Broadcast of Games

cheeseman

I have been thinking about this radio station switch that is upcoming. Some have said that they did not want to go with 550 because we would be lost in the shuffle with the Rams, Blues and Cardinals. The Cards will be finished playing by the time we start so I am not sure they should be a concern. The Rams play on Sunday except for an occasional Monday night game and we usually - if not ever - play on a Sunday afternoon so they would not be an issue. Now the Blues are another matter - their games could be when our games are whether we are at home or on the road. But, the more I think about it, even if we got moved for a Blues game from 550 that should not matter. Since 550 will have the Cardinals they have promised to sign up more affliates to make sure that the regional fan base is adequately covered. So, if 550 has to shuffle us then we could easily be given to a couple of their affliates whose coverage area matches our local fan base. This could end up being a good thing if we end up with 550. The other alternatives are not good because of their weak night signals. What about a FM station picking us up?

the cardinals deal they used to have with kmox was that even in spring training cardinals came first. i.e. let's say the billikens are advancing in tourney play. pre-empted for a spring training game. that would p!ss me off.

On the note of Broadcasting. On the old (formerly new) server, I had a boat load of space. I was really contemplating uploading some Game Videos for people to watch (people may remember me trying to do this 2 years ago, but now I could do it really well). However, University would likely say big no no. However... I have thought about it (Especially with something like Tivo2Go).

there are some good things about this, including

1) we are the only local sports team located on 590 and thus will receive the bulk of their promotional efforts. I don't ever remember KMOX advertising specific games.

2) With more available air-time I would hope Brad will have a show the entire season, unlike on KMOX where it was basically Jan-March.

3) People will always know where we are, no searching the dial

4) I don't know anything about the FM sister station, does it have a strong signal?

5) 590 is listenable on the net. I don't know if the games will be available or not but there is a chance the out of towners won't have to pay a subscription fee like last year.

With the internet access...the strength of a station isn't as important to our position with the station. If we are one of the few teams on 590...they have a stake in our success. The better we do, the better they do. If our following builds, their following builds, especially in these sports radio "wars".

If we commit to 590....they will do everything they can to promote their product. At KMOX...they had their cash cow...the Cards. Thats why I think the Cards decided to make a move. KMOX may have been taking them for granted. Everyting else on KMOX (including Mizzou) was out to make a little money or break even.

I am cool with this proposition, especially if it upgrades our exposure. If you live outisde of st louis, the reality of today's sports is that you will have to rely on the internet to listen.

GO BILLS

I would love to see the Bills try to build a network in the local area, a station in Washington now that Luke is on board, in the bootheel, in Hannibal, etc to spread the word. It will be hard as Mi$$ou is doing the same, but we should be able to spread our word. The key is, win baby, win. The 9-21 record last year is really killing us.

mhg

590 is listenable on the net. I don't know if the games will be available or not but there is a chance the out of towners won't have to pay a subscription fee like last year.

and i also echo the part about a team to embrace by the station. we can hope anyway.

With us on 590 and with the change of Rammer moving to be The A$$H@!#'s partner, I wonder if the self-proclaimed King will continue to denigrate our Bills and continue to refer to Brad as a liar and someone not to be trusted (and if so I wonder what Rammer will say).

Rammer is on the way out - nobody can live with Slaten. He got pissed at Clayborne because he did not really always agree with him and so Slaten worked his magic. Rammer will be eaten alive particularily since Slaten seems to be the fair haired child of 590 now - funny how just a few years ago, they exiled him - new ownership and all. Rammer has not been real hot to support us on his show anyway so now with Slaten banging on Brad and the team and Rammer afraid to loose his job it will be a mess. By the way, doesn't 590 carry the Illini?