List Please?

Taj79

Can anyone tell me where to get a listing of the past recipients of the St. Louis High School Male Basketball Player of the Year? I owuld like the list to at least start with Hughes (who I am assuming won the award in ... what? .... 1996?) but wouldn't mind going back to even the early 90's where Claggs and Hmark were at least considered, if not the actual winners.

Is Lisch the 2005 winner? Was Polk the 2004 winner? Wasn't McKinney a past winner? I seem to recall Joel Shelton as well. Who can help out here?

I'm not sure what school he went to, but he was a real small very quick guard from Cardinal Ritter I believe. He along with Terry Evans formed that very good backcourt that won them the state championship didn't it? Also weren't they undefeated that year or am I completely wrong on this? I don't quite remember for sure.

Ken Burke was a 5'9 guard who led Cardinal Ritter to an undefeated State Championship in 2003. Burke went on to play for Moberly CC, transferred to Mineral Area and was all-conference and is now at Southeastern Oklahoma State, but has decided to take a year off from basketball. The starting backcourt was Burke and Antione Vinson who went on to play Div 2 at Henderson State. The starting small forward was 6'5 Terry Evans. He got injured during that season, but made it back for state and performed well in Columbia. While he was out Bryan Baldwin took his starting spot and he now plays football for Kansas State. Also filling for Evans for a few starts was Alex Barnett, a sophomore at the time that now plays D1 for Dartmouth. Evans plays D1 for Wisconsin-Green Bay. The starting power forward was Dewon Byrd who went on to play college ball at North Park in Illinois. The starting center spot was shared by Jamel Lacy and Raymond Brown. Lacy plays college basketball for Mount Marty's in South Dakota, while Brown plays football for Kansas. Alvin Davie, a reserve forward on that team now plays Div 1 football at Tennessee Tech. Barnett was the only sophomore and there were 3 freshman, Marquis Jones, Kenslow Scales, and Jonathan Mosley. Scales died the summer after the championship game in a car accident. Mosley and Jones are starting guards currently for Ritter in their senior years. Both were all-conference picks last year.

I'm interested to see how Terry Evans fares at UWGB. Hope things work out well for him after his high school injury.

One guy I remember winning the POY award back in the 90's was Jon Harris from Edwardsville, who went on to play at Marquette where I believe he was more of a role player.

Vtime has given me 00 through 05 (when I add McKinney's name next to Lee's for that one year - mucho thanks V). Can you add to that from 00 back to Hughes with Harris or even backwards to 1990? Is thee a spot in the P-D that has this listing?

... is there a site to go to that not only lists the POY but maybe the all-metro team as well? I think there is a thread above or below that kind of goes where I was heading with this ... the list of the D1 players currently out of the St. Louis metro area. I think if you look at that list and compare it to the last four or five all metro teams for cross referencing, you might get a good view or grade as to the quality of college ballplayers coming out of the St. Louis area.

Of the last five or so listed by Vee, Lee and Miles would be the ones later listed as continuing that success. Both are in the pros. Same goes for Hughes. But the others? McKinney hasn't done squat in my book. The jury is way out on Polk. Burke's a zero and is now taking a year off after an odius JUCO journey and Shipley's talent got him to Austin Peay. He's only a freshman but Go Peay?!?! That's the best a metro POY can do???? I guess there are those that would say the same about SLU and Polk. Jon Harris did nada while at Marquette and Shelton was a bust at SEMO as I recall.

Any wonder why the metor St. Louis area isn't top 20 material. Even if you do get the "best" player in the area, that alone doesn't guarantee much. Now I'm not saying I don't want him but I am saying that getting him may not matter as much as some of us think.

Had to dig deep on our site. This ran as a table, so you may have to work at it to figure out who's in what year. LOTS of cool memories, though.

40 YEARS OF ALL-METRO BASKETBALL1964 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassJo Jo White, McKinley 6-3 Sr.Rodger Bohnenstiehl, Collinsville 6-5 Sr.Rich Niemann, DuBourg 6-10 Sr.Tim Marting, Ritenour 6-3 Sr.Del Germann, Belleville 6-1 Sr.1965 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBill DeHeer, Maplewood 6-7 Sr.Dennis Pace, Collinsville 6-3 Sr.Danny Suess, Edwardsville 6-0 Sr.Cal Edinger, Southwest 6-5 Sr.Gary Odom, Ritenour 6-8 Sr.1966 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassJoe Wiley, Belleville 6-3 Sr.Art Welhoelter, Webster 6-5 Sr.George Faerber, Lindbergh 6-4 Jr.Ed Tabash, Augustinian 6-0 Sr.Dale Turner, Madison 6-0 Sr.1967 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassJim Irving, Beaumont 6-0 Sr.George Faerber, Lindbergh 6-4 Sr.Jim Bryan, McCluer 6-7 Sr.Rich Essington, Venice 5-11 Sr.Tom Parker, Collinsville 6-5 Jr.1968 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassTom Parker, Collinsville 6-6 Sr.Tom Dezort, Edwardsville 6-5 Sr.Bill Daake, Priory 6-8 Jr.Cornelius Lott, Soldan 6-6 Sr.Joe Sills, Vashon 6-1 Jr.1969 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBill Daake, Priory 6-8 Sr.Bill Foster, Webster Groves 6-8 Sr.Mike Jeffries, Alton 6-3 Sr.Harry Rogers, Sumner 6-7 Sr.Gary Simpson, Granite City 6-1 Sr.1970 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBilly Morris, Beaumont 6-9 Sr.David Brent, Sumner 7-0 Sr.Rick Suttle, Assumption 6-9 Jr.Steve Blind, Lindbergh 6-4 Sr.Tom McEvoy, DuBourg 6-4 Sr.1971 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassRon Caldwell, Alton 6-2 Sr.Jimmie Clark, Vashon 6-3 Sr.Steve Walsh, St. Louis U. High 6-6 Sr.Rick Suttle, Assumption 6-9 Sr.Marshall Rogers, Sumner 6-0 Sr.1972 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassHercle Ivy, Northwest 6-3 Sr.Dale Haverman, Belleville East 6-6 Jr.Kevin King, CBC 6-1 Sr.Lamont Turner, Vashon 6-8 Sr.Rich Knarr, Collinsville 6-1 Sr.1973 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassDarryl Winston, Lovejoy 6-6 Sr.Herbert Nobles, East St. Louis 6-6 Sr.Jim Kennedy, DeSmet 6-6 Sr.Gary Hoemann, Lutheran South 6-5 Sr.Reuben Shelton, Northwest 6-4 Sr.1974 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassMarc Fletcher, Collinsville 6-5 Sr.Dave Watkins, McCluer 6-4 Sr.Greg Ahart, Edwardsville 6-3 Sr.Jerry Sanders, Mercy 6-7 Sr.Johnny Parker, Central 6-7 Soph.1975 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBrad Droy, Triad 6-7 Sr.Milt Wiley, Belleville West 5-10 Sr.Arthur McFadden, Central 6-4 Jr.Grayling Tobias, McCluer 5-11 Sr.Charles Anthony, East St. Louis 6-5 Sr.1976 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassJohnny Parker, Central 6-8 Sr.Steve Lanter, Mascoutah 6-4 Sr.Leroy Stampley, Alton 6-1 Sr.Hasan Houston, University City 6-1 Sr.Leroy Jackson, Soldan 6-4 Sr.1977 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassKevin Stallings, Collinsville 6-5 Jr.Kenn Stoehner, St. Charles 6-0 Sr.Stan Elfrink, St. Henry 6-9 Sr.Rodney Brooks, Lebanon 6-3 Sr.Randall Jones, Madison 6-5 Sr.1978 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassKevin Stallings, Collinsville 6-5 Sr.Richard Hamilton, Central 6-5 Sr.David Thirdkill, Soldan 6-5 Sr.Dick Missavage, McCluer North 6-5 Sr.Mark Dressler, DeSmet 6-6 Sr.1979 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassJoe Washington, CBC 6-5 Sr.Tony Wallace, Wentzville 6-3 Sr.Gary Kerkemeyer, Collinsville 6-6 Sr.Dennis Luber, St. Paul 6-5 Sr.Steve Stipanovich, DeSmet 7-0 Sr.1980 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBill Mosier, Collinsville 6-8 Sr.John Smith, Alton 6-1 Sr.Robert Turner, McKinley 6-2 Sr.Darryl "Pee Wee" Lenard, Central 5-7 Jr.Dan Vierling, St. Louis U. High 6-4 Jr.1981 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassTroy Taylor, Soldan 6-3 Sr.Morris Hughes, Madison 6-2 Sr.Jon Collins, Cahokia 6-3 Sr.Darryl "Pee Wee" Lenard, Central 5-7 Sr.Dan Vierling, St. Louis U. High 6-4 Sr.1982 first team Player, school Height ClassBryan Boyle, St. Louis U. High 6-7 Sr.Tyrone Jackson, E. St. Louis Lincoln6-6 Sr.Ben Mitchell, CBC 6-7 Sr.Todd Porter, E. St. Louis Lincoln 6-5 Sr.Jim Roder, DeSmet 6-3 Sr.1983 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBarry Sumpter, Lovejoy 6-11 Sr.Ted Mimlitz, St. Louis U. High 6-5 Sr.Robert Ursery, Northwest 6-5 Sr.Tim Stock, DeSmet 6-6 Sr.Charles Bledsoe, Beaumont 6-6 Jr.1984 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassMike Hunter, Collinsville 6-2 Sr.Ramon Trice, Vashon 6-2 Sr.Charles Bledsoe, Beaumont 6-7 Sr.Bernard Gilkey, University City 6-1 Sr.Reco Weddington, Soldan 6-5 Sr.1985 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassSam Ivy, Webster Groves 6-6 Jr.*Monroe Douglass, McKinley 6-4 Sr.Lance Simmons, Soldan 6-5 Sr.Mike Sandbothe, Washington 6-7 Sr.Larry Smith, Alton 6-1 Jr.1986 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassSam Ivy, Webster Groves 6-7 Sr.Larry Smith, Alton 6-2 Sr.Anthony Bonner, Vashon 6-7 Sr.*Anthony Jones, Vashon 6-2 Sr.Chris Peay, University City 6-2 Sr.1987 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassLaPhonso Ellis, E. St. Louis Lincoln6-9 Jr.*Jesse Hall, Venice 6-3 Sr.Jeff Luechtefeld, Okawville 6-4 Sr.Craig Upchurch, Beaumont 6-8 Sr.Evan Pedersen, Parkway West 6-8 Jr.1988 first teamPlayer, school Height Class*LaPhonso Ellis, ESt Louis Lincoln 6-9 Sr.Sean Tunstall, Vashon 6-3 Sr.Jeffrey McCaw, Wellston 6-0 Sr.Tim Pace, Collinsville 6-5 Jr.Dale Turner, Venice 6-3 Sr.1989 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassCuonzo Martin, ESt Louis Lincoln 6-6 Jr.*Johnny Mack, Country Day 6-2 Sr.Paul Lusk Jr., Wesclin 6-4 Jr.Vincent Jackson, ESt Louis Lincoln 6-3 Sr.Tom Michael, Carlyle 6-8 Sr.1990 first teamPlayer, school Height Class*Cuonzo Martin, ESt Louis Lincoln 6-6 Sr.Myron Gordon, Webster Groves 6-6 Sr.Paul Lusk Jr., Wesclin 6-4 Sr.Scott Highmark, Parkway West 6-4 Jr.Damon Crawford, Berkeley 6-5 Sr.1991 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassJamal Johnson, Kirkwood 6-8 Sr.Julian Winfield, Cardinal Ritter 6-3 Sr.Richard Keene, Collinsville 6-5 Jr.*Scott Highmark, Parkway West 6-4 Sr.Smokey Evans, Cardinal Ritter 6-2 Sr.1992 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBrian Gavin, Parkway Central 6-1 Sr.*Richard Keene, Collinsville 6-5 Sr.Kelly Thames, Jennings 6-7 Jr.Rodney Byrd, O'Fallon 6-4 Sr.Corey Tate, Pattonville 6-5 Sr.1993 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassBrandon Klaus, De Soto 6-4 Sr.Ryan Robertson, St. Charles West 6-4 Soph.Tyrone Caswell, East St. Louis 6-6 Jr.*Kelly Thames, Jennings 6-7 Sr.Andrew Thompson, Edwardsville 6-7 Sr.1994 first team Player, school Height ClassChris Carrawell, Cardinal Ritter 6-7 Soph.Antonio Bobo, Vashon 6-8 Sr.*Demetrius Alexander, Hazelwood Central6-8 Sr.Ryan Robertson, St. Charles West 6-5 Jr.Ben Kandlbinder, Borgia 6-4 Sr.1995 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassChris Carrawell, Cardinal Ritter 6-7 Jr.Billy Coby, Chaminade 6-8 Sr.Josh Hotz, Borgia 6-4 Sr.*Ryan Robertson, St. Charles West 6-5 Sr.Chris Thunell, O'Fallon 6-8 Sr.1996 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassChris Carrawell, Cardinal Ritter 6-7 Sr.Tate Decker, Webster Groves 7-0 Sr.Larry Hughes, CBC 6-5 Jr.Johnnie Parker, Webster Groves 6-6 Jr.*Loren Woods, Cardinal Ritter 7-1 Sr.1997 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassMatt Baniak, DeSmet 6-9 Sr.Brian Grawer, Pattonville 6-0 Sr.*Larry Hughes, CBC 6-5 Sr.Johnnie Parker, Webster Groves 6-6 Sr.Justin Tatum, CBC 6-6 Sr.1998 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassMaurice Baker, Madison 6-0 Sr.Scott Brewster, Lafayette 6-6 Sr.*Jon Harris, Edwardsville 6-6 Sr.Jon-Pierre Mitchom, Ladue 6-2 Sr.Joel Shelton, Vashon 5-9 Soph.1999 first teamPlayer, school Height ClassMichael Grimes, Hazelwood Central 6-6 Sr.Dan Lytle, Edwardsville 6-10 Sr.*Darius Miles, East St. Louis 6-9 Jr.Jarriot Rook, Troy 6-8 Sr.Joel Shelton, Vashon 5-10 Jr.2000 first teamPlayer, school Height Class*Darius Miles, East St. Louis 6-9 Sr.Darren Brooks, Jennings 6-3 Sr.Joe Ries, DeSmet 6-8 Sr.Joel Shelton, Vashon 5-10 Sr.Chris Sloan, Francis Howell North 6-7 Sr.2001 first teamPlayer, school Height Class*David Lee, Chaminade 6-8 Sr.*Jimmy McKinney, Vashon 6-3 Jr.Ramon Kelly, Belleville West 6-5 Sr.Tamarr Maclin, CBC 6-7 Sr.Corey Simms, Normandy 6-5 Sr.2002 first teamPlayer, school Height Class*Jimmy McKinney, Vashon 6-3 Sr.Nicholas Kern, Vashon 6-8 Sr.Scott Stone, MICDS 6-1 Sr.Troy Slaten, Rockwood Marquette 6-5 Sr.James Collins, Lutheran North 6-4 Sr.2003 first teamPlayer, school Height Class*Kenny Burke, Cardinal Ritter 5-10 Sr.Randal Falker, Gateway Tech 6-7 Sr.Austin Kirby, Parkway Central 6-1 Sr.Grant Agbo, McCluer 6-6 Sr.Kevin Lisch, Althoff 6-1 Soph.*Players of the year, 1985 was the first year.(5) Graphic/chart - THE BEST OF THE BESTFirst team... Ht. YearJo Jo White, McKinley 6-3 1964Noteworthy: All-American at Kansas, 12-year career in the NBADarius Miles, East St. Louis 6-9 1999-2000 Noteworthy: Went fromhigh school to the No. 3 pick in the NBA draftLarry Hughes, CBC 6-5 1996-1997Noteworthy: After one-year stopover at SLU, he's in 5th season in NBASteve Stipanovich, DeSmet 7-0 1979 Noteworthy: Helped lift MUto prominence, No. 2 pick in '83 NBA draftLaPhonso Ellis, ESL Lincoln 6-9 1987-1988 Noteworthy: Stellarcareer at Notre Dame, No. 5 pick in '92 NBA draftSecond team... Ht. YearHarry Rogers, Sumner 6-7 1969Noteworthy: No. 6 scorer in SLU history, played with Spirits of St.LouisKevin Stallings, Collinsville 6-5 1977-197Noteworthy: Career at Purdue highlighted by Final Four appearanceRyan Robertson, SC West 6-5 1993-94-95Noteworthy: After state title, enjoyed solid career at KansasChris Carrawell, Ritter 6-7 1994-95-96Noteworthy: Two state titles, then a first-team All-American at DukeTom Parker, Collinsville 6-6 1967-1968 Noteworthy:Southeastern Conference player of the year at KentuckyThird team... Ht. YearJoe Wiley, Belleville 6-3 1966Noteworthy: Set Illinois tourney record with 128 points in four gamesAnthony Bonner, Vashon 6-7 1986Noteworthy: Led NCAA in rebounding in 1990, SLU's No. 1 scorerJimmy McKinney, Vashon 6-3 2001-2002Noteworthy: Sparked Vashon to three state titles, future bright at MUCuonzo Martin, ESL Lincoln 6-6 1989-1990Noteworthy: All-Big Ten star at Purdue, ranks No. 11 in career scoringRick Suttle, Assumption 6-9 1970-1971Noteworthy: Starred on Kansas team that reached the Final Four

There was an anniversary paper out a couple years ago that had the entire listing of the teams and players of the year. I got this post at school and will try to dig it up when I get home. I liked Jon Harris from Edwardsville, but I think he was helped a lot by having a steady pg in Mark Allaria. I believe he is the brother or some relation to current Edwardsville starting guard Joe Allaria who averaged 11 ppg last year as a sophomore.

The notes from Vtime and bono are certainly appreciated. If anyone could fill in the blanks .... namely who were the other four all-metro players on Polk's POY year (2004) and Shipley's POY year (2005) it would be greatly appreciated.