch, the same as we did. Yes we scored 55 pts but we gave up 44 points in the 2nd half also. Ian, Kevin and Tommy played a great 2nd half. Bills 2nd half freethrow shooting was right on time as we sinked 14 of 15 from the line to their 5-7 (that and Lisch getting hot was the difference).

Personally, I believe that player-bashing in your home arena is totally uncalled for. I have monitored this board for several years and MOST of the "player bashing" here on this board is really just personal opinion that gets blown completely out of porportion by others. I am not indicting blue crew or anybody else, because personally I can never hear much at games sitting where I sit, and in fact I thought the "scarcastic" response to LM was genuine in the context that many of us were happy to have him on the court, but perhaps that is just me being the niave fan that I am.

Bfinance - I think the point is that how can the Blue Crew be announced or heralded as the 6th man when they are making negative comments/actions about one of the team's players. I understand your point about the board comments but there is a big difference - 1. the board is not on public display in front of thousands of people and being televised on TV. I know that anybody can get on the internet and read what is on the board but that still is not the same as a public display by a group. 2. You can not expect the AD dept to provide transportation, PR, and credibility to you when you are biting the hand that feeds you - in other words, the AD dept. accepted your group as a support not a hinderance and just as any of the members of the AD dept would not be expected to conduct themselves in a negative manner towards the team so you should not also given your special status. Now as an individual, you can say and do what you want but as a Blue Crew member you have a different standard. This is no different in the work world when as a member of a company or organization, you are expected to support the agenda and if you can not do so you are expected to move on or they will move you on. Now I am not suggesting that your members leave the group just that you should not be sarcastic about a player during the game - if you don't like the player then simply do nothing when they come into the game.

In response to a number of comments about "Blue Crew taunting": As President, we all know how much I personally support this team (*ahem* Billiken Madness *cough*), and if I hear someone saying something negative about my boys, I will not stand for it. Now, I know exactly who you are refering to for taunting Luke, and it was the kid (a senior who doesn't come to games very often) who was sitting next to me. I'm sure someone is going to yell at me saying that I'm president and I shouldn't be talking about my members, but I find this just as problematic as you do. There were 2 things that the kid said that were loud enough for Luke could hear, and the second that they were said, I had a few choice words with the boy (as did a few people around me) and I along with about 5-6 other members cheered extra for Luke; we made sure we were loud enough to trump the boys comments...at least to Luke's ears. I also talked to the boy after the game as well.

Believe me: I do not take our "6th man" title lightly. That type of sportsmanship is uncalled for and has no place in my organization. There are a number of organizations that would love to get our recognition (and they should...case in point: the band, who should be getting top billing, but that's a completely different post), and I do not take that title for granted. On one side, 1 person made a comment, but please keep in mind that there was a group of Crewers around him that called him out on it and gave extra love to Luke. He had a great game and deserved it.

And in response to an earlier post about who I would have as my starting line-up for Gonzaga:

IV,AD,KL,TL,DP with JJ first off the bench.

It's a very tough call and I wish coach the best of luck...I know I couldn't make that decision. I can't decide between DP and JJ.