Alex Tyus update from PrepStars

Nate Latsch

There is a story about Alex Tyus on PrepStars.com.

It mentions his unofficial visit to St. Louis University, among other schools.

Here is what he said about his top schools:

"Right now if I had to pick my top five, it would be Syracuse, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Miami," Tyus said. "The two that seem to be on me the hardest are Syracuse and Arizona."

- Nate

I think you are wrong about saying that ends the Alex Tyus tease. Last year we were not even in the conversation, but he listed SLU first when he talked about his unofficial visits. This interview was done before his dad went to practice, too. I think SLU has time to gradually move up his list. Not to mention the fact that he has been hyped as THE player on the Harmony squad so he has to keep mentioning the high majors to keep his "street cred" up. I think we are right where we want to be for now, and I know the staff is working it just right so you never know what could happen, but I seriously doubt this is the last we will hear of Tyus and the Billikens.

Hands off Alex! He's a midwestern kid. Remember those kids you never tried to recruit here! He'll probably get him as I'm sure he established some type of relationship with Alex and his family when he was at SLU. However, I've got to think Alex would have a tough time garnering playing time at WU given what Zo's recruited into the front court so far, two of the toprated big men in the country. Alex, listen, you want to immediately be a starter, loved, cherished, doted upon, come to SLU. Orangeman, you seem to have some inside scoop on the Bills and recruiting, so I'll ask. How much of a role in AT's decision might depend on what he and his dad see out of the Billikens this year? Also, how close is AT to TL, KL, DP since they all played around the same time? Could it be a buddy recruit?

imo, because romar was actually very well rec'd by the st louis coaches. he was out and about constantly when in st louis and i seemed to see him at high school games constantly when he was the coach here. i.e. he made huge inroads when he coached the billikens and now coupled with the recent washington success he will capitalize on the up and coming talent. the underclasses in slu have some very good talent.

>Roy - so please explain why he did not get any of the top

>local talent. Brad has been more successful in the same or

>less time. Romar can come and recruit all he wants but he

>has to go through SLU to do it.

You must be kidding. Lo Ro is getting kids that are top 10 talent. Just lost a kid to the NBA. I am sure BS is praying that LO Ro doesn't get near St. Louis. SLU has no shot at out recruiting UW.

Your statement is as far over the top in the other direction. I think it depends on the kid. SLU outrecruited UI for Lisch, and plenty of schools for Liddell. Romar is an outstanding recruiter and IMO a great guy. If he goes after St. Louis kids ... I'd be surprised if he didn't get some ... but I'd be just as surprised if UB doesn't get his share.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Billyboy - we are not talking about Romar recruiting at UW - we were talking about his recruiting at SLU so stick to the topic. My question centered on if Romar could not get the top local talent when he was here then why do you think that he will be able to lure them now. Something prevented him from being successful here - it is not the school alone - if so, Brad would not have gotten who he has. I am not sure what the problem was but Romar kept coming in second with everybody - here or on the west coast. I am happy for him but he or you can not simply expect to waltz in here and get who ever he wants - his time in St. Louis did not make him the Pied Piper. Also, my post was not over the top - all I said was that he would have to go through SLU - given that Brad has made this area a priority and he has started closing the borders I think it is fair to say Romar and anybody else will not have an easy go of it like when lets say Romar was here.

Darren Brooks, Phillip Gilbert just two name a few.

Maybe, not high major players on big list, but they had huge careers and could have helped the billikens win a lot more games. definitely more than randy pulley and floyd mcclain did for us.

joe reis of desmet andthe oppland kid at valpo was pretty good too. a lot better than ross varner and andrew latimer, i would say.

bad boyz for life

p diddy, we both know that neither Brooks nor Gilbert were high D1 recruits coming out of high school.....however, we can also both agree that they had great, great MVC careers. My response was about high D1 high-school recruits located in the midwest, the likes of a Alex Tyus. No hindsight allowed!

Joe Reis in the C-USA.....a high D1 high-school recruit......please!

as stated a million times, romar came closer on the bigtime local talent than anyone ever imagined. he did recruit sloan, he was in the running until late on lee, he was darius miles second choice, he got kern and was the second choice on mckinney. the ones he missed on, he never attempted to get like the siu boys or the oppland boys where he refused to take the 2 for 1 deal. just because he refused to load the roster with division II st louis talent, doesnt mean he wasnt out making the connections to capitalize when the time was right. i believe a lot of coach soderberg's local recruiting success can be credited to romar breaking down spoon gates.

next billiken club meeting ask earl if romar had developed end roads in st louis that spoon never came close to getting in. spoon never went out to high school games. perferring to work the night club circuit instead. romar was a regular fixture at the local high school games.

p diddy, i have a lot of respect for your insight. and your points as tseugnekillib stated are hindsight. more specifically, let's not talk about results as much as the act of setting the table. in your opinion, who was out setting up local relationships more with the high school and aau coaches? romar or spoon? that is what i was getting at. romar wanted the known big dogs. but he still worked the locals to be in a position for those bigtime players when they came through. that was my point.

Roy, after reading your respone - I think you make a good point about Romar making possible inroads. Spoon - we both agree that he did a terrible job recruiting locally. Finally, coming in second on the local talent has been a reoccuring theme at SLU - Albreit, Coleman, Grawer, Spoon - who knows about him, and Romar. Not so for Brad. All I am saying is that if Romar had made such a big impression then he should have hit on somebody - granted he got Sloan but Sloan was not considered a coveted player - I am not knocking him - he was a good player for us, just pointing out the situation.

I can't recall too many Chicago area players he went after. Or Ill players outside of the ST.L metro area. We get anyone of note from Ohio, Arkansas, Kansas, W. Mo, Nebraska? Oh yeah, we got Kern, non qualifier, Seyfert, one and done and Montana is actually west.

We would have stood a lot better shot at kids from these states than California who never heard of St. Louis University. Hell, Spoon recruited better than Zo, MP, JLove (admittedly wc), MO Jeffers, Dobbs.Look, he's building a nice program at WU. Building it at a school where football reigned supreme and now may be over taken by hoops. Good for him. And my post sure isn't going to keep him out of recruting who ever he thinks he's got a shot at. They could be in China. My post was meant to be humorous, glad you took it that way tsueg.

Broy, two unnotables hs players come to mind. Craig Smith and Dudley from BC. Both large D1 talents that flew under the radar screen. It's easy to go after Teleps top 100, it's much harder to identify potential and be willing to take the risk. Those kids Pdiddy mentioned would have been contributors at SLU, whereas players like Pulley, Seyfert, McClain were not. I think this is where UB has to make his inroads in recruiting for the immediate future; kids that have the potential to develop. We are not the draw for the top 50 or 100 right now. I think TL and KL will be two kids the big schools will wonder why they didn't pursue harder in HS. I'm really looking forward to KL matching up with that guard from Ill who went to UNC on December 7th.

72 - I agree somewhat with what you said but I do think SLU can recruit top 100 players that are local. Those MVC players mentioned by Pdiddy would absolutely have helped us big time. You are right - Brad has to be a shrewd judge of talent to keep this program moving forward.

>Why do you say that Nate? Just curious really.

Because I know Romar is recruiting St. Louis, and not just Tyus.

Romar is coming after some of the young talent here in St. Louis, and he just might get some of it. He has done a good job at Washington and has had a lot of success in recruiting.

Right now, Washington is one of the better basketball programs in the country. If a kid from St. Louis wants to play at a school with the opportunity to have success in conference and NCAA tourney play, he will consider Washington.

No, Washington isn't up to the level of other schools like Duke, UNC, UConn, etc. But UW is turning into a viable option for the top basketball prospects in the country.

- Nate