UWM Message Board.

STLfan

There fans don't seem to think much of our coach or know alot about our team.

http://uwmfreak.proboards5.com/index.cgi?board=Games

"Soderberg is a tool who couldnt coach himself out of a paper bag.....uwm wins if they can speed it up a bit....but that is tough against the no talent basketball slu plays..... "

Anyone else hope they try to speed it up?

This one is also nice.....

Comment #1

"St Louis doesn't have the best talent around, but they have one of the best coaches in college buckets.

They will give the Panthers all they can handle. "

Comment #2 in response to #1

You really think this? I may wrong (I often am), but I don't think Soderberg is all that respected or feared in the coaching circles.

I played golf with some WI dudes in FLA last winter.

The one guy hated UB as they went to rival high schools.

The other guy was glad UB did not get the full time job at Wisc as he did not like the style UB wanted to play - I think our style last year.

We'll see if UB keeps up the tempo.

Now if we want to get into things we don't agree with in regards UB coaching....

It is funny how hard it is to shake a repuation in the college basketball world. I wouldn't be surprised if UWM doesn't have a single player on their roster as talented as Liddell, Polk, Lisch, Ian, and maybe Brown.

It only works to our advantage if our opponent's assume that we have little talent and are forced to play grinding basketball.

You guys both beat me to Tucker...not knowing that or witnessing last year's NCAA's...is as bad as the UWM board. UWM is still a commuter school...a D-1 version of UMSL...so I wouldn't expect much from their board...though their past coach Bruce Pearl went WAY out of his way to single handedly create fan support and atmosphere at games. Can their new coach sustain and increase it?...well...we'll see in a couple of years. I am curious to see how Rob Jeter does, which I think will be solid considering his background. I will also be interested to follow how Pearl does in a few years at Tennessee. UWM does return some talent.

As recently as this summer, Soderberg told me he was still not over what happened at UW. Instead of animosity, he seeemed like a guy who would still want that job, though happy to be at SLU. He is what he is...refreshing from the standpoint that he is low maintenance on facilities, perks etc..but imo you have to get out and sell and up and coming program or recently struggling program perhaps even more than he does. He flat out told me all he wants to do is coach, and doesn't get involved in the other stuff. Refreshing, but perhaps a little close-minded too.

Of course Soderberg will be known in WI and UWM...etc...but does anybody know who he is outside of those two states...probably not...and who cares...as long as he recruits and wins. He very much needs to follow up this class with 1-2 more back to back classes to build something. People will overlook the low scoring games only if you win a lot. He is a nice guy, and I am rooting for him to see if he can get it done. But the bottom line is building a consistent winner. He is fine as long as SLU doesn't slip next year or year after. He has the pass of a recruitng class this year...if SLU is .500 next year, he should be scrutinized highly.

courtside said, "He flat out told me all he wants to do is coach, and doesn't get involved in the other stuff."

and it shows. a couple of times in those coming off the court interviews, he really comes off as irritated that he is having to talk. just chomping to get in the lockerroom. he doesnt play any "grapevine" games like most other top coaches. in many ways, imo, not wanting to get involved "in the other stuff" is a true weakness of coach soderberg. not many top echelon coaches arent viewed as a salesman and diplomat for their school in this day and age. it is a shame the game has gotten to that, but still it seems to be a fact.

what is really ironic about the above, it seems to me that when coach soderberg truly puts on his sales hat, he is pretty darn good at it.

Court, imo you are absolutely correct about it being more than necessary for UB to follow up on this recruiting class.

Hopefully, Maguire (sp?) is step 1, but some bigs that can play better follow or it comes back to not being able to build the program or stock the roster on a consistent basis.

I am hopeful UB and staff can get 'er done.

I have a little diffirent view of Brad. He is a hard nosed competitor--an old fashioned warrior type who believes that hard work and preparation are what makes a good coach and ultimately a good team.

Yet when I have met with him, either one on one or in a group setting, he has been nothing but cordial and friendly. He is not like Charlie, who I liked but who really hated having to deal with the "public" and hated to recruit spoiled kids. Brad has gone out of his way to say that he will meet with anyone, anytime, that I think would be a good source of support for the Bills. He has proven time and again that he will go to meetings, lunches, breakfasts and other events to talk up Billiken basketball. Yet he, like all of us, can get better at the marketing aspect of his job.

I do think that Brad will grow in the job. As he has some success--and so he is not under fire so much, including from many on this board, he will lighten up and be more outgoing. He will never be like Calapari but many would think that is a good thing in terms of ethics, etc.

I didn't get this comment from Roy - "a couple of times in those coming off the court interviews, he really comes off as irritated that he is having to talk." My feeling this year is that Brad has sounded quite positive in his postgame interviews with Rammer...even remembering to say congrats to some other SLU program as a PR gesture.

He certainly is no P.T. Barnum-type, like a Valvano or maybe even a Pearl would be. Why he is good at "selling" when he does it as that he is as genuine as they come. He is also willing to work as hard as anybody, whether it be at coaching, recruiting or promoting the program. Brad may not be flamboyant, and like 95% of coaches out there who got into the business to coach, he'd rather not have to do the PR (and recruiting for that matter). So he may not run out looking for opportunities to do it. Is that bad for the program? Maybe, but it is what it is. The program will grab civic attention if the team wins. The positive spin from Bernie this morning is proof enough of that.

bradfan, i am referring to the coming off the court interviews at halftime. i taped the game last nite on charter and while i think he honestly answered the questions, and i bet he didnt even realize he was coming off that way, that is what i felt.

I agree - when I met him I found him to be remarkably charismatic, friendly and sincere. His enthusiasm is contagious; if I were a high school kid and he was recruiting me, it would be hard to turn him down. I think the longer he's around as head coach, the more he'll improve at the "marketing" aspects of the job, but then again, he should be getting help with that from the administration.

I stand corrected on your reference...but if your team just blew a 13-point lead in the last half hour, you might have been a little preoccupied too. Didn't see it, so am not qualified to comment directly on Brad's demeanor. Will be interesting to follow this aspect of Brad going forward, particularly if the team improves along the lines we're hoping for.

if he couldnt put on the halftime happy face, he should have just went to the lockerroom.

look, i love brad. and like i said, typically he can play that part with no problem. but on espn each nite we see the likes of williams and pitino, and calipari etc use that halftime 30 seconds like a super bowl commercial to come to their program more or less. sure they might say something negative about their team, but it just doesnt come off the same way.

hey it was one game where brad's team blew a big lead. i am sure he had a "here we go again" flashback so you are probably right and i need to get off it.