DREJAJ (FACTOR OR NON-FACTOR)?

GATEWAY

IS HE GOING TO BE A FACTOR THIS YEAR? HE WAS THE 3RD LEADING SCORER BEHIND REGGIE BRYANT WHO CAME FROM THE BIG EAST AND ISSAC OHANNON WHO CAME FROM OVERSEAS WITH PRO BASKETBALL EXPERIENCE.

I WAS LOOKING AT THE STATS FROM THE PAST FEW YEARS ON ESPN.COM, HE WAS THE 3RD SCORER BEHING TWO GUNNERS, FIRST OR SECOND IN ASSISTS HOW EVER YOU WANT TO LOOK AT THAT ONE ASSIST DIFFERENCE, AND LEAD THE TEAM IN STEALS, AND MANY OF THE POSTS I HAVE BEEN READING DON'T MENTION HIM AS BEING A FACTOR, SO I WOULD IMAGE HE IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE STATS MAY SUGGEST OR THE SENIORS THAT WERE THE GOTO GUYS WEREN'T AS GOOD AS THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO BE.

ONE MORE THING, I NOTICE A DECLINE IN HIS PERCENTAGE THIS YEAR TO THE FIRST TWO, WERE THERE ANY INJURIES THAT DREJAJ HAD? OR JUST PLAN BAD SHOOTING YEAR? THANKS BILLIKEN FANS, GOD BLESS, AND ALL THE BILLIKENS

I think Drejaj brings a silent leadership to the youthful Bills, but don't doubt his fire and emotion on the court. Obviously as a senior, the coaching staff will look for him to be a leader on and off the court and Drejaj is the type of player who can step into that role and excel. I see Meyer and maybe Polk as more vocal leaders because they know that they have to assume a larger role when Drejaj departs. You gotta groom your leaders early. I think Brad knows who his leaders are. If not Drejaj, then definately Meyer.

They always say that Derek Jeter was born to be a Yankee. That's why he has so much respect for the game and so much passion. I think we'll see the same in Luke Meyer. He's got that Billy pride in him and he carries himself like a Saint Louis University student-athlete should.

First, put me down for drejaj being a factor this upcoming season. He has too much experience and toughness not to be a factor. the question should be, in what role will be be a factor.

If the drejaj that we've watched for the past three years is playing 28-30 minutes of game, that would be bad and we would be in for a long season because:

*he's gets exposed if you play him too many minutes.

*he's not an offensive threat

*he would stunt the development of more talented young players such as kevin. dp or db.

*the ball seems to wind up in his hands with the shot clock under 1 seconds way to much and he cannot create a play as we painfully saw last season.

I love the intangibles that AD brings to the table, but unless he becomes a more reliable shooter and consistent scorer (like josh fisher did), i hope he doesn't see as many minutes. his defensive grit, effort, fire and leadership will be valuable to this team, but he has to be a better player to keep more talented wing players on the bench. his talent suggest that he is a part-time player and not a full-time player who can change the pace of a game when he enters the game and provide the occasional offensive spark.

he played a lot the first three years because we had nobody else (hunt was a walkon, clark had no competitive desire and last year's rookies were still green). that isn't the case this year.

i hope he proves me wrong, but the ball is in his court. I need to see a whole lot more from him as a senior because he has some more talented folks fighting him for minutes.

Anthony would be at his best and most effective as a role player.

btw, vas'shun is in the same boat. he is a hard-worker with good leadership qualities and he is vocal, but he his talent is very limited. he needs to be a role player too, based on what we saw last year. jj has a bigger upside as does a healthy obi.

bad boyz for life

I am a much bigger fan of OBI, sight unseen, than JJ. I cannot get the 'deer in the headlights' look out of my mind when he first started to play for us. If we are depending on JJ to produce much, this is a weakness other teams will profit from, I am sorry to say. Hope I am wrong, but JJ won't take us any higher than we were last year.

mhg

Hopefully, Anthony will be a factor in some manner. Perhaps his determination, toughness and defensive effort will be his contribution. Any points AD gets is just a bonus.

My guess is that SLU playing in the A-10, and against players AD may be familiar with .....just might be an added incentive to bring out the best in AD.

AD has been gone from the east now for over 3 years - he has limited exposure to players from that area by now.

Pdiddy - I agree 100% with you regarding your entire post.

Bbooster - I too have hopes for Obie but that is all they are until we see him actually on the court. I disagree with your assessment of JJ - if JJ plays we will be better off then last year. The problem was, Brad did not let him play. Now I understand all the issues that have been discussed about JJ in the past - I just think that if he can be allowed to play he will produce both defensively and offensively. Brad simply has to let him stay in even if he makes a mistake once in a while - he does it with AD and others.

imo, considering that the only big brad has brought in for this year is a kid with a previous serious knee injury that was so bad he didnt play for an entire year makes me want to believe that he believes that newborne and johnson will be great.

imo, if that thinking is wrong, plus, obi isnt ready, we are in a world of trouble. that would mean we are depending on the grecian formula to control the entire inside both offensively and defensively single handedly.

I'd agree with Pdiddy on AD, he's got a role to play but please let it be limited to a disruptive element on defense. If we are counting on him to provide offense, at least based on his past performances, this is going to be a very long season indeed. We're crowded at the guard/wing position right now with TL, KL, DP, DB, and LM...if he gets 20-30 mpg it means one of those weren't as talented as we thought and won't contribute as much in future seasons.

which unless the roulette wheel hits, we are in a world of trouble. the thought of playing 4 guards for signifcant stretches is not appealing to me.

none of our guards except maybe danny brown, would have even a thought of a potential to turn into roger powell. they are true guards imo.

At the NBA Draft Camp Roger Powell measured 6 4 3/4 without shoes, with a 6 11 1/2 inch reach. He tipped the scales at 218 lb.

Danny Brown isn't even a legit 6'4 in shoes and is at least 15 lb lighter than Powell. Luke is a legit 6'5 but he doesn't have the hops or the bulk that an undersized post player needs to be effective in the paint. We need Ikeakor to be a contributor at some point this season or we're going to get killed inside by the likes of Charlotte, Xavier and George Washington.

3 star, that was my point. we dont have a roger powell. i only listed brown simply because he has a big time body compared to the other fresh/soph wings. but even then i did state remotely.

meyer has more height (still small for pf talk), but he doesnt have the athleticism of say chris sloan to pull it off.

3 star says, "I saw meyer throw down an alley-oop with two hands at West Pine last fall when the guys were just horsing around."

that surprises me. i never saw that ability in his appearances last winter.