So what *is* the plan for the arena, anyway?

bonwich

How often are there going to be concerts at this thing?

At GW, admitedly there are stand-up comedians and some shows than come through here. But it is not like the Smith Center is being used for that much. How often is the thing going to be used. It won't kill players to play in another gym every once and a while.

I understand, if you build it, build it right. But how much is building it right going to cost when we don't have that much $$$.

Steve

Also, I am glad that Rich and I can agree after about 6 months of Disagreeing.

I could care less if all the people in the seats are "true fans". The true fans will show up for every game. Unfortunately, we don't have as many true fans as Duke, UNC, etc. We need those casual sports fans to come see the Billikens, and who knows, maybe they will become fanatics like us. More people in the seats = More money = Better facilities = Better Recruits = Better basketball program. I'm not saying 20,000 seats, but 12,000 - 15,000 is certainly not going overboard.

I have heard that for a University to sponsor first/second round tournament games the arena has to hold 12000. I suspect this may influence whether to build in this range.

I don't know how realistic it would be to host tournament games with the Savvis right down the street but the NCAA seems to love these type arenas -- look at Dayton who gets the play in game every year.