O.T. D-Day

Just a reminder, today is the 79th anniversary of D-Day.   The most incredible display of patriotism and sacrifice the world has ever seen.  All for the benefit of mankind.  Never Forget.

"They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate." 
-- President Franklin D. Roosevelt's official address announcing the invasion

"At the core, the American citizen soldiers knew the difference between right and wrong, and they didn't want to live in a world in which wrong prevailed. So they fought, and won, and we, all of us, living and yet to be born, must be forever profoundly grateful."
--Author Stephen Ambrose

My wife took me to Normandy a few years back and it was one of best experiences I've ever had.  My dad served in the Navy during WW Two over in the Pacific theater so it had extra meaning.

I challenge anyone to go to the cemeteries in Normandy and not be moved by the the sacrifice of these people.

Adman and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, shempie said:

Ronald Reagan's speech on the 40th anniversary. The boys of Point du Hoc.

The History Place - Great Speeches Collection: Ronald Reagan Speech on the 40th Anniversary of D-Day

Was going to say the same thing.  The boys of Point Du Hoc 2nd Ranger BN.  70% casualties that is extremely sad but amazing that they kept going on won.

I don't think we have the stomach for such sacrifice today so any war in Eastern Europe vs a near peer will need to be resolved quickly. Best to avoid all together by helping a partner win. Because if we get pulled in there other bad actors in other parts of the world will make their move and we'll have to act on 2 fronts again. The next war and the next next war has been on my mind a lot lately with WWII the last total war as the last case study on what we may expect, except now with cyber and space domains. "Ghost Fleet" (highly recommended by US strategic thinkers) and "2034" a couple Novels on the next war.  GF is better. 

billiken_roy likes this

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Just a reminder, today is the 79th anniversary of D-Day.   The most incredible display of patriotism and sacrifice the world has ever seen.  All for the benefit of mankind.  Never Forget.

South St. Louis’s Yogi Berra was one of many St. Louisans at Normandy that day.