Ms. Levick's monthly message

Lobo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that SLU is making a big mistake if doesn't include offices and a practice facility, but why do you denigrate the importance of an oncourt arena in building a top basketball program with a real college atmosphere? SLU would be making a big mistake if they settled for a practice facility. How would that solve the scheduling and atmosphere problems that currently hold back the program? Plus, the university is taking a very economically sound approach to the arena by refusing to tap into the tuitition revenue or the endowmnent to make the project happen.

This is the kind of hateful and hurtful "speech" that will ultimately destroy our society. This is a blatant lie. It is a preposterous outrage to suggest that St. Louis University would be responsible for this. I know Dr. Givens very well and I am positive that he would never say or believe such an allegation. I assume you are an African American and I would say that this is the ignorant type of statement--such as attributing actions to blacks who had nothing to do with the alleged actions--that has been a horrible blot on our society. Yet you now do the same thing and think it is just fine. Wake up!!!!!!

I saw that! It was right after they ran that footage of Sasquatch VS The Loch Ness Monster.

I guess you think W's daddy cooked up the formula for crack and then paid to have it shipped into Compton. Also here's a little hint, The Fox show "X-Files" isn't a documentary. PS get you whole head under the foil helmet next time.........

You know the Government did put drugs in the black community. Black people dont own any shipping companies to import the drugs into the country. How do you think the poor black communities get their hands on those drugs. Someone brings those drugs to them.

> why do you denigrate the importance of an oncourt arena in building a top basketball program with a real college atmosphere?

Also from the above-quoted Web site:

"Marquette basketball plays its home games at the Bradley Center located in downtown Milwaukee. One of the premier facilities in the country, the Bradley Center also serves as the home for the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks and the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals.

Situated just minutes from the heart of Marquette’s campus, the Bradley Center has become one of the toughest places to play in college basketball. Consider the following:

• In 2003-04, Marquette basketball set a new single-season total attendance record of 275,241

• Student season-ticket sales reached an all-time high of 4,800 in 2003-04

• The seven largest home crowds in Marquette basketball history have occurred during the last three seasons

• Over the last three seasons, Marquette has drawn nearly 15,000 fans per game and is 45-4 at the Bradley Center."

You just quoted me marketing data provided by Marqutte. They brag about averaging 15,000 fans. 15,000 fans at the Kiel Center still looks empty. The goal is to build a top flight college basketball program. How successful has Marquette been on the court since their fancy new practice facility opened? Remove the Dwayne Wade anomoly, and Marqutte hasn't been very good.

>Somehow I bet the 4,000 seat arena is used for many teams

>besides Men's BB, and might even be said to generate some of

>the mythical revenue that will allegedly come from circuses,

>rodeos, Roller Derby and a stop on the Rolling Stones tour

>that we're certain to get once we build the SLU arena.

You forgot to mention those "large academic events" that are supposed to generate the millions! 10,000 screaming fans ROCKIN' at a geology lecture!

Anyone who mentions revenue (and I doubt that SLU's arena will be able to cover its operating revenue but even straightline depreciation on that kind of money will guarantee that there is no way it will be even close to any real revenue) has no credibility.

Because it a state owned facility I know for a fact that the Mullins Center at UMass has lost money every year just on operating revenue (up to a few million in bad years). Oh, and despite the fact that it is not yet a teenager, the Mullins Center is undergoing a few million dollars worth of upgrading this summer.

No one ever built an arena with their own money to generate revenue (and I doubt they ever will). But at least they don't build them with slave labor anymore, so there has been some progress.

IF a SLU student was involved (big IF given his evidence that a reporter implied it) then somehow the SLU administration is guilty and it is a reflection of SLU's feeling towards Harris Stowe. As if the SLU administration is directly responsible for the actions of some 10,000 students.

I would gladly quote you "marketing data" provided by SLU, but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Savvis seats 22,000, Bradley about 18,500. I haven't been in Bradley for quite a while, so I don't remember, but I'd venture that it doesn't have those same hanging upper terraces at each end, which seat at least 1,000.

One pretty obvious thing that hasn't been raised in the whole "Savvis is too big" assertion is that SLU and/or Savvis management has never had the sense to sell, say, only 12,000 of the available seats. The game atmosphere would be remarkably improved if, for example, endcourt seating was limited to the temporary seats both on the main floor and in the upper bowl.

The whole Blues situation has added a whole bunch of ammunition for those of us who have said all along that the primary driver behind the SLU arena is ego, and that all of the economic arguments put forth for it have always been highly suspect:

1) Even with a professional hockey team to anchor its tenants, the Savvis Center loses money. Probably lots of money.

2) SLU has long claimed "scheduling problems," yet somehow Marquette, with an almost identical shared-arena profile, seems to schedule just fine. (Green Bay notwithstanding.)

3) One of the original claims regarding the new arena was that SLU's scheduling problems would be insurmountable when an NBA team came in. Laurie's exit makes an NBA team much less probable.

4) "Top 50" facilities include a whole lot of stuff that's apparently not included in the initial plans for the new arena.

good things generally happen. Hell, the Billikens set attendance records left and right the year after we simply made the NCAA tournament in 94!

Its easy to draw when your team is winning(or went to the Final 4 the previous year) but I've been to a few games in milwaukee during the 90s and their attendence was nothing special.

If Marquette has a few bad years in a row similar to what the Bills have had they'll be looking at 8-9k per game too.

after this string, whatever credibility and acceptance problack might have had is gone. this conclusion to this string is worse than your stupid defense of obscene and violent rap lyrics. you deserve to be banned.

Nark's initial quote: "...the importance of an on(-campus) arena in building a top basketball program with a real college atmosphere?"

Marquette didn't have the former, but somehow managed to build the latter. (Whether or not they can keep it, I think, is independent of whether they have an on-campus arena.)