Impressions from the first exhibition game

thetorch

Decent size crowd there considering

Shimmy good luck, you are going to need it.

I don't know how they made our mascot look worse but they did.

Excellent showing by the Blue Crew and Students. Doing a helluva job there. Here's hoping they keep the buses running this year.

Pregame intros were not good. I like turning the lights off and the 2001 theme music but the video montage and music just wouldn't stop. It lasted forever. Definetely need to cut that back or play it during the player intros. Turning the lights back on for player intros was also bush league. Keep em off.

Soderberg seems to have implemented his uptempo system well.

JJ gives Darren Clarke a run for his money as the worst recruit of the Soderberg era.

We will have to run a 4 guard offense by default. JJ is a lost cause, he isn't even in the doghouse anymore, Brad took him to the pound and they are getting ready to euthanize. Newborne looks to have picked up some weight this year. That won't help. He is not good enough on the boards and his only offensive contribution is popping threes. At least he looks like he will be a littmore accurate from downtown than he was his first year.

Obi is a redshirt no doubt about it. Lose 30 lbs and lose the limp and he might be a versatile 4.

Could we see a twin tower lineup? Vouyoukas is too slow to handle a 4 but Husak can get up and down pretty well. It might be worth considering a few minutes a game depending on matchups.

Liddell looks really smooth. Shot wasn't dropping for him and I doubt he will ever be a high percentage shooter but he can really finish and has great skills as a rebounder.

Polk can be a star if he makes those outside shots.

Lisch is pretty solid on offense and is drejaj junior on defense. His time will be limited cuz he fouls alot. He will foul out of several games this year. Otherwise he would be a starter.

I knock Drejaj a lot but he may have gotten a hair faster this year. He is a good pest, just cannot get too worked up on his dribble.

probably my absolute favorite moment of the night last nite actually came in the women's game. a lady billiken took a charge and got the call and shimmy went nuts. she two hand high fived the entire bench, a few fans, the scorers table, and a ref.

she is high octane. i want her on our side.

My wife saw shimmy throw the ball down in disgust after a call and said "wow, I've never seen a billiken coach lose it like that" In her defense she didn't get a chance to see any of the games Brad got T'd up in last year........

It goes without saying that I like her. Shimmy, I mean.........

Depends what type of 4 is out there. I think he could handle a guy who didn't stray too far from the hoop. Not many 4s around who can handle the ball well enough to get past anybody much less the 8 foot wingspan of Husak.

I went through the schedule again and thought 12 victories would be a possibility. I have predicted near 20 win seasons the last 3 years and have been burned so I am keeping my expectations in check. Much too young of a team, we may steal a couple at home but on the road I don't expect us to win more than a couple games.