GDT WNIT SLU at UCA

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

How did a sub-500 team get in the women's NIT?!@?

AD of the Year Magic!

Tied under 1 min left. Time for SLU to wake up and close out the W

5 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Just wondering I didn’t see Mia Nicastro on the bench tonight.  Her playing time has gone down this year but she is usually very vocal on the bench.  Is there a women’s basketball portal?

There is a portal, no Billikens in it, I thought I saw her on the bench tonight? Not sure, camera was on the UCA bench when play stopped

56 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

There is a portal, no Billikens in it, I thought I saw her on the bench tonight? Not sure, camera was on the UCA bench when play stopped

She wasn’t in the pregame picture on X.    I rewatched the final minute.  Definitely not on the bench. 🙁

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

How did a sub-500 team get in the women's NIT?!@?

The NCAA sponsors a new post-season tourney called the WBIT. They pick 32 teams for that then the WNIT picks 48 teams from the rest. So there are 144 teams playing post-season hoops. The NCAA doesn’t own the WNIT so they’re trying to run it out of business. 

23 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

She wasn’t in the pregame picture on X.    I rewatched the final minute.  Definitely not on the bench. 🙁

🤷‍♂️May just have the flu or something. I just looked again, no Billiken women in the portal that I can see.

OkieBilliken likes this

13 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The NCAA sponsors a new post-season tourney called the WBIT. They pick 32 teams for that then the WNIT picks 48 teams from the rest. So there are 144 teams playing post-season hoops. The NCAA doesn’t own the WNIT so they’re trying to run it out of business. 

That’s correct. Kind of what happened in the early 80’s. When Title IX passed, the NCAA didn’t want any part of women’s sports, so the AIAW (Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women) was formed to govern women’s sports. Then, in the early 80’s, the NCAA noticed that some money was being made that they didn’t control, so they forced all colleges to put women’s sports under the NCAA. Same thing is happening now, with more interest in women’s sports the NCAA noticed that there might be some money being made here, so they moved to try to muscle the WNIT out of business, that didn’t work, so they just started a competing tournament (WBIT) to drive the WNIT out of business so the NCAA can control the money situation better.

8 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I keep thinking they could have come up with a better abbreviation considering the championship game could end up being abbreviated WBITC...

10 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

🤷‍♂️May just have the flu or something. I just looked again, no Billiken women in the portal that I can see.

Both Mia and Ashleigh in the portal…which is why you did not see either on the bench last night.  Connor always seemed athletic and skilled  enough to handle whatever pace the  game presented when she entered…always wondered why she did not play more often??

courtside likes this

19 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Both Mia and Ashleigh in the portal…which is why you did not see either on the bench last night.  Connor always seemed athletic and skilled  enough to handle whatever pace the  game presented when she entered…always wondered why she did not play more often??

Didn’t see them in yesterday when I looked, but they are there today. Better get busy in the portal to replace that depth, I doubt you’ll find a difference making high school player already not committed this late, but who knows. We need support inside and another PG, Julia Martinez had the most assists this year and she’s gone. Kennedy Calhoun can handle the ball, but has gotten into a lot of foul trouble. 

44 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Didn’t see them in yesterday when I looked, but they are there today. Better get busy in the portal to replace that depth, I doubt you’ll find a difference making high school player already not committed this late, but who knows. We need support inside and another PG, Julia Martinez had the most assists this year and she’s gone. Kennedy Calhoun can handle the ball, but has gotten into a lot of foul trouble. 

I'm very concerned about next year. Hell, it's a minor miracle we even got post-season play this year. A .500 record each year regardless of post-season is going to wear thin, eventually.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour