Looks Like The JUCO Gravy Train @ Barton ....

Taj79

I think that in most cases it is only the hours, not the grades, that transfer from school to school. I didn't have any trouble getting a science course transferring from Meramec to SLU a year and a half ago, but then I filled out some paperwork with SLU before I took the class and they approved it and showed me where it would fill in with my required courses.

MEET THE TEAM | NEWS | SCHEDULES•RESULTS | ARCHIVES

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

Men's Basketball Signs Ricky Clemons to National Letter of Intent

Junior College Standout Point Guard Will Attend the University of Missouri

April 11, 2002

Columbia, Mo. - Fresh off the school's exciting run to the Elite Eight in the 2002 NCAA Tournament, University of Missouri Head Coach Quin Snyder has announced that junior college point guard Ricky Clemons has signed a national letter of intent to attend and play at Mizzou.

Clemons, a 5-foot-11, 170-pound native of Raleigh, N.C., emerged as one of the nation's top point guards as a sophomore this past season with the College of Southern Idaho. He led the team in scoring (18.2 ppg) and assists (7.5 apg) and helped guide Coach Guy Beach's squad to a sterling 26-6 record and 2nd-place finish in the Scenic West Athletic Conference.

A 1st-team All-SWAC performer, Clemons ranked 11th in the NJCAA Division I ranks in assists, and 16th in steals (3.2 spg). He shot 44.9% from the floor, 39.5% from 3-pt. range and a solid 81.0% from the free throw line in 32 games.

Clemons was one of the JUCO ranks' most dangerous scorers, as he tallied a school-record 51 points at Utah Valley State on Jan. 5th. He had a single-game high of 17 assists this season (Nov. 29 vs. Seattle). As a freshman at CSI, Clemons played in 33 games, and was a key contributor off the bench on a squad that went 29-4. He averaged 7.5 points and 3.9 assists as a freshman.

Clemons attended prep school at Bonner Academy in Raleigh, where he led the nation in scoring as a senior, at better than 35 points per game.

"I'm very pleased to have such a talented young man join our program," said Snyder. "Ricky is a player who can impact a game in many ways, be it scoring, passing or defensively. He has the makings of a great floor leader who can dictate the flow of a game and create opportunities for himself as well as his teammates," Snyder said.

"I'm also happy to build on our relationship with Coach Beach, who is doing an outstanding job," said Snyder. "The College of Southern Idaho is the winningest junior college program in the country, and Coach Beach is undoubtedly continuing their tradition of high-caliber basketball," he said.

Clemons chose Missouri over North Carolina State, Louisville, South Carolina, and Gonzaga, among others.

that Ricky Clemons committed to Mizzou in the spring. I do remember Mizzou saying that they weren't worried about Clemons' eligibility at the time. There's no doubt he was committed to Mizzou before he went to Barton CC. It looks shady and Mizzou might have done some shady dealings, but I doubt it ever surfaces...

He committed to SLU but now is at New Mexico St because he did not qualify. Looks like he is averaging 8 points per game so far.

I have the feeling, however, if Cheesy and the other detectives at MU had reviewed his transcript on SLU's behalf he'd be playing for the Billikens right now.

Ok, I'm more inclined to believe they were directly involved in the academic shenanigans then because it looks like they may have placed Clemons in Barton. Hey, I'm way beyond defending the basketball program at MU. Let the truth ring out, as far as I'm concerned. The truth will set you free. I have no idea why Snyder still has a job anyway.

probable conversation:

slu: randy, you didnt pass even ONE class! my gosh, how is that possible?

randy: oh man, those classes are so early in the morning. i dont know. i will try harder next year man.

slu: well not at slu you wont. we have standards around here. you are out. finished. caput.

randy: oh man, where can i go that i can play ball and things are a little easier.

slu: i dont know of any school that would take you. (fumbling through papers) wait. here, missouri just let in a kid that didnt even graduate from high school and he got 24 credit hours in 6 weeks from some place in kansas......barton something or other. i'll make a call and see if they accept mentally incapables like yourself.

randy: man, thanks. i really appreciate it. see if they will set the times up when the sun gets warm. at the earliest lunch.

slu: just dont come back around here again.

why is slu referring him away anything like accepting bogus credits? we got rid of him. not accepted him.

and as to alexander, the fact he isnt at slu should give you a clue it isnt a walk in the park to qualify the transcripts of transfers. so far you have made our case that slu doesnt accept nonsense on transfers to slu.

clemons was recruited out of the idaho juco. he did not take the barton classes until the summer. he was the property of mi$$ouri by the time he had his mensa classes at barton.

' "Prior to the summer of 2002, a member of the University of Missouri Men's basketball coaching staff contacted the defendant, Ryan Wolf, on behalf of Enique 'Ricky' Clemons. The defendant was advised by the representative of the University of Missouri that Mr. Clemons had signed a letter of intent to play" at Missouri but needed more credit to be eligible. Wolf, it added, "facilitated the admission and enrollment of Mr. Clemons to BCCC during the summer of 2002."

' In a deposition for Clemons' prosecution on the assault charge, former Mizzou assistant coach Lane Odom said he had worked with Wolf to enroll Clemons in courses that would add up to "what he would need to graduate." (italics added)

'Clemons needed 24 hours, 12 of which he took at Barton and the others of which he took through correspondence courses with BYU (nine hours) and by Internet from Adams State College in Colorado.'

I believe the correct legal term is "unindicted co-conspirator."

What if Wolf's Barton CC matter goes to trial? The list of potential witnesses is interesting.....former juco players, former juco assistant coaches, juco administrators, all taking an oath before singing their songs. Then picture D1 assistant coaches and D1 head coaches, and former D1 assistant coaches swearing on a bible and singing their songs. It could get very interesting for a whole bunch of people, who currently make a lot of money!.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolf jump up and offer a guilty plea in exchange for a minimum sentence.

Of course, perhaps "somebody" will pay Wolf a significant sum to avoid the full blown trial and to do a few years in prison.

MUTGR how easy is the federal government on plea bargaining?

Since Coach Romar brought Pulley to SLU perhaps he suggested Barton to Pulley. Romar signed with Washington on April 3, 2002 but perhaps he stayed in contact with Pulley after exams ended and grades were published in mid-May. Who really knows? Maybe Pulley called Romar looking for guidance? Maybe an assistant who Soderberg hired in April or May of 2002 suggested Barton. Again, only a few really know.

Hopefully, it will come out if Wolf goes to trial!

I am an attorney, but I do not typically do criminal defense work (although I am working on a case right now for an indigent defendant I was appointed to represent), so I really can't give you a good answer about the chances of reaching a plea bargin in this case.

I would like to read the indictment to see exactly what the charges are and what the issues are, but I agree with you, there could be some interesting witnesses and some interesting testimony.

One thing this whole sordid affair has made me realize is how slimey so much of college basketball is.

Lefty, I heard the entire 2 hours Slaten and Clairborne talked about this issue - Clairborne never mentioned SLU and everytime he responded to Slaten's comments he only talked about MU even when they had the Federal attorney from KC as a guest. Clairborne simply chose not to argue with Slaten - his approach worked because finally Slaten stopped with the SLU comments. He did raise it again during his rant but that was predeveloped prior to the previous discussions. SLU can not have any involvement - Pulley flunked out -21 hours and needed 24 if memory serves me and ended up with 70 total when he transfered to MU. Once he left SLU we were out of the picture unless they can show we put him at Barton so he could requalify to return and Brad clearly said that there was no way Pulley would return to SLU. I am not sure MU has a problem unless they can show that they did something like paying Wolf or promising him a job or whatever to make sure that Clemons qualified.