Selection Sunday

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Soderberg exemption?

Yeah UVA is bad in a down ACC. St. John's turned it on after the famous Pitino "lateral quickness" rant.

But if anything goes against some greater narrative about TV audience, media hype the Pitino snub does.  He gets a lot of helium and is sitting at home.  

Gotta give it to him he is entertaining though, his quote about how St. John's could beat UCONN was great. He said they could win, "if all UCONN starters got COVID."

This one (St. John’s, NET 32) along with the snub of Seton Hall (2nd OUT, #1 Seed NIT, albeit with NET of 67) and the promotion of an ACC also ran like Virginia (NET 54, 2nd to last team IN) are Power 5 hits on the +1 Big East to garner that extra, elusive, but lucrative NCAA Tourney unit. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, David King said:

If an A-10 team won 28 games, they would be an NCAA lock, and likely a 4 to 6 seed. ISU winning 28 and being snubbed tells me that the Valley is even worse than I thought.

An A-10 team probably wouldn't get snubbed, but I don't think they'd get a 4-6 seed either. It's a tougher environment since the committee switched from the RPI to the NET. All mid-majors should be pissed about the ISU snub. 

Everything on my side went pretty much as expected...The only mini surprise  was not that the Committee picked an extra A-10 team (after all there were 6 extra openings with the shun)...but who they picked ...St. J.     The mini snub was UMass.   I usually only list the teams that have a good chance of getting in (at least 50%) but with exit of 6 teams there was a need to drop into the 40s.  Pre selection  I had UMass at 45%...also St. B and St. J  at 40%. After the exodus...UMass moved to 50% and St. B and St. J. came in at 46%.   Again you could make the argument that UMass finished at 11-7 and that the Bonnies tied St. J at 9-9.   Of course, if you have been reading my stuff, you understand at this point it is not about data or numbers ...it is about the Committee....or as the computer would say ...Humans...$%^*)(*&!!!

42 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

https://x.com/hoyapropaganda/status/1769499307655274785?s=46&t=jikm5nKg-NlIUjy2c9C9zw

Does this one really need to be in the form of a question? 

You could make a case for all of the bubble teams that got in and a handful that didn't, but UVA has absolutely no business playing in any tournament but the NIT.

willie, brianstl and sludevil like this

26 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

You could make a case for all of the bubble teams that got in and a handful that didn't, but UVA has absolutely no business playing in any tournament but the NIT.

Agreed. Can only assume Tony Bennet has some crazy dirt on the selection committee.

4 hours ago, David King said:

If an A-10 team won 28 games, they would be an NCAA lock, and likely a 4 to 6 seed. ISU winning 28 and being snubbed tells me that the Valley is even worse than I thought.

LOL WHAT?!?

Are you saying in the vacuum of this year?

Way too many variables to be sure of ANY of those statements. 

Wow , feel for Indiana State,. not only the snub , but then their NIT first round game isn't on  normal tv, on ESPN+

Ah yes, remember Columbia House , 12 cassette for a penny!!!  Terre Haute baby!