Roy's attitude

dewey33

Roy....what's up?

You used to have such a positive attitude on here!

Maybe its because of your feuds with a few people on here, but your pessimism has really influenced what you choose to see.

What is telling us that Ian is becoming a player is what the opposing coaches do....

Iowa's shot blocker fouled out against him...

Cincinnati's Eric Hicks did nothing against him...

Charlotte double teamed him...

Southern Miss took out their leading scorer because he couldn't guard him...

TCU's big guy scored at will on everyone BUT Ian...

Ian is a key to our improvement...him getting minutes is one of the reasons we are playing better!

Roy hasn't liked a Billiken center since Donnie Dobbs. This is going back a ways but I don't think he was thrilled with Jamal Johnson. He thought well of Ryan Leuktefeld (sp?)for no reason I can fathom. Heinrich was a stiff. Baniak a load of wasted talent. He gave Kenny Brown mild approval. Tom had to bleed to please Roy. Ian's a eurosofty. Our center's have been getting progressively better over time but Roy's expectations are rising at a higher rate. For a guy who thought Drew Deiner was a terrific player this is rather silly but Roy isn't happy without something to bi**h about. I think his disgust with Billiken centers borders on psychosis.

I can remember watching Chris Heirich playing terrific defense for an entire game and finishing in single digits scoring and rebounds. I can remember Romar on the post game show singing Chris's praises and then Roy slamming him on the board after the game. Neither Chris nor Ian are NBA quality centers. Both are servicable at this level. I predict Ian will be terrific in the next two and a half years. I also predict he will disappoint Roy.

The thing is that Roy is realistic. Ian will be nothing more than a big man clogging the lane and getting some rebounds and putting a hand in a shooters face. He has no mobility, no real offensive game and he's not a shotblocker or good finisher, he will not start for most D-1 teams or even get off their bench. This program needs to step up with their recruiting of big mem cuz it seems like all they do is bring in about 5 guards a year

You need to look around D1 basketball if you think Ian would not start for many D1 teams. Ian was not suppossed to be the starter until next year. Tom was suppossed to start this year ... Tom can't. Ian has stepped in and is playing like a sophmore center some good things some bad. I have heard Rebounds just fall into his hands ... that is ridiculous ... he is averaging 8 rb's a game in the last 6 games. That would put him near the top of rebounders in CUSA, any one who can't acknowledge that he has become a decent rebounder is just being biased ... not great decent ... and I am sure he will be better next year. He needs a couple of signature offensive moves ... and to be more aggressive ... I think we can all agree on that. We have to remember he is a sophmore and is starting earlier than expected due to unforseen injuries.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Signature moves?

If I remember right, he scored against Southern Miss with a right handed jump hook, a left handed jump hook and a dunk with someone hanging on him.

Maybe a wisconsin poster can comment....but a guy of IV size and skills always has thrived in the Bennett/Soderberg system. Clog the middle, screen, rebound, nail short jumpers....

Its not an accident that "rebounds fall into his hands"...that usually happens to the guy with inside position.

I'm with you here, dewey, but Ian didn't exactly follow up the Southern Miss game with much in the way of an offensive arsenal. He did much of the same that we have seen this year, indecisive under the boards, getting tied up and stuffed. He will improve (he must improve) and the Bills will get better outside looks as a result.

The Bills are averaging 4.25 3's per game. We have won 2 games with less than 4 3's...Tulane 3, S Miss 4. We have lost games with hitting 6 or more 3's....Dayton, Gonzaga, and Oakland. However, in three of our 5 wins, we have 7 or more threes...Troy and TCU 7, Oakland 8.

Do we hit threes and then open up the middle more, or do we play better in the middle so that we can get better looks outside? It seems the latter is the case, as we were just HORRID in the paint early in the year...remember all the missed shots inside? We are converting more of the paint shots, and the 3's are coming in bunches.

One thing more, how about the fast breakaway bucket by Danny Brown last nite. I think a great fast break basket is so exciting, more than a dunk (maybe that is because we rarely get fast break baskets at SLU games.

mhg

Roy is Roy. Once he has established expectations for a player, that kid is going to get ridden like a pony when he fails to meet them. And I ride the coach when I think he's performed below my expectations. And bonwich rides the athletic department when they perform below his expectations. And other posters see rays of sunshine even when we're struggling mightily on offense. We've all got our foibles.

But you're always going to draw heat when you praise some players of limited ability and criticize others for limited ability because the criticism appears arbitrary. Heinrich gets praised for a game in which he pulls down 9 boards and plays good defense but Ian doesn't get credit for having a good game when he pulls down 9 boards and plays good defense. It doesn't bother me but obviously Roy's wide range of expectations for players drives some posters crazy.

The key is a right handed jump hook ... he has to develop them to where he can hit them consistently. You are not trying to suggest Ian has shown good offensive skills are you? I have been one of the biggest Ian boosters on the board ... but he still needs a lot of work on the offensive end ... he is indecisive and slow. developing a move or two that he can do consistently without thinking will help him tremendously

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

For the season, SLU's perimeter players are shooting only 29% from outside the 3pt line: 73 for 252.

At the same time, SLU's six bigs (IO,IV,VN,JJ,TF,BH) are shooting 47% from inside the 3pt line: 162 for 348.

So who do you guard first? I would smother SLU's post players and hope SLU's perimeter players shoot their average or less.

btw, if DP and IV are going to be 30+ minutes per game players in our future they need to improve their free throw shooting as both are shooting only 56% (which is hard to understand as both players are good shooters!).

Ian has more offensive moves than any center I've seen here yet, and I go back to the late 60's. He has a nice touch on his shot facing the basket, and a REAL hook shot. He's still learning the American game. Skills he has. Experience he's getting. He's a good passer. Pretty soon, they'll start clearing out for him; when the double team comes, he'll hit the open man or the cutter. He's 19, btw.

I was thinking the same thing last night after some rebounds did just fall into his hands, he had his man boxed out if the guy went for the ball it would have been a foul. On the other hand late in the game we took on off the rim as well, a key rebound. While he may not end up being a dominant center, his game at Hattiesburg reminded me of Greg Harris' somphomre game at Cinci when it became clear he would be an inside presence. No Ian is no maxiel, but he has both a left and right hand, is a sound passer, and with players like Lisch, Liddel, DB, DP around he will be a nice target inside. IF they double him he should be able to pass out of it. I will give you that he brings the ball down to gather himself too much with time that should change.

when did i ever praise chris heinrich?

as i stated before, i just believe that the raving on ian is premature. i am not saying he will never be a player, but he is far far far from being effective. the best game he ever had was vs southern miss who basically plays 5 guards. in that game he had what, 13 points, 8 rebounds and 1 block. i want a big man that AVERAGES that. not their best game. average means just that. average. not "great" or "good". great games for bigs are maxielle like 20 points and 15 rebounds with 4 blocks. and that is from a guy who is lucky to be 6'6". vouyoukas is nearly 7 foot tall.

the reason i defend the likes of drejaj and a drew deiner but ride a vouyoukas is imo the likes of drejaj and diener are overachieving. they are giving 100% and making something out of nothing. that said, i dont think i ever used the word, "great" when describing those players either. but vouyoukas really irked me when basically did nothing to refine his body and become all he could be before this season. we have been told he lost 20 lbs or so, to be truthful, i dont know where. and it doesnt appear he is ready to win the school bench press title either.

skip posted that many schools dont have a player even as good as ian. i tend to disagree. they may not have one with the physical dimenisions in fact, it bothers me that the likes of oral roberts and hawaii came to town and had far better talent on the inside than we did. shouldnt the higher profile team have the ability to get better talent?

as to nick wondering where i am? i know sometimes it appears i live on this board, but i do have other things to do. my daughter pitches on sundays (she is a very good fast pitch softball player for her age) and i play basketball on sunday evenings. thus, i never made it back to the board until this morning.

second, it it very obvious the rest of you believe we have bill walton already. so not sure what the point of me saying he isnt yet.