David Palmer

Manni Messy,I believe he was originally from Canada,don`t know how much he played there.When I saw David chose Seton Hall,that`s what i thought about,how Seton Hall beat us out.

Only name I could find. I read where he averaged around 22pts & 12rbs this year. His high school team, Bishop O'Connell in Arlington, VA has been very good and he has been a major player for them the last 3 years. A lot of schools are looking at him, but we are on his list and it does show we have offered him.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1156779

They say Gtown offered him a scholarship already. I think the chances are slim to none that Brad can get him away from a promising Gtown team.

We are probably looking in New Zealand for another project, I have no faith in Brad finding a 4 that will contribute next year.

>>We are probably looking in New Zealand for another project, I have no faith in Brad finding a 4 that will contribute next year.<<

Chances look slim but one can never say. At this point, I'd take an Izik type from Europe or the land down under. In such a case, I would hope we use the both available scholarships on PFs and get a HS PF that we can develop over time (maybe a thin one like JJ who we can develop in the weight room). If Brad wants another shooter to play wing (which is what we heard he was looking for with the other scholarship) my suggestion would be to look down the bench and use Darren Clarke.

I don't think you can expect to sign in the spring signing period a PF and 3-pt. shooting 3 that will help you next year. There are no more sleepers anymore. Everyone knows who is out there.

The trouble with foreign players,and even JC' to some extent, is it usually takes a whole year before they are productive.

Not trying to sound negative; just being pragmatic.

I think we will be Ok with what is coming back. I think there will be a few you might not have counted on step up and help.

Just my thoughts.

i know it was probably unrealistic wishful thinking, but i was really hoping the palmer kid was the one coming. i have read the bio on neal on a couple of websites and sorry if i am not excited. he sounds like ross varner to me.

i hope we dont reach this spring. as anxious as i am to add recruits, signing only for the sake of signing would be wrong. we dont need another project. i think i would just as soon hold them for the upcoming transfer rush (always some kid that wants to move on after the season is over) or wait for the junior class. we only have two to give next year (drejaj and newborne) so why not save one or two of them to balance out the flow of players coming into the system?

Appparently we did offer Neal - the article posted says so. I agree with those who have said do not offer just for a warm body - we can get by next year barring significant injuries. If Brad plays a 3 guard rotation we only need IV, JJ, VN, and BH to carry the load in a pinch. I still think that DC will see playing time next year and at this point we better hope he stays - I will take my chances with him than just some other warm body. Now I know some will say he is not a PF but I do think if given a chance he can help fill the 3pt shooter void - not the total answer but part of it.

No, I listed him on my post as part of the solution for filling our needs for a PF which we probably will not be able to recruit this late. By the way I left off LM in my list - not done intentionally I do believe he is a key to how we handle our play next year given our void in the PF and 3pt shooter area.

I think we should use one of the two scholarships left and sign a juco player. I honestly don't think we will have another good 4 man until at least 2007. I am also kind of curious in why SLU has such a hard time recruiting big men. We recruit and land great guards like DP, TL, KL but for some reason we never get a good post player. Is it because of Brads coaching style or is it something else that I just don't see.

Our coach and all of our assistant coaches were guards. We have to find a way to get Anthony Bonner on the staff as soon as possible. That may go a long way towards recruiting some bigs.

Most good post players are developed not just recruited. Look at some of the successful ones around the area, most take a year or two before they really play a major role. This is why JJ getting minutes this year was important, because the next two years he is our best hope at being our 4 that we really need. I think we need to get another 4 player in the pipeline, but I really don't expect major things from them next year.

Bonner getting on staff is probably not going to happen unless he loweres his salary demands. I heard from somewhere that AB was looking for 100K. That is more than we probably pay our current assistants - not sure if that is correct or not - but a bunch of money for someone with no Div.1 coaching experience. I agree he would be a great addition but I am not sure how you do it.

besides the high price tag for an inexperienced assistant, it is my guess that bonner would have to do a sales job on brad. i was at a meeting once where brad was asked about what he looks for in an assistant coach and he talked about the need to be hungry. i.e. anthony bonner has made a lot of money playing pro ball for the last 10+ seasons and one would wonder if he has the drive to chase youngsters around the country in the summer.

there is no doubt he would be an asset to our practices and developing players though.

My family lives in DC and my dad said that David Neal is a beast. He is playing on a high school team about equivalent to hargrave. He is an athlete, unlike ross varner. He plays above the rim, and when he finishes he finishes with a dunk off two feet rather than a lay up.

Disadvantages seem to be that he walks up the court but thats fine with me if he can put a body on someone on the defensive glass and jump to get the rebound.

If we did get him I think Brad would get him to run up and down the court and I think JJ would pick it up in practice because this kid will push him around, and then dunk on him if JJ is lazy.

With all that said...he has to pick Gtown over us

>Our coach and all of our assistant coaches were guards. We

>have to find a way to get Anthony Bonner on the staff as

>soon as possible. That may go a long way towards recruiting

>some bigs.

I have to agree with the thought that AB would help us land bigs.