Monmouth!

Taj79

Say it like Iverson did when he was talking about "practice" a few years back.

Our Saluki rivals to the south lose by 12 to the Monmouth Whatevers (even I don't know what they are) in the great white north? Monmouth? Had tohave been a little overconfidence there, eh? I'll wait for our Saluki board members to call in those details. At least I know Monmouth is in New Jersey so their plane ride was longer. Can't call cramps or jet lag for this one.

I found this writeup on the SIU website and found this part of interest:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska may have been in the middle of the biggest snow storm that the state has seen in five years outside, but Monmouth (N.J.) (1-1) was on fire inside Sullivan Arena, putting all four starting guards in double-figure scoring. The Hawks shot 75 percent from the field the second half of play, missing just four shots to hand SIU (1-1) its first loss of the young season.

Note the 4 starting guards. Of course the Bills problem is the 75% from the field.

we now have to win the carbondale game. of course they will come in a little po'd due to the worst 2 game stretch in a long time for the saluki's.

the loss today will be huge for siu if they claw their way back to the bubble.

David - which is the point I have made several times over this past year. The upperclass ladden team that was left for last two coaches has run out. Now I am not saying they are a bad team but not the team they were the past 2-3 years. While they got a couple of good recruits the first year that Weber left - a residual of the Weber/Painter duo - their recruiting classes have not been up to replacing what has graduated. This is enevitable for a mid-major when they have to deal with the coaching merry go round syndrome.

... other than making "Monmouth" sound like Iverson's "practice" remark a few years back, no. I harbor no ill will towards the Saluki's .... but cheese makes an interesting note below about the residuals versus the replacements. Heck, I don't even know who they have ... Brooks, Stetson, whomever.

I don't like Duke, Notre Dame, Memphis (nice coaching by Cal on that final possession at the NIT last night), and maybe some others. I recall having a very hard time with UC and Xavier in past leagues. I get riled about Dayton but that's a personal matter between the Doc and I. I don't care for Georgetown. But SIU doesn't get me ... heck, I root for most of the mid-majors more time than not.

I am still awaiting Whatsasaluki and some others to come on and explain things .... I don't know, you can't beat Monmouth and Alaska-Anchorage I might have to re-evaluate my pick for the SLU/SIU game. Out of the box, I didn't think we'd win that one. Now I don't know; I'd say its leaning our way and SIU might come out of Alaska zip up and three down.

Hello sports fans. Re- Monmouth, you will be interested to know that they were up by as many as 14 points against South Carolina yesterday, ended up losing by 5, I believe. As far as Alaska Anchorage, they lost today, by one point to USC, as in the Trojans from the Pac-10, which I believe is considered to be a high major conference. (since we seem to like to debate as to who is a "high major") Matt Shaw was injured in the Monmouth game, had limited minutes. One of our starting guards, Tony Young, broke his foot this summer, still is not 100%. SIU has no seniors (scholarship), only two juniors. You will also be interested to know that Jamaal Tatum scored 37 points for SIU today, and Bryan Mullins, in his first college start had 12 pts., 4 assists, and two steals, in defeating Eastern Washington in Alaska.

With all of the new players, and roles, SIU is still "finding itself" this year, had a very good opening game, beating Louisana-Lafayette by 18. Young teams can look great one night, awful the next. Will have played 5 straight away games before they return to C'dale.

Do not bet the ranch on SLU.