Midtown Madness: S4E19 TJ Goes T-Mac on Louisiana Tech; Scores 11 Points in 28 Seconds; Billikens Beat Bulldogs

Podcast

Season 4 of the Midtown Madness Podcast is brought to you by Two Men and a Garden! That’s right they are fueling this podcast with not only delicious pickles, but salsas and most recently Harissa sauce. They are the real deal! Their products are delicious and more importantly local to St. Louis. You can pick up their many products at any local grocery stores or online where they ship nationwide!

💻https://twomenandagarden.com/

🐦https://twitter.com/2mensalsa

📸https://www.instagram.com/2mensalsa

On This Episode

• The Legend of the Terrence Hargrove Jr Game

• Rammer’s Comments on Magassa 

• NCAA Eligibility Waiver Saga Comes to an End

• Around the A10

• WBB run over by Green Bay

• Caroline Kelly Transfers to TCU

• Baseball Schedule Releaseed

🐦 https://twitter.com/MidtownMadPod

📸https://www.instagram.com/midtownmadpod/

View the full article

Pistol and TheChosenOne like this

I'm a big fan of the podcast but absolutely everyone who listened to Zac's take on the Jimerson foul is dumber for it. He fouled because he didn't know the score and thought we were down one. Look at the Billikens after the shot is made. Two guys are already back. When the camera comes back to the action, Jimerson is in the backcourt with his arms over his head because he realized he didn't know the score. He wasn't trying to stop a 3 on 2 fast break. 

He's been a great Billiken and we all love him. That's not the point. The point is that you're supposed to be analyzing basketball and you come up with the most implausible take. They had no fast break. I'm flabbergasted that you spend 15 minutes breaking down the last 30 seconds and you cannot even follow the logic of the game. It has nothing to do with "the angle you were watching the play from." Do better. 

51 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I'm a big fan of the podcast but absolutely everyone who listened to Zac's take on the Jimerson foul is dumber for it. He fouled because he didn't know the score and thought we were down one. Look at the Billikens after the shot is made. Two guys are already back. When the camera comes back to the action, Jimerson is in the backcourt with his arms over his head because he realized he didn't know the score. He wasn't trying to stop a 3 on 2 fast break. 

He's been a great Billiken and we all love him. That's not the point. The point is that you're supposed to be analyzing basketball and you come up with the most implausible take. They had no fast break. I'm flabbergasted that you spend 15 minutes breaking down the last 30 seconds and you cannot even follow the logic of the game. It has nothing to do with "the angle you were watching the play from." Do better. 

I wasn't denying he fouled him thinking we were still down. What I was saying is that I didn't hate that he fouled him. He was past  Jimerson and I didn't think we were in good position to defend the a final shot. So I wasn't overly upset with the foul. Maybe I wasn't clear, it happens. I have never pretended to know anything more about basketball than enough to be dangerous. I was having fun with a hot take. Luckily, the foul turned out to be just fun footnote on the game at this point so we can make light of it.

17 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

This is pure speculation, but I have thought it was possible that Jimerson thought TJ's shot was only a 2 and not a 3.  I'd have to look again to see if I can tell where Jimerson was on the court when the shot went up.  If he thought it was a 2, that would explain him thinking he needed to foul.

20 hours ago, Midtown Madness said:

I wasn't denying he fouled him thinking we were still down. What I was saying is that I didn't hate that he fouled him. He was past  Jimerson and I didn't think we were in good position to defend the a final shot. So I wasn't overly upset with the foul. Maybe I wasn't clear, it happens. I have never pretended to know anything more about basketball than enough to be dangerous. I was having fun with a hot take. Luckily, the foul turned out to be just fun footnote on the game at this point so we can make light of it.

Fair enough. It ended up not being the worst thing, and you're right, it gave us a chance to win the game. There wasn't a 3 on 2 situation. You can see a little more from Earl's twitter feed because he filmed the TJ shot. Jimerson was back behind the 3 point line and ran up to foul him. The ref and Ford both signal 3. I think Gibson saw it. It was a lot of points being scored. At the 0:12, the La Tech guard catches the ball inside his own key and Gibson is behind the 3 point line. 

In hindsight, no Brad and no Dalger would have made a tough OT, but the odds of scoring full-court with no TO's and 4.5 seconds is < 5%, and the odds of La Tech making a FT in the double bonus is > 80%. 

9 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is pure speculation, but I have thought it was possible that Jimerson thought TJ's shot was only a 2 and not a 3.  I'd have to look again to see if I can tell where Jimerson was on the court when the shot went up.  If he thought it was a 2, that would explain him thinking he needed to foul.

Jimerson set the screen that gave TJ the space to take an uncontested three. That was the third of three great screens by Jimerson which were crucial to the win. He made a mistake, I guess thinking they were still down one, and immediately recognized his error. Those three fouls on Medley, Dalger, and Jimerson, even though the first two probably weren’t fouls and Jimerson’s was inadvertent, saved just enough time so TJ could make the game-winner.

The odds on all the things that happened in the final 36 seconds to produce the win had to be astronomically high.

Crewsorlose likes this

15 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Jimerson set the screen that gave TJ the space to take an uncontested three. That was the third of three great screens by Jimerson which were crucial to the win. He made a mistake, I guess thinking they were still down one, and immediately recognized his error. Those three fouls on Medley, Dalger, and Jimerson, even though the first two probably weren’t fouls and Jimerson’s was inadvertent, saved just enough time so TJ could make the game-winner.

The odds on all the things that happened in the final 36 seconds to produce the win had to be astronomically high.

It seems like Jimerson setting screens is a new wrinkle in our offense.  I don't recall him setting many screens in previous years or even earlier this year.  I really like a guy who is an excellent 3pt shooter setting screens because it has potential to throw the defense into chaos.  It reverses what the defense is normally focused on (help on drives to the basket).  Instead they're worried about the guy setting the screen popping out to the 3pt line.  This is part of what makes Steph Curry so good in the NBA is that he sets a lot of screens that either free him up or free up teammates going to the basket.