2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

We were only 312 in 3pt % defense? It sure seems we were worse than that…

I certainly don't want to question @Cowboy II 's numbers but I am showing Pomeroy at 329 on 3P% defense.  Perhaps his number of 312 was from earlier in the season.  But even if the times are in sync data sources can differ...KenPom uses STATS Perform for his database...generally pretty good  but their are glitches from time to time... sometimes their are rounding differences... sometimes mistakes. One small mistake not corrected can feed into the data all season.  I use Sports Direct as one of my sources( the word source is plural ...that is how you can sometimes spot errors by cross checking)...they have live data...ie the data is updated as soon as a game is completed and they have been pretty accurate over the years. And of course, there is the NCAA which is one of the most widely used sources because...well because they are the NCAA and they say so.  Unfortunately, their data base uses 351 teams...there are currently 362 teams.    There were  351 teams as recently as 2017-18 and they haven't bothered to update their data program since.  And why should they ...things seem to be working well...there haven't been many changes to college basketball since then and if things get askew we can always "fix" things. You gotta love the NCAA...no matter what you say about them at least they are consistent.....in their inconsistency.

To get back to the original question which was Bills 3P% defense...I have the Bills finishing their season at  #337 ...they had been as low as 351. That was when they recorded an F-.  That 337 isn't final but there are no 338+ teams playing now  and the Bills 3P%D is not going to get worse.

Hopefully, are days of 300+  offense or defense are over .

To summarize: all sources agree our 3P% Defense stunk, but there is a slight variation as to the degree of the putridness of the stench.  Nevertheless, the rancid stench needs to go, and hopefully will. 

The Wiz likes this

34 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

The other stats area that seemed to kill us was turnovers. Wiz can you say where we ranked in turnovers?

Ah...you have been reading my stuff....

Yes this was the season killer....Regular TOs weren't bad...#170....C ...But it was the opponent TOs that was the crusher...330...F  ....It was the TO differential ...the one stat that could trigger a loss.  When we lost the TO battle  there was about an 80% chance  we would lose the game.  We did OK protecting the ball but we weren't very good at forcing TOs.

It all ties together...we were great at shooting 3s ...but not protecting against them...We  protected the ball ok but didn't force TOs enough....Opp rebs not good....It was like we were going through the motions but were a step late. When we didn't have the ball we were not very good.

This season would have been very upsetting to Majerus.

With an average defense we would have been good.

57 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This season would have been very upsetting to Majerus.

With an average defense we would have been good.

Majerus cared about details.   it was pretty obvious this team did not.   roll the balls out and play it seemed to me.  so rickma would have never had such a shoddy defense or lack of attention to the details that make a difference.   we wasted a lot of athletic talent this past season imo.   this was the least fundamentally sound team in my billiken fandom from my view.   and the lack of focus on the floor and the habit of making the same mistakes over and over drove us all crazy.   a good coach could have made this past season a successful season imo.  

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Majerus cared about details.   it was pretty obvious this team did not.   roll the balls out and play it seemed to me.  so rickma would have never had such a shoddy defense or lack of attention to the details that make a difference.   we wasted a lot of athletic talent this past season imo.   this was the least fundamentally sound team in my billiken fandom from my view.   and the lack of focus on the floor and the habit of making the same mistakes over and over drove us all crazy.   a good coach could have made this past season a successful season imo.  

I still remember him saying he is not afraid to use all his time outs in the first 10 minutes to try to turn it around if things were going bad.  I also remember him at one game - can't remember which one I think it was the year we lost those players to Situation 1 - where he realized that nothing he was doing was going to change what was happening on the floor at that point - he just sat on the chair and never got up.  He figured no point in getting upset right now.  He may have just been formulating what to do at the next practice.