Breakout year for Polk?

VTIME

i continue to hear from more and more different sources that drejaj is the player in practice besides liddell. we all need to prepare ourselves for it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

because of his flat out speed and quickness. speed kills. and i would want to give that a chance to flourish as well. that said, as your next favorite team skip why drew lavendar is no more?

I don't really know what the deal was there.

I know he was losing minutes at the point and like DP ... he really didn't have the skills to play off the ball. Also Kelvin S is like Brad a no nonsense work your ass off coach ... maybe he saw the writing on the wall as far as minutes go, maybe a personality thing with the coach.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

i agree that wont be the norm simply because without the ball, polk will be so far out front liddell will be hitting him with halfcourt passes for easy layups and dunks and that will become the best highlight film in the country since the nate robinson highlights of last year. however if the break turns into polk passing to brown or liddell filling the lanes, that is very conventional and quite honestly will not result in as many successful finishes simply because polk would have been further out front of the defense than liddell and brown would have.

What exactly does that mean, besides Lidell. He's the starter at PG or TL's backup. Does it mean we see AD at sg, TL at 3, DP at PG? That doesn't strike me as the best combo of guards we have, but hey, I'm no one to question UB. The problem I see with these 3 is who is the perimiter shooter that is going to make teams come out and defend them? TL is not noted for his outside shooting. AD, unless he's improved greatly over the summer, is a clang banger, and DP, contrary to V-time's optimism, didn't exactly light it up from beyond the arc.

it means i think drejaj will play a lot more than i thought he would just a couple of weeks ago. that is one resiliant kid. we have to give him credit.

from the way practices have gone so far, word on the street is that danny brown will emerge as a starter for one of the perimeter spots. danny has been excellent. i still think drejaj will be in the starting lineup, initially. (there's no way around it folks). polk, liddell and lisch will be the third perimeter starter or maybe two if brad decides to go with four guards.

it's the most competitive situation at the perimeter spots that we've ever had here. claggett, highmark, H, mccauley and turner were a great foursome, but their roles were clearly defined.

The competition for playing time with this group (and still without luke because of injury) has been great and it creates plenty of options. it also means that guys can't fall into bad habits because there is someone ready to go.

they key for dwayne is his shooting. He has to shoot a better percentage than last year from the perimeter and the foul shot. he's bigger and stronger and the one year of college last year when he was thrown to the wolves was great for his development. you just can't imagine how much he learned last year. if he can make some shots, that would keep defenders from backing off of him and clogging things up, plus it would set up his penetration and speed. by the end of the season, teams were having trouble pressing us with dwayne on the floor. even UAB, which is the best at it, had trouble with DP until the refs put the whistles away and let the blazers manhandle little DP. DP is an excellent distributor, a hell of a rebounder for his size, and he's getting better at ball pressure defensively 90-feet away and he can be a one-man press break like marque was. that alone will make him a valuable guard. if the shots start to fall consistently, then we have breakout city.

bad boyz for life.

i disagree skip. that means that liddell will be the point guard.

if drejaj and brown are the wings as there is no way that liddell wont be on the floor. he is far and away the best player on the team. he has to play.

I for one think it's great if Danny Brown wins a starting job. That means we will be even better than I thought. We know that Kevin-Tommie-and Dwayne are good players,so if Danny beats one of them out of a starting job that means we're even better than expected. I still find it hard to believe that Dreja can keep a starting job past the first few games. If he can keep the job then all power to him.

I just meant by the skills he described Dwayne as having ... and to give you ######.

You might as well just give in ... say DP is a pg at the D1 level. You don't have to say he is the best pg on the Bills team though.

My point really is though ... if DP is not the point he has no business on the floor. We have better options at the other 2 guard spots.

Think we're all in agreement AD does not have the ability/skills of TL,DP,KL, DB, or possibly even LM. That said he's rumored to be a starter. Why? I'm thinking it's got to do with UB being comfortable with him as the most experienced man on the court. The comment, player coach, to me indicates the biggest things AD's got going for him are experience against a bunch of inexperience and tenacity on D (the way UB expects it to be played, which our young guys have to learn). That said, unless his 3 pt shot has markedly improved, we do not pose problems on the perimiter for opponents. Thereby, making it tougher to score inside. Defenses will pack it in and dare us to shoot. Also, how does his starting improve our transition game? What scares me is maybe no one has taken the lead to be the dead eye perimiter guy we need and therefore UB cannot deny AD playing time, because he would be giving up, good D, more than he's going to gain. Going to be very interesting to see how the mpg plays out this year.

skip said, "if DP is not the point he has no business on the floor. We have better options at the other 2 guard spots."

i dont know how to answer that. i love polk. but i tend to agree the longer it goes, the more i might agree with the above sentence. as willie stated above when talking about brown and drejaj playing more, that means a lot of good is going no down at west pine. what a great problem to have!

actually from what i have heard from more than one source, drejaj is simply outplaying the rest. it has nothing to do with how anyone feels about anyone.

That is the only point I have been trying to make. I never said DP would be a better point than Tommie. My first post was to Vtime who believes Polk is a natural wg and not a pg, which is ridiculous. Dwayne does not posess the skills nor the body to be effective at the other 2 guards. BTW I love Dwayne also. I have no problem with DP at the point and Tommie on the wing.

The thing for me is I think the combination of Tommie, Kevin and Danny could create huge problems for other teams defensively. I think all 3 of those guys could be as good as any defender on any team. Also with those 3 ... how does a team with a small guard match up. Who would you put him on. Kevin ... who is so strong he can just over power him, or shoot over him if he backs off him.

while i agree that of the positions, point guard suits polk best personally, i dont necessarily agree that he could not be an effective wing. especially with the likes of liddell and either lisch or brown as the other two guards as the defensive matchups can work.

There is one big reason why Dwayne, not Tommie, should be point guard on offense if they are on the court at the same time--Rebounds. Part of the small forward's job is to crash the offensive glass. The point guard, by contrast, is typically at the top of the three point arc and is coached to get back on defense when a shot goes up. Tommie may be our second best rebounder on the team. Dwayne, while a good rebounder for his size, should not be counted on to crash the boards.

Notwithstanding the rebounds, I still think Dwayne is better suited to play point, with the responsibility to bring the ball up the court and break any potential press. Tommie is best suited to create offense from the wing, where he is more apt to find lanes to slash the glass.

From what I have seen at practice, coach agrees with me. Too bad for VTime.

all i know is that

1. no one is a better passer than tommie

2. no one is better with the ball than tommie

3. if tommie doesnt have the ball, in the past, he tended to disappear at times. if he was the point guard, he couldnt.

sammie mejia was the depaul point guard last year. he averaged 5 rebs a game. we only had two players average as many last year, izik and ian.

I never said you said four PGs on the floor at the same time although my statement appears interpretable that way. I am trying to be as positive as possible on the upcoming season despite old perceptions that are dying a hard death.

>all i know is that

>

>1. no one is a better passer than tommie

>2. no one is better with the ball than tommie

>3. if tommie doesnt have the ball, in the past, he tended to

>disappear at times. if he was the point guard, he couldnt.

>

>sammie mejia was the depaul point guard last year. he

>averaged 5 rebs a game. we only had two players average as

>many last year, izik and ian.

Again, excellent post

>i agree that wont be the norm simply because without the

>ball, polk will be so far out front liddell will be hitting

>him with halfcourt passes for easy layups and dunks and that

>will become the best highlight film in the country since the

>nate robinson highlights of last year. however if the break

>turns into polk passing to brown or liddell filling the

>lanes, that is very conventional and quite honestly will not