Liddell finally had a double digit game

as a Liddell detractor. There are many reasons why Liddell isn't scoring many points and I think 3-Star understands that it's not because he isn't a legitimate player. He's always been unselfish, to a fault in my opinion, and is assuming a key role in running this prep school's offense.

Billikan, I wish you would be more tolerant of opposing views to your own. As long as one is not engaging in scathing attacks on young men, I think it's fair to offer a critical eye toward Brad's performance this year. The diversity of our views are what makes our message board so good.

Come on now, SLU has 20 losses. I still maintain confidence in Brad to turn it around, but he's makes over a half a million dollars a year. With that kind of compensation, he DESERVES the pressure and scrutiny that comes along with it.

If it was so easy, everybody could run a major college program.

>Man, can you be any more negative? Everything you post is a

>complaint about something. I don't understand why you always

>have such a pessimistic view of life! You hate Brad. You rip

>the players. You see the negative in every situation.

All things are a matter of perspective, a point of view. 3Star reports what, for him, is a positive development, yet you see a negative report. Interesting.

p.s. If you knew Tommie's game, you would understand that he thinks like a point guard but is wrapped in the body of a wing. Scoring has never been his focus and those of us thinking ahead to next year have been wondering who is going to score with so many pass-first types in the rotation. Lisch is the only guy 1-3 with a scorer's mentality and he has been injured twice in the last 12 months. This means it would be a huge help to the program if Tommie could change his thinking and look to score more when he gets to SLU. Thus, it's encouraging to know that Tommie had a strong night scoring in prep school.

3Star reports what, for him, is a positive development, yet

you see a negative report.

It's the manner 3-star reports that may have offended Billikan.

Truth be told this was Tommie's 2nd straight game of scoring in double figures as he had 10 points and 4 assists in his team's 61 point blowout of VMI.

p.s. If you knew Tommie's game, you would understand that

he thinks like a point guard but is wrapped in the body of a

wing. Scoring has never been his focus and those of us

thinking ahead to next year have been wondering who is going

to score with so many pass-first types in the rotation.

If you really knew Tommie's game, you would know that he steps up his level of play when challenged by equal competition. This is evidenced by his 16 points vs Laurinburg Prep, a team that went 40-0, with 14 players who signed Division 1 LOI's and 3 additional players who are expected to sign this fall. In Hargrave's matchup with Fork Union Military Academy in the FUMA Championship Game, Tommie went for 19 points, 7 assists, and 3 rebounds. Don't worry about Tommie's offense as it would be asinine for Tommie to look for his offense in the role of a PG when surrounded by so much talent at Hargrave. This team had been defeating teams by 50+ points margin the last couple of outings. Tommie knows what lies ahead at SLU as he took in a game and noted how all the players seemed to look to pass the ball as opposed to attacking the basket. He will have an entirely different role at SLU.

I think 3star is more than fair and always has been. In fact, I think he brings more than his share of good and input to this site. If you can't see that, you haven't been reading long. I agree with a lot of what aj said.

Jalensdad, great pics on the website for Tommie. Hopefully there will be plenty of highlight pics to add in the years to come! Great job!

Jalensdad, would you want liddell.billikens.com as your URL? I can forward it so it works, you don't have to do anything.

Is that allowed to do, little nervous about rules. Because I don't know if as a "booster" I can give anything to Jalensdad who is a coach or what not.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I do go after posters who rip the players and I do not rip players other than I have repeatedly said that our experienced players, particularly the seniors, have not done what was necessary to make this team a winner. I understand that they had injuries and other problems so I give them some slack but that is the reason why we lost 20 games.

You, on the other hand, rip the coach at every opportunity. I have said many times that everyone must take some blame for this dasappointing season, including the coach. But he is a good caoch who has kept his team playing hard in the face of adversity. He is a good man with a family who cares about our team and he is beaten up by the losing. he has demonstrated an ability to change and he has changes styles and tempos to try to jump start this team.

Your reaction has been to encourage players not to atend SLU, not to play for Brad and look for other programs that will play your prefered "uptempo" style. If I had the time and the inclination I could go back to your historic posts and demonstrate how negative you have been about the team and the program. I am a diehard fan so maybe I co not understand how it goes in the world but I do not understand your constant negativity concerning the Bills and I wonder why you consider yourself one of the Billiken faithful when you are so negative.

I have to agree with 3star here some. I admit his tone has been more negative this year than in past. But I can't really blame him. If he were a new poster doing this, I would side with you more Billikan.

3star has more than built up his credibility as a good poster. He isn't some troll or person out to hurt the program. He is knowledgible about Basketball and I respect his opinion.

Just my thoughts,

Steve

I've been bashed for looking at Billikens in less than positive lights.

Now I do believe 3-Star stated that Brad's credibility is at stake when he promises recruits that he'll play uptempo and then at the first sign of adversity, he reverts back to a slow, grinding style. I don't see that as a poster who is steering players away from SLU. I see that as a concerned fan, who is worried about good, athletic local players dismissing Brad and 'his' promises in the future.

and that is what 3 star and billikan both are, good fans.

i dont recall 3 star ever encouraging players not to attend slu. i know this year he expressed impatience with coach soderberg not running, a lot of posters did. but looking back, anyone can see in hindsight, that coach soderberg was doing what he felt he had to do to stay competitive. and with reggie being slowed by his season long injury that was definitely downplayed, and frericks playing injured for two months, who can blame coach for what he did. the fact is, he kept the billikens in games when the veterans were at far less than full speed and the youngsters werent ready to contribute.

coach soderberg has gradually brought the youngsters roles around and personally, i feel a lot better about the team than i did 2 months ago.

i dont blame billikan either. i admire the loyalty he continuously shows to the program and the players. i try to do the same and ashamedly fall off the wagon occasionly myself. it is easy to do when we go through such a season.

i had a long conversation this morning with a gentlemen that told me he has been going to billiken games for over 40 years. he described the roller coaster ride of being a billiken fan. of course i couldnt help but think of tsuegnekillib's "it is hard to be a billiken fan". but a fan like billikan consistently supports the team.

in most instances, it has been a difficult season. but in some ways, there is a lot to look forward to as well. these days, i consistently look back to 1992. this was when grawer was in his last season and of course we lost 23 games that season as well. only won 5. and while it was the beginning of the claggett and highmark era which we all fondly remember, there wasnt much positive about that season. even claggett and highmark didnt stand out all that much.

it was a season where players walked off the floor in the middle of games. starting players transferred to division II teams to get away as quickly as possible. our perceived next great center, quit the team and headed to arizona. our best freshmen tore up his knee never to play again. after grawer got fired, our most highly acclaimed freshmen left the program with his dad, who was grawers assistant and transferred to our worst enemy.

we lost games that year to the likes of montana state, north carolina a&t, santa clara, and northern iowa. it was the initial season of the Great Midwest Conference, and we didnt win a single conference game. personally, i dont know how anyone could have been positive about that.

two years later with a 6'2" power forward, donnie dobbs, and H waldman at the point along with claggett and highmark and the center position being manned by offensively challenged 6'5" david robinson, the billikens were in the ncaa tourney. going 23-6.

the point is, if we could come out of that season, and turn it around, compared with this team with a much more encouraging group of freshmen, sophomores and incoming recruits, i see very bright skys ahead. keep the faith. the roller coaster is still running.

Statline vs Laurinburg: 16 points, 7 rebounds, & 7assists

Despite putting together the above solid statline, I was kind of caught off-guard by the statement of Bob Gibbons of Rivals.com. Mr Gibbons covered the game and perhaps unknowingly singled out Liddell for the loss with the statement,"Tommie Liddell(SLU) had 16 points, but missed some key baskets at crunch time". Now bear in mind that Tommie's roommate AD Vassallo was named Hargrave's game MVP. AD scored 19 points but was only 6-15 from the field. Sam Young the team's likely MVP for the season scored 19 points, but he also struggled from the field by shooting 6-16 fgs. No mention of these two missing key baskets.

As is his nature, Tommie has come on strong during the latter part of the year. Liddell has scored double figures in his last 3 games and just missed a 4th by scoring 9 against UNC's JV squad. Tommie is averaging 12ppg, 6rpg, & 4.2apg in his last 4 outings.

Hargrave rebounded quite nicely by pounding Louisburg JC by the score of 107-64. Tommie had a nice floor game by scoring 13 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists. Hargrave improves to 26-1.

A Billiken fan calling out one of our most knowledgeable Billiken fans (3Star) is nothing more than laughable. I suppose that we are all to sugar coat a piss poor 20+ losing season if we were under the same mental framework as the former Billiken fan is. Sorry some of us while still good fans cannot bring ourselves to do that. There are some of us who take a more critical approach in evaluating the team, and it does not make those fans any better or worse than the sugar coaters. After seeing the team play I was pleased with how the Frosh players look and I do see glimmers of hope; however, that is unfulfilled hope until this group can show us prgress towards what should be EVERY seasons goal...a Big Dance appearance. You'll have to excuse this good Billiken fan if I wait to see what next year brings before I decide to place this group of Frosh on the same pedestal as a team that did fulfill their promise.

Not this time perhaps but Recently 3star has been as positive about the Bills of late as NYBill has been about the US mission in IRAQ. He's questioned Brad's intellegence, recruiting, game management, sanity, and integrity. All of that is his right as a bills fan and as a poster here. It dosen't mean we should all agree with him or descend into his pit of despair. I, for one, got fed up with him and stopped reading most of his posts for a while.

As I began with though, I didn't see the Liddell post above as slamming Tommie. Remove the word "finally" from the title and read it again.