Peterson Gets Pink Slip...

Schasz

My very fuzzy recall is that Buzz Peterson may have been on Debbie Yow's

short-list when he was a successful headcoach at AppState in Boone, NC. I belief Peterson played at North Carolina for Dean Smith. Yow is a friend of Dean Smith.....so that was the tie between SLU and Peterson.

Again, a fuzzy recall!

I think Stallings was the guy. Was he at Northwestern? It seems like he didn't like the facilities and demanded change or something along those lines. The rumors seemed to imply he demanded something unreasonable from SLU. Was this during the Romar hire? I don't think I could remember back to Spoonhour's hiring process.

Stallings was at Ill St. I think he was list to look at when Romar was hired, not sure if he had an interview or not. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved to a new school, he has done okay at Vandy, but it is hard to win consistantly there.

Stallings was outspoken about SLU's lack of facilities. Personally I think it was good someone said so at the time. He played at Purdue, assisted there, then assisted under Roy Williams at KU before taking ISU job. Vandy was in the sweet 16 last year. Due to academics vs the rest of their league, it is tough to win consistently at Vandy in hoops like football. They have some very strong smaller sports teams. I think Vandy can compete consistently in hoops....if Stanford and Duke can do it for example...challenging sure, but a lot less so than say, football.

Buzz coached Appy State then went to Tulsa. He was at Tulsa just one year prior to going to Tennessess and I think he took them to the NIT Championship that year.

One other thing, when they hired Romar I think Buzz's named was just mentioned but no interview. Stallings did get interview (he was at Ill State at the time) and made the statement about the facilities.

A big fear with Stallings was he would return to Purdue when Keady retired.