Bernie Bits

StLouBlue

I heard Lorenzo Gordon interviewed on KMOX a couple of days ago and he said that his first choice was to come to SLU, but his grades weren't good enough. Today I read Bernie's Bit about him and it makes it sound like SLU was the bad guy. I would guess Brad would have liked to have had Gordon but because of the grade issue, and being a JUCO, it just couldn't happen. I hope if we have plans of getting Muse in the future our coaches are helping him with his class selection to make sure he can get into SLU from his JUCO.

SLU is really treated unfairly from the local media in this respect, and Bernie is one of the worst offenders. Nearly every local kid that doesn't go to Mizzou, Illinois, or a perennial top 25 program would like to play for SLU. There are probably a half-dozen or so local kids from the area each year who fall into this category and don't end up at SLU. Typically, one or two of these kids ends up having a fabulous college career. With hindsight being 20/20, the local media will inevitably criticize SLU for not signing those kids. The reality, however, is that SLU has a limited number of scholarships and can't sign every local player who might have great success in college. I would bet very good money that Bernie couldn't tell you the status of Gordon's eligibility out of high school, the number of scholarships SLU had available that recruiting year, and the number of players SLU had returning at that position on its roster. I would wager even bigger money that Bernie couldn't tell you Gordon's strengths and weaknesses and how they translate into Brad's system.

Bernie follows and knows PRO sports only. I know B, and he is a friend...but I only take his comments on pro sports seriously....i.e....Cards for example...he is IN the locker room, spends the time...etc...

I would suggest sending him an e-mail at [email protected], and have a good title to your e-mail to catch his eye...and he will read it...like "Lorenzo Gordon's grades"....for example. He isn't perfect and is wrong plenty of times, so call him out on it. I do encourage the e-mail(s) and let him know.

He throws a lot of stuff in his bits articles....that obviously do not have room for depth.

Bernie is a bright guy, and fair. He is stubborn too. He does get good info most of the time before writing anything. The comment was mostly to spark conversation about SLU hoops which can't hurt anybody. He is of the opinion that SLU can and should be a national hoops player. To be honest his focus is pro sports, with Mizzou being the exception. He doesn't follow local high sports other than big stories, same with college. He doesn't have time to do it.

The comment my guess was to highlight Gordon's success and nothing more. Bernie is an unabashed friend of Floyd Irons. ....I personally think any SLU hoops pub is good...and am not defensive about it. Let's face it, SLU hoops program could use any noise it can get.

Like I said before...just e-mail him and talk to him...he should respond to you. He gets a gazillion e-mails, so it may take a try or two...give him a chance....I would first find out for fact about the insufficient credit hours to back your argument...and have all the facts you can...and he will admit if he is wrong. ....so, if you are asking me if he is smart enough....the answer is yes....but why don't you go to him, I don't speak for him.......takes 2 minutes of your time. He welcomes any intelligent discussion.

What I annually hear from most of the sports media and a lot of the high school fans is (in effect).....

"SLU should sign all of these local players that were not even looked at, or considered, by Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Notre Dame, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, DePaul, etc., etc., and then schedule and beat those same teams". Sure, no problem!

I like to read BM also and understand that his expertise is the pro sports scene...however, I don't know if I would agree that ANY pub is good for SLU hoops especially if the pub is at best misinformed pub which in that case I'd opt for no pub at all.

I wish I could remember which night I heard the interview, but it was just last week. I was switching stations and heard they were going to interview Gordon, so I stayed through the commercials to here the interview. It was a good interview I thought from SLU standpoint in that Gordon twice stated he wanted to come to SLU but his grades were the reason he didn't. Reading between the lines it sounded like SLU did recruit him but probably had to back off when they realized he wasn't going to make it in grade wise.

I thought it was suprising that the interview was on KMOX and just a couple of days later Gordon shows up in the Bits. I would have thought Bernie would have heard the interview and taken a different approach to the Bit. Something along the lines of:

If SLU wants to have a bigtime program it has to find a way academically to get talented local players on campus. Gordon is an example, wanted to come to SLU but couldn't get in. If Gordon was on this team SLU would maybe be over 500 and a postseason bid possible. Instead Gordon is leading a big turn around at Ill St and they will probably be in the postseason.

"If some of the talented local players want to get on the SLU campus, they have two options: (1) take care of their academic business while still in high school and go directly into SLU, or (2) go to a juco, have an understanding of what you have to do academically to get into SLU, and then complete those required juco courses at a grade level that is acceptable to SLU".

The academic game plan is pretty basic.....just have an understanding of what's required and have the determination to get it done.

It was not my experience that he welcomes intelligent discussion. I think his preference is to slam SLU. Unfortunately, he has a track record of doing so. He may be a bright guy, but he doesn't hide his dislike of SLU very well. That is just my opinion. It may well be wrong.

I am not wrong. He can dish it out, but boy oh boy he CANNOT take it. I guess when you are a sports writer you can slam the local schools and then feign offense when a reader objects. Hmmmmm....

All I can do is is speak from my own personal experience. As I said B is a friend of mine, but I disagree and agree with him when warranted and consider myself pretty objective.(one on the negative side...he is friends with Floyd, and first and foremost sees the positives he brings to the city, and AA commmunity, etc...overlooking plenty) If you make a point in a positive way, you can talk with him about most any topic. I think it is fair to say that he gets frustrated with SLU fans who are always "defending" the program in a "Defensive" way. If you come to him in defensive way about SLU, you probably won't get the response you want. He is big picture guy, and fair to say sensitive enough guy, where he doesn't have the patience for defenseive people or bashers, etc... And as I said, he isn't always right or wrong about anything. I have known him a long time now, and he gets it wrong or has bad days etc...too. He is however a friend of mine, and if you knew me at all...well...he would have to be a good guy to be one of mine. At least he got back to you, not surprised by that. That's a start for ya. He gets hundreds and hundreds of them a day, every day.

No way we could know you Courtside as you have chosen not to do a profile...so you are a mystery??? SLU is an extremely easy target, and anyone can pile on when a school is having a losing dismal season. Some of the things BM has written since he was called out rightfully by Davidnark on his Pressbox website have just shown that he can be a jerk when he chooses to be.

I think he meant to say Bernie is a big guy in a picture.

Bernie has proven to be classless in this instance ... he was questioned and he struck back like a 6 year old. That may be ok for some but Bernie is a columnist and needs to conduct himself proffessionally. He hasn't ... friend or not this one is pretty clear. Bernie made an ass out of himself

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I have a six year old. He doesn't get nasty though he does adeptly change the subject when pressed on an issue.

Bernie is an ass and he is pissed off at Billiken fans and he doesn't know a heck of a lot about college basketball. I'm willing to leave it at that......

(edited to point out that Bernie is an ass not my son)

"I have a six year old. He doesn't get nasty though he does adeptly change the subject when pressed on an issue. He is an ass and he is pissed off at Billiken fans and he doesn't know a heck of a lot about college basketball. I'm willing to leave it at that......"

Jeez Rich, give the guy a break...he's only six.