What is Brad doing wrong

kshoe

to make us such a terrible team at the beginning of everey season? Two years ago we cost ourselves an NCAA bid by losing those first two games. Last year we lost to EA Sports and barely beat Eastern Kentucky. This year its UMSL and now this embarassment.

there is something seriously wrong with coaches method of preperation for this to happen 3 years in a row. The positive is his teams always get better but if you have already cost yourself any reasonable shot at the real postseason tourney what is the point?

Coach has a lot of figuring out to do in the next two days. Anything less than 2-1 would be a disaster.

Brad's early emphasis is on defense. It appears that worked as APU had what.....44 or so points in regulation time?

What can't be explain is SLU's poor shooting at the offensive end. They shot something like 67% FTs, 20+% from the field and less than 20% from the 3pt line. (I haven't seen the official stats yet.) The Bills spents hours each week in shooting drills. How does one explain tonight's poor shooting?

Coach has lost focus. He thinks his new guys are ready and they're good but they're not that good to win without the help of your veteren players. I think he started the game wrong, I think he did too much subbing back and forth, it seemed as if he had no game plan. He should know that they were gonna trap Reg, he wasn't prepared for them to trap most of his guards. They trapped Reg and Drejaj like clock work.

The guys seemed like they never had a chance to warm up, they're shots were off and they're judgement was off too. I don't know...It's crazy, I talked to Reg and he doesn't know what coach is thinking either, he's just doing as told. I hope on Sunday they play a lot better and play as a team.

Thank you! I like when you call it as it is or how you see it. I always thought you saw things more through rose colored sunglasses, for obvious regions. What you just posted is objective criticism and I think you should keep it up!

How is Reg feeling? Should he have played in this game? Someone posted he played hurt. Was that the case?

What do you expect???? We have a very strong minded defensive coach. What he needs is a "Mike Martz" offensive coach and turn that portion of the game over Too him. He is Too worried about the defensive side of the game. Or think about this - maybe he just dosn't know how Too react defensively Too other coaches offensive coaching - his defense is Too predctable, he doesn't change (zone????). You need Too score points Too win.

so it goes

the billikens also got outrebounded. imo, the weakness of vouyoukas, frericks and ohannon is the difference. fine, the guards stink it up and shoot horribly. get a few more offense rebounds for put backs and we win going away. but look at the stats, drejaj and bryant were our top rebounders. this team will go as far as our inside will take us. if our inside had some scoring power, it opens things up on the outside for our top scoring threats. if our outside is not hitting and our inside is dominating the boards (hell holding their own on the boards) they get the easy put backs.

i totally agree with tseugnekillib about our defense though. cant argue with the scoreboard on that. and we know bryant, newborne and polk wont shoot like that all the time. we just need to get some more out of our big guys.

if newborne is playing wing, i agree with your expectations, but as the power forward, i dont see him as any more than a fill in type. if vashun has to play power forward for the majority of minutes, imo we are in trouble.

Everyone, this is Dwayne's first game at DI level. It will take him ten games or so to get up to speed, and about the same for Newborne. I am licking my chops to see Newborne's stat sheet once he gets a feel for how to attack.

This game shows that Reggie will always be able to fill a stats sheet, so I'm not concerned about him disappearing for games. It is critical for two other people to step up and push double digits for scoring, and for a big guy to lead the team in rebounds. If Reggie is our only consistent scorer, it will be a LONG season. Newborne with a goose egg, and Drejag with few points killed us here.

We ALWAYS need the defense because we are still weak on rebounds. Defense is effort, while offense is partly luck, so Brad has to nail the defense effort every game. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded about the atheletic talent we have vs. other teams. Reggie leading the team in rebounds shows where his heart and effort level was in this game(as usual.) Kudos to Reggie, and hopefully the wins start coming fast!

>the billikens also got outrebounded. imo, the weakness of

>vouyoukas, frericks and ohannon is the difference. fine,

>the guards stink it up and shoot horribly. get a few more

>offense rebounds for put backs and we win going away. but

>look at the stats, drejaj and bryant were our top

>rebounders.

If everyone is running up & down the court jacking up 3's the probability that the ball if it does not go in will arc away from the center below the basket. Thus why Drejaj & Bryant were the top rebounders. If Tom or Ian only touches the ball 4 times in a game what do you expect. Why did Izik start the game at center? To run the court. If this is what Brad wants to do this early in the season then he might as well leave Tom & Ian back in St Louis. This may be the year of transition but Lisch & Lindell are not here yet so we had better mix some new with the old. Tom & Ian are the centers. The guards have got to use them or this game will be repeated many times before this year is over! Tom didn't come to SLU to end his career like this!!

you make a great point. i have been having a hard time all fall dealing with the shrinking role of tom frericks. i find it hard to believe this bull that was our rock in the middle last year, showed unbelievable courage down the stretch playing injured, has regressed to the point he isnt even a half a game player. we know from watching tom frericks last year, he is a tough player that is more than willing to fill the role that this team needs. tough defense, rebounds, putbacks are tom frericks game and exactly what this team needs. even if coach soderberg wants to convert to a running game, someone has to get the rebounds to get that started. playing 5 guards (until izik shows otherwise, he plays like a guard and newborne has also proven he is better on the wing than inside) isnt going to generate the rebounds and basket defense that we need.

i agree, the first step to fixing the car is to put tom frericks back in the game for 30+ minutes a game. and part of those minutes have to be at the front end of the game to send a message to the opposition that the billikens can hold their own in the middle. if there is one inside guy we got that is proven, imo it is frericks. izik and ian may have more offensive potential, but coach soderberg cant lose sight of his own mandate about defense and rebounding. if ian and izik want the minutes as well, let them do the dirty work of playing defense and rebounding first.

Roy, the Bulls did the same thing during the Jordan years while Cartwright was the center. Unless someone had a bunny, every play had passing rotation focused on getting Cartwight a short jumper in the paint, so Chicago established an inside game and got Cartwight focused. I'm hoping Brad establishes a trioka offense, where Polk distributes and establishes the inside game FIRST. Pound the ball inside on rotation, and get Tom storming early. This will flex the defense so they aren't all over Reggie, then he gets hot, and that opens the weakside for Newborne to pick up the garbage rebounds and putbacks.

The key is getting the center established on offense in the halfcourt game early, allowing the outside offense to come on later. This type of strategy will focus less on Reggie, which in turn lets him score more while lessening his load. It is strange, but by focusing less on establishing Reggie in lesser games, he will score more. In the tough conference games, Reggie will need to become a major focus of the offense, as we want to hang our hat on him a lot more.

Coach stated earlier this week that he is concerned about the lofty expectations for the team in the infant stages of the season. He fully expects this team to hit it's stride at the beginning of the conference schedule. However, at this time he is not even close to being happy with the way this team is performing at the defensive end and the mental approach they have toward practices and preparation.

i disagree thicks. the key is activity. if the center is moving and flashing to the open spots of a zone, then it forces the zone to adjust or else give him easy 7 footers. if the zone does react to the center movement, it leaves backdoors more so than a man-to-man. somewhere along the line, someone decided a center just stands on the block and posts up. i hate that. a center should be constant movement trying to create space maybe not for himself as much as for his teamates and then reacting to shot attempts. a zone that is so tight it seals off a center vs the billikens is a soderberg dream because that means open UNCONTESTED shots for reggie, vashun and dwayne. a zone which i am guess the billikens saw last night which probably was more of a match up spread zone, will have seams that tom frericks can flash to and get the ball that will result in a easy short shot or if the defense recovers, flip off passes to the cutting teamates.

"there is something seriously wrong with coaches method of preperation for this to happen 3 years in a row."

Yes, there is. Coach has no offensive imagination. Hope the assistant coaches can provide some answers on the offensive end because that isn't Coach's strength.

If Coach thinks additional donors are clamoring to help build a a $70 million arena to house this junior high school offense he's kidding himself. The whole thing needs a rehaul -- he owes it to these kids.

Terrance, I was busy with Liam last night and couldn't catch the game, but even with a zone, we are perfect for a zone defense. We have three guards on the floor with Reggie getting a dedicated guard as a defender. Tom(or whoever is center) can flash in the lane to the free throw line, opening the back door cut for Newborne.

Polk is fast enough to dribble penetrate, and aware enough to hit the open cutter. He will learn the theory of spacing, and then teach the other players how he wants them to react to a given situation. Good things will start happening when the other players start working better on the plays, which in turn will free Reggie. We have two zone busters - Reggie as the shooter and Dwayne with his speed.

He's not 100%, he say's it isn't so painful, but he's maintained swelling in his foot so his movement isn't as normal. We knew he wasn't starting days ago, but he didn't want me to mention it here, so I didn't. He'd prefer to start, but coach felt it wasn't best for the team, so he came off the bench.

I know most think I'm soft on the players I'm not, I just try to give insight to what they go thru and maybe we (fans) can understand their struggle. I was the first to tell Reg his game was off, I'm sure he took an extra minute before calling me, because he could imagine what I'd say. I never said don't criticize the guys, I just like to make sure we're not going overboard, calling them names etc... (not saying u, just in generally speaking)especially when family is on board.