1994 Billikens on Channel 4 Last Night

Did anyone see the end of Steve Savard's Sports Final last night? They did a flashback segment featuring the 1994 team, showing our boys getting together to watch the NCAA selection show. Ah, the good old days.

I believe they said that 52 teams were selected before the Bills found out they were going to play Maryland. I think most of us were pretty confident that we'd be dancing though.

I remember very little of the Maryland game - it was played early on St. Patrick's Day, and a freshman Box and Won and a group of friends skipped class and arrived at Humphrey's at around 7:30 a.m. to get a table by the big screen. By the time the game started, Box was feeling no pain, and the second half was quite a blur.

Nothing like stumbling out onto Laclede Avenue at 12:30 in the afternoon, drunk on green beer.

Memories...like the corners of my mind...

I did attend the MD game and it was played in Wichita. I drove most of the night, as the Billikens played the 1st game and I believe it started like 11-11:30AM. H got food poisoning from something that he ate the night before and he looked and played horrible. We had no one on our team who could guard Joe Smith and he had a big game. It was great to finally see our team in the Big Dance but the game was a disappointment.

I remember watching at a bar and drinking green beer in Columbus, OH. Couldn't believe SLU was finally dancing after 25 years of being a Bills fan. Was so exicted. possibly a little drunk, I left my American Express Card and had to retrieve it the next day, luckily the bartender was honest. I thought we played OK, but Schaz is right Joe Smith killed us and with our undersized front line there was no one to stop him. But then there was that '95 win over Minnesota and a well played game 2 against WF and Tim Duncan. And in '98 the win over Mass, which I believe followed the miracle Valparaiso game on TV, and then the Kentucky Massacre, if JL had only shown up one year earlier. There is nothing in sports as exciting as the Big Dance....please Lord hear my prayer, have the Bills at least reach a sweet 16 before I move on....Hey, my Red Sox won....a man can dream can't he.

I remember the day before that game having a meeting at Radford Army Ammo Plant in SW Virginia. We had spent the night closing down a bar at Virginia Tech. Got up the next morning and busted tail to drive six hours back in four for the game. Made it. Saw it. And was just "thrilled to be there."

That next year, the Bills played Minnesota and Wake at the Baltimore Arena. Paid a scalper $70 for a ticket ten rows behind the basket and saw us valiantly battle Wake after Big Country Reeves and Okie State took out McDyess and Alabama. Was worth every penny .... sitting by the cheerleaders and dance teams were added bonuses ...... big boni .....

Recall a number of Billiken jersey and sweatshirts in the Inner Harbor that day but no one that I'd recognize ....... any board members at that one as well?

3 games down and 2 outs away from elimination.....bang...lightning strikes Sox take 4 in a row from the Spoiled Steinbrenner Kida...the start of a new dynasty....make sure you notice who gets the rings on opening day in Fenway....Yankees Suck....Red Sox Nation rules....

I was there! I flew up with my brother-in-law after we had beaten Minnesota. I sat in the upper deck, right across the aisle from Al Hunt from the Wall Street Journal who was a Wake Forest Alum. That was a great time. I knew Tim Duncan was good, but not this good.

Mrs.Willie and I consider that One of the best weekends of our life. The Friday after the game was glorious weatherwise making the Harbor a great place to hang out. There was a sports bar by the name of Balls which was a great place to watch the Friday games. The only bad memory was that Spoon stiffed a bunch of us in a restraunt after the Minn. game. He totally ignored about 10 of his bigger supporters.

your spoon story doesnt surprise me. i had about 5 occasions that i talked to spoon. 3 of them were at billiken club events, and he was the spoon that everyone sees on tv and radio and everyone loves. the other two were just "bumps". both occasions he couldnt have been ruder without inflicting physical pain. the spoon legend was just a show.

afterwards through the Harbor and walked by a couple .. the guy was wearing a maroon sweatshirt ... obviously a color that I don't readily associate with SLU ... that said "SLU Something or other" on it .... could that have been you???? Small world ....

But you are right, that weather was glorious ... and we almost beat them ... we competed quite well and long enough into the game.

I was shuddering at the thought of willie and sluer wearing maroon slu sweatshirts. i knew it couldnt be true.