Back to the Future...Ford vs Crews

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Yes, ...the fact that someone would ask about comparing one of the worst teams in recent history shows we are not in a good place.   Up until the Crews era, I had the regular grading system and at the bottom was just the letter F.   It was during Crew's tenure that I had to come up the F+ and F- to micro manage the bad numbers.  We need to turn the ship around.  The good news is that in this new age of NIL and transfers it can be done quickly.

Conversely, it can unravel just as quickly too

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Didn’t the shot clock change somewhere in there?

Yes ...In Crews's final season 2015-16...C16. It went from 35 sec to 30 sec.

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Have you read the book "The Real Animal House" by Chris Miller?

Nah I have seen a documentary about making the film. Filmed in Oregon but you notice during the student court scene there's a Tennessee flag.  I really love just about everything Harold Ramis and John Landis. 

On 1/26/2024 at 3:42 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

Nah I have seen a documentary about making the film. Filmed in Oregon but you notice during the student court scene there's a Tennessee flag.  I really love just about everything Harold Ramis and John Landis. 

You should read it. It’s about Chris Miller‘s actual fraternity chapter at Dartmouth University that inspired the movie.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:37 AM, AnkielBreakers said:

So, if we ask for anything, will you try to do it? For example, compare this team to all of Soderberg’s teams? Or, how about Soderberg vs Ford statistically, based on teams and outcomes!?

Talking about Sodie, anyone notice he's been demoted at Virginia from Associate Coach to Director of Scouting?  😏 not one his strong points. New Assoc Coach is Ron Sanchez that Bennett got from Charlotte. Sanchez actually did a decent job of resurrecting Charlotte and left the cupboard full making them very competitive for this year. When Charlotte left the A10 they really went into the dumpster going through coaches and 200+ net rankings.  

1 minute ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Talking about Sodie, anyone notice he's been demoted at Virginia from Associate Coach to Director of Scouting?  😏 not one his strong points. New Assoc Coach is Ron Sanchez that Bennett got from Charlotte. Sanchez actually did a decent job of resurrecting Charlotte and left the cupboard full making them very competitive for this year. When Charlotte left the A10 they really went into the dumpster going through coaches and 200+ net rankings.  

Sodie could evaluate talent just couldn't get the players to come here.  Yes I know he whiffed on Ahern but everybody is allowed a mistake.  I also think that was him trying to separate himself from Romar kind of a thing

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He wanted Harrellson he just wanted him in the Spring because he was pulling the "Golden Fly" bit

Didn't Harrellson end up at Western Ill? Surely we could out recruited them.

In defense of Sodie, he might have had Willie (was Willie at that point at some basketball HS factory & had academic issues?) signed making Harrellson less of a priority. That was awhile ago, don't remember all the issues.

I am sure I could come up with others Sodie whiffed on. We always seemed to be undersized and lacking athleticism (granted Sodie did not have 1/2 the resources Ford has presently). Where, I always thought, Sodie was good with the X & Os which at least made us competitive. 

1 hour ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Didn't Harrellson end up at Western Ill? Surely we could out recruited them.

In defense of Sodie, he might have had Willie (was Willie at that point at some basketball HS factory & had academic issues?) signed making Harrellson less of a priority. That was awhile ago, don't remember all the issues.

I am sure I could come up with others Sodie whiffed on. We always seemed to be undersized and lacking athleticism (granted Sodie did not have 1/2 the resources Ford has presently). Where, I always thought, Sodie was good with the X & Os which at least made us competitive. 

Yes he did but he signed in the Fall and Sodie only asked him to wait until the Spring but the kid did not.  Not sure what exactly Brad told him but I know he was interested but wanted to wait.  Brad was not a good enough recruiter to try to finesse recruits - he wasn't Coach K at Duke,