No Mas, No Mas

After the comments I have recieved from my last post I will go on a leave of abscense from this site. I am a fairly new poster to this site and have had mixed thoughts about the goings on here the past few months. Without giving to much away, I feel like the name calling I recieved was low class and something I am not interested in being apart of.

If you read my post I only repeated a story that an athletic department insider gave me today. I was shocked to hear what I heard but decided to post it anyway due to the fact of my concern. My source, who will remain nameless, I can assure you has no malicious intent to anyone or anything related to billiken athletics. I trust this person to the highest degree. I have been very careful to post on this site because of my close ties with many in the athletic department. I am privey to a lot of information not known to the general public and yes even those who wish to think they know things because they go to billiken club meetings or see staff around town and might have a chat with them.

I was personally offended by posters who called me a liar and other refrences I won't talk about. I am one of the few people on this board that played and was a head coach in Division I athletics and knows most if not all the people in the billikin athletic department.

One of the frustrating things for me is to read all the wishful thinking when it comes to slu athletics. I happened to be friends and a huge fan of all the sports at slu and will continue to be. I would like to point out that just because you are a booster or see a coach at west pine or attend a billiken club meeting that does not mean you are getting the whole story. I can remember a situation in which I went to the MAC for a billiken club lunch with Coach Romar and on the way to the lunch we were disscusing some issues he was dealing with in the program. He was then asked basically the exact question in the billiken club metting and he basically put a nice picture to it for the gentleman who asked the question. My point is that unless your a current coach or part of the staff you will always get an optimistic answer to a question or comment. When I was coaching and a reporter asked me how my team was gonna do and I knew it was going to be written about or i was talking to people outside my own staff I surely did'nt tell anyone I thought we were going to struggle and have a bad year. I can assure you one year I knew my team was going to be extremely weak because of kids I lost due to injury and academic problems, I never gave my concerns out to the general public but definately talked about it with current coaches on staff and my adminstraters that I worked with.

My point is, I stand by my post. I am not lying, my source is extremely credible and trustworthy. My only regret was to post it. I have sat on other things that have poped up but I can see that this community can not handle the truth. I will not apologize for some of the comments I have made on other posts. Slu athletics has problems that are not talked about, but people behind the scenes know and understand. If you think that it is a happy family then you are extremely misinformed. Sometimes my posts might seem negative but I try to give an unfiltered point of view. Sometimes painting a bright picture on a problem just covers up the problem and things never get solved. I will continue to go and support the Bills financially and with my presence on the fields and courts. It's unfortunate but this no longer can be a venue in which I share information.

While I wish you would continue to post, I understand your reservations. However, if you still wish to share some interesting information with some of the "misguided" members of this community, you can always e-mail those you select through the e-mail links on the board. I would like to hear from you!

While I, too (like many others have proffered), would be bemused if Coach Soderberg did actually tell Cheryl Levick that he expected a 9-21 record for 2005-06, I do have to agree with those who think many of the posters here are being a bit too optimistic. Even though I have tended to be among the most optimistic (or blindly homerish) Billikens fans here, I think the Bills' experience -- or lack there of -- will not be conducive to having a record much above .500, if at all. That would be if everything goes right. If anything goes wrong, as tends to happen during a long basketball season, we're probably looking at wins somewhere in the range of 11 or 12.

The guards are all freshmen and sophomores (except Anthony Drejaj, who I don't think we want to have the reins at the point). The last time that happened -- Marque Perry was a sophomore coming off of a devastating, season-ending injury, Drew Diener was a sophomore, Josh Fisher was a sophomore playing his first season after sitting out as a transfer, and Jason Edwin, Chris Sloan, and Floyd McClain were freshmen -- the Billikens missed the postseason despite having probably the best overall frontcourt in the conference (Maurice Jeffers, Matt Baniak, Chris Heinrich, and Justin Tatum). I know that I picked the Bills to do quite well that season, but at the end of the season I had to admit that I'd overlooked the lack of backcourt experience (and guards of the lifeblood of college basketball).

I would like to be optimistic, but considering the Bills' lack of experience on the perimeter, I can't wisely project the Billikens to do much better than last year, if at all better.

I really feel you..I too was in this same situation last year. Only I would post what my opinions and observations were. Because they weren't popular, I too received negativity in my post. I've contemplated not posting several times and it was suggested by several people from SLU..but I decided to continue. I said this with VTIME and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but I would love to see that stance that will be taken for those who cursed you and called you out of your name. This is a Public board, nothing was said disrespectful, he doesn't make a nuiscance out of himself for posting so much, he's not trying to stir up the pot, Billsboy just shared some info he'd gotten. Never did he say it was true, just shared it..and all hell broke loose..Whats up with that? Again I ask you guys..why is Billsboy wrong for posting info that was shared with him? Why is he a liar..how can he lie about what was shared..now if he said this is what Brad said then that's a different story..that's not what he wrote..He clearly said a source told him. So is he lying about the source? Is that what is meant when he's called a liar?

Well keep me in the know..email me Billsboy..I like getting info, I'm not so gullable that I'll just believe things without merrit but staying informed is always better than being surprised in the end. The Ironic thing is all that I stated in the post about VTIME is clearly proven in this case. Now what's the excuses..

I'm sorry, even if you speak the truth, why would you betray the very people that you claim you trust and who trust you. Here is your statement:

"I can assure you one year I knew my team was going to be extremely weak because of kids I lost due to injury and academic problems, I never gave my concerns out to the general public but definately talked about it with current coaches on staff and my adminstraters that I worked with.

My point is, I stand by my post. I am not lying, my source is extremely credible and trustworthy."

If you, as a coach, would discuss your pessimistic outlook with people who you trust to not leak it to the "general public", then why would you now give out the "inside " information which was supposedly passed on to you in confidence. You said that "my source is extremely credible and trustworthy". I doubt that could be said about you, especially the trustworthy part.

No one ever said there weren't problems with the Billiken basketball team, other Billiken teams, or with the entire athletic department. If there weren't, we wouldn't have much to talk about, would we. But, if someone makes such an outlandish statement which he/she states is true because of the source, then that person is either lying or is betraying the very trust that he/she said would be expected of others. It just doesn't add up.

You do what you feel you've got to do ... but the outside of the cursing, the knocks against the information in the post might be true. Gister has a great point about trustworthiness and why one would betray that, if one truly did. I can't say.

Brehms has some points as well. Mt first run-in with her was what I thought was my being cautious about relying on Reggie Bryant so much after a year of sitting out. It was not an attack just some caution. Reggie started out very well in hindsight and I would hope brehms understands my comments as much as I liked and understood hers. But if you are an insider .... as she was and you might be ... you must be careful. Same could be said for Nate.

Every board is going to have some impassioned homerism. That's why these boards exist. Blogs are impassioned homerisms as well. Shat happens. I have never predicted how this team will do in any given season. To me its that old saying of bet with the head, not the heart. Could I see Brad making the statement? Sure. But I sincerely doubt it would ever be stated in a public forum. I've coached as well and I've never understood managing your tema in the press. He didn't put it there ... you did. What's said behind closed doors deserves to stay there. Was Mark Feldt a hero?

I have always cautioned the optimism when a team depends mostly on freshmen. Hughes proved me wrong but how many times in one's lifetime does SLU see a Hughes? One-and-done I'm afraid. I like the incoming class .... I am hopeful on Liddell, Lisch and Obi. I also like the Maguire signing and the Koch rumors. Only time will tell. And before everyone starts ranting and raving on TL ... please remember that the next Hughes .... Charles "Rickey" Cranford .. was not that long ago.

Dayton went very far with eight freshmen last year. Can we do the same? I guess .. its the A-10 and not CUSA. And I don't mean that to disrepsect the A-10 but playing a Duquesne or a LaSalle is more realistic to me than a UAB or a TCU.

I try to think a little before I post. Some may disagree or say I do a pretty p*ss poor job at it. I also believe that the context of the statement, if it were true, is missing. Frankly, without having been there, neither you ... nor I ... should have made the post you did.

What you've said has validity..that's why it's up to the readers of the post as to whether they'll accept the information or not. We may not even agree with the post. Saying that to say I'd rather read a post like yours Gister. You said how u feel without being mean. Different from the ones calling Billsboy names and being disrespectful. My comments in a nutshell are ...It's a way to disagree with people on here without disrespecting them..u showed us one good way, but what about those who are disrespectful..what happens then? A person may feel that if he doesn't say things the board might agree with, then he/she wouldn't be heard. We didn't even get into the issue of Billsboy and his trustworthiness to the source, that would have been a fair question, but he just immediately became the villan and regardless if it's admitted or not..disrespected. That's the only issue I have with this..when it was VTIME some pointed out his antics as the reason for his suspension. Why r we ready to let a potential poster go because he made a statement that many don't believe? Or don't agree with. Wasn't the suspension in part done so that potential posters wouldn't be turned off from the board? (these questions are directed to u perse,just general questions) So my question is..isn't this situation quite the contrary?

I couldn't understand why the fact that Reg was my brother hindered me from posting my personal opinions. But what I did realize was that even the appearance that Reg was telling me stuff wasn't good either. I honestly spoke about things that I thought was the problem. That I myself would question the coaches, or players etc..Basically from being at practices, games, talking to the coaches during the course of the year, reporters, and others outside of SLU university, but were still SLU fans. Though Taj, you and I got off to a rocky start, I didn't harbor ill feelings towards you, I got over it, I didn't curse you etc..and Ironically our dialogue was probably better because of it. But others aren't like we are and I really feel that once VTIME was suspended that things like cursing at someone and calling them out of their names, when u're clearly not joking..wouldn't be tolerated. This is beyond the statement Billsboy made for me, it's the aftermath, that has me trippin. I personally think if Brad said that, it would be quite silly on his part, but because of my interractions with him personally, maybe he could have said it, maybe not..but I'm not gonna go off about it..it's just a rumor, we don't know for sure if it's true..only the persons who were in the conversation, knows it for sure. That's Levick and Brad..so why is get bent out of shape over it?

The "I have it on a good authority" types of post about the unflattering inner workings of a basketball program is what private messaging is for. Years of posting on sport message boards has shown me that any such post will be received in a hostile manner. I really would hate to see you leave as a poster. Please just keep in mind that anybody who comes to Billikens.com can see your posts. How do you think Polk or Liddell or Lisch or their parents would feel reading that the coach has no confidence in his team?

Pretty much the same feeling 3 star. I don't know how UB could face these guys the first day of practice if they're all thinking, "hey, you think we suck before we even start." This was a volatile post bound to stir up emotions. I hope it doesn't stir up the wrong ones with the team.

I agree ... shouldn't have been posted. But seriously I doubt it is even true. So I will choose to ignore it. I also doubt this guy is an ex Div. 1 coach who is in the know. ... and like many others have said ... if this was a behind closed door meeting type conversation why would the "trustworthy" friend betray the trust of the person who told him or of Brad ... as it would be obvious that this would be private info. AND ... does anyone really believe Cheryl asks for season predictions in an open meeting. I would assume that would be a private conversation betwwen Brad and Cheryl.

The whole scenario smells like BS ... and you know the old saying if it walks, talks, and looks like BS ... it probably is.

By the way ... my 2nd cousins sisters boyfriends aunts exhusband heard from a very reliable and trustworthy source that during a meeting between Tony LaRussa and Walt Jockety that a trade has been made for the Cards ... Hector Luna for Arod and Jeter. SHHH though the news is not out yet ... I have played softball for 20 years so I am in the know and this is true. But please, please keep it quiet ... I don't want to betray anyone's trust.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Well it was also said that the NL was switching to the DH. I just thought that was just too much info to throw out all at once. Remember though Iggy ... this is strictly confidential. Please don't tell anyone. It will be just between you and me.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

As already mentioned there is a certain message board decorum that should be followed and you violated it. On this message board you should realize that there aren't that many posters so most people develop some bona fides over time with their posts. You only have 33 posts (Billsboy) and no bona fides but make a very bold claim. We don't know you, we don't know who you know or what you done/did. If you truly were a D1 Head Coach that would give you some credibility (if it were basketball) but we don't know that. My advice is patrol the board for a while get a feel for the posters/messages then make posts. You didn't do that so you got backlash.

Footes, you seem to overlook your own jumping to conclusions and Taliban moment of criticizing B-Roy. Memory refresher B-Roy made an innocent comment that you mistook for a sexual innuendo and you went off the deep end. So just stuff your high-and-mighty act your just as guilty.

If you make a very bold statement be prepared for bold reactions.

Here is Roy's post:

"wow! no wonder billiken metz seems brain dead. those 4 hot looking co-eds obviously sucked his brains out. i have new respect for metzy."

Here is your post later in the thread:

"It's bad enough to read disrespectful posts from somebody like Metz:

*edit by steve*

What's even worse is when you read posts from middle-aged married fathers who think this kind of conversation is cool. How would you guys like it if some kid were talking about your daughters this way?

I would hope that true fans of a Catholic university would agree that this sort of conversation is entirely inappropriate."

Roy made a statement you miscontrued it's meaning and over-reacted. Later you criticize others for being Taliban-like yet you are guilty yourself. If your going to make statements denegrating others and the program be ready for some flack. I'm tired of bickering with you over it since you obviously have a false view of yourself.