VCU over The Bills by 9

General Outlook.... VCU is a B team...No post season play showing at this time.. ..The Bills meanwhile continue to cling to a C but are still locked in the PIG pen.  They need a win to hold onto their grade and climb out of the sty.

Game Preview....This is not the same VCU  team that you are use to seeing. One of their starters (Jackson)  was injured in the last game and is questionable for tonight's game.  The computer is estimating that if he doesn't play  you can knock off 6 pts from the spread (making it close to even) and 3 rebs.  Jackson also led the team in steals. The other factor here is they don't have a lot of depth.  If Jackson is missing,  it will be a patchwork lineup.  In the last game ,  VCU managed to eke out a 6 pt win against a La Salle team that is worse than SLU. If we have a decent game tonight, we could take this one

Let's take a look at this game's report card....

Report Card.... 

The card is neutral...3 up and 3 down...2 up  on Def and 1 up on Off and 2 down on Off and 1 up  on Def. 

.................SLU............VCU................SLU..........................VCU

...........................OFF..........................................DEF.............

PPG..........C-..................D+..................D.-...........................B

FG%.........C....................C+...................D............................A-

3P%.........A.....................C+..................C-..........................B+

FT%.........C+....................A.....................................................

Reb..........D.....................C.....................D...........................A-

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP...............Off....Reb.......Def....FG%...3P%

Down.........Off......PPG...3P%.......Def...Reb

Top 100 In The Nation

SLU

Min /gm...Jimerson ...31st...up

VCU

FG%...Lawal...2nd (71.6)

Blks...Fermin...39th

FT% ...Shulga...64th

Injury /Illness report and misc

The Bills....

None

VCU...

Jackson...Jan 19...Back...Questionable

Keys to the Game.......VCU turns the ball over (Grade D) we need to pressure them....Don't foul Shulga...he is their FT guy

WWN2D2W...Target slash...48/39/74....Hold VCU to 70pts....Beat VCU on TOs by 2....  Rebs....even.....Hold the top 3 scores to 31 ....FTM...even.....  

Bottom line....Instead of following sheep...let's shear one.

If ever there was a game to press, tonight would be it.  Let’s see how CTF approaches it.  With Medley, Meadows, Hughes, Thames, Jimerson, Parker and even Hargrove, we have the number of horses needed to do it.  Shulga and Bairstow are not ballhandlers.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

WWN2D2W...Target slash...48/39/74

Real slash…36/20/94

Not going to win anything with that shooting. 

There’s a lot of things we’re not gonna win with 

6 hours ago, Taj79 said:

If ever there was a game to press, tonight would be it.  Let’s see how CTF approaches it.  With Medley, Meadows, Hughes, Thames, Jimerson, Parker and even Hargrove, we have the number of horses needed to do it.  Shulga and Bairstow are not ballhandlers.

To the surprise of no one, SLU pressed only once the game was out of hand. 

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

WWN2D2W...Target slash...48/39/74

Real slash…36/20/94

Not going to win anything with that shooting. 

You took the words  right off my keyboard....You can't shoot , you can't win.   Missing the slash cost us 18 pts.  On TOs...if we get VCU  just to make their  normal amount of TOs that is worth another 8 pts. I could go on but that but we have already made up the actual spread.

In the words of HOF Coach K..."Next game"

This game could have gone much better than it did, we could have lost by a lower number. As it was, the way I saw it, there was no intention in the part of our team to risk injury in order to win this game. I really have no idea what Ford told them at the halftime, whatever it was, it did not work. I did not stick around to hear what Ford said after the game. We lost by 24 points against VCU, the will/desire to win was just not there against VCU. Again, this is my opinion.

I think the kind words Ford had for the team after losing by 5 points against Dayton at Dayton, may have had a whole lot to do with the outcome tonight.

A Bomb may disagree with me here, but loyalty of the troops (the team in this case) is not gained by berating them after a failed major effort to win. I was never in combat, it may be different in this kind of situation.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

You took the words  right off my keyboard....You can't shoot , you can't win.   Missing the slash cost us 18 pts.  On TOs...if we get VCU  just to make their  normal amount of TOs that is worth another 8 pts. I could go on but that but we have already made up the actual spread.

In the words of HOF Coach K..."Next game"

Has the computer started yelling at you about firing CTF yet? 😂

9 hours ago, Soderball said:

Has the computer started yelling at you about firing CTF yet? 😂

No,  the computer only deals with data.  ...no judgements or human speculation.  For instance , in recent games it has pointed out the discrepancy in FTA.  You will note , it didn't access blame...refs, players or coach.  It referred to it as an anomaly....something out of the ordinary  based on the Bills season averages.  Last night in the VCU game the key stat was below average shooting.

Sometimes, after I stop typing I think the computer reads the Board in the wee hours.  I am sure on some sentient level, it is probably laughing to itself.

Of course the computer, yours and everyone else's, cannot access items like morale of the team or determination to face whatever comes in order to win. So, what you have is a discrepancy between what the team can be expected to achieve, and what it actually does achieve. Everybody should reach their own conclusions, but as far as I am concerned, I think the team's morale is low.