Power Forward

slu72

since it appears we ain't getting any help here, why can't we convert DB into a small pf? Isn't he 6'5"? He's strong, good hops, can slash. Sorry, but unless VN and JJ undergo some miracle transformation over the summer, we're sucking wind at this position.

Lets don't get too down in the dumps. I'm willing to bet a tall natty light that we will have another "big" for next season. Even if that is not true this board has been calling for JJ to play,well we're going to get what we asked for.

i hope you are right willie, but when stu writes that brad doesnt see us signing anyone else and is preparing to go into next year with a 10 player roster, there is reason to believe what we read.

now if you are correct, then it again begs the question, why the need for denial and all the covert operations? how does that sell the program? while i trust in brad on the floor and in practice, he sure doesnt help generating off season excitement playing the head of the billiken CIA.

I agree with the CIA stuff but in observing and listening to the coaches I get the feeling that they are confident in what they are doing. I've heard several of them say they would get someone. I would be shocked if we didn't get a trasfer. Is that Price?? I don't know but he sure wouldn't suprise anybody. Maybe we'll get something at next weeks tip off meeting.

Too much pessimism all around. We're going into next year with JJ and Newbourne having a year of experience with Brad's instructions on what to do over the summer. We have a proven center from the word go instead of an injury prone possibility. Luke, DP, and DB have a year under their belts. We have Tommie and Kevin coming in to offset an injury slowed Reggie. One exciting thing to me is that we have dramatically improved our passing game - I think Ian will mix into that as well as any center we've had. I think we'll see a real motion offense next year; nobody will be standing around waiting for Reggie to score. Did we not progress towards the end of the year? The cup is half full.

After last year, it's a little harder to be optimistic. I was a glass half full guy too until we went 9-21 or whatever. The staff knew we had some needs on the frontline and if after hitting the recruiting trail for a year came up with nothing, especially when we now have three scholarships available, THAT would be very disappointing.

I for one think JJ can deliver if he is given a chance. The kid can run if it calls for it and he can take his man one on one with the short jumper. He can rebound also but he needs some minutes to get into the flow. VN - anything out of him more than last year will be a bonus. Sooner or later, SLU is going to have to get some legit PFs one way or the other. I do not know the reason we have struggeled in this area but it has been a problem with several of the coaches not just Brad.

I think JJ will be fine ... but if you think he can run ... you've been watching a different kid than I have. When he runs his feet are so big they get in the way. He is not at all fast ... in fact he is closer to slow.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Another comment about JJ. At the basketball banquet last night when Brad reviewed each player he was very strong in his statement that the success of next season will depend on how JJ comes through.

At another point in his talk he stated that he felt he was guilty of over-hype of the past years team at the beginning of the year. He continued by saying he will not do that again the next year but notwithstanding that, he felt confident in telling the attendees at the banquet he was felt next years team would be very good.

That would depend on the pace we play at. I think we will probably pressure the ball more and get some breaks off of that and long boards ... but I would bet that TL, DB, VN and even LM are finishing breaks long before JJ

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>>[brad said the]success of next season will depend on how JJ comes through<<

If so, then it is unconscionable the small minutes that JJ received in the later part of the season after it became apparent that we were then playing only for next year--he average 6.6 minutes over the last 6 games.