………………

CSN

BYU 9

SLU 16

Brown 19

Xavier  20

Nebraska 24

………………

Wow #6 in a poll!   I know its probably an outlier but is there any chance we land a top 8 seed?   

courtside likes this

47 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Wow #6 in a poll!   I know its probably an outlier but is there any chance we land a top 8 seed?   

If I was doing the seeding, yes. I will be the first to not overstate my influence, but I am a consultant to Top Drawer Soccer. In my opinion the people there have a better understanding for, and appreciation of, SLU’s Soccer programs, especially the Men’s program. 

SLU Women won two games this week by a combined score of 8-0. And CSN dropped them from 15 to 16. Much ot that is because there were upset winners in several tourneys. And when some of those bigger name schools dropped, they slot them sometimes in front of SLU. 

Too Drawer Soccer has also has Memphis ranked as high as 3 nationally this season. (4th this week).

I have openly mentioned to SLU staff that NCAA Soccer, fair or unfair, wants to see more 4-0 wins from SLU against certain teams, rather than 1-0 or 2-0, in order to stand out more. 

Focus less on the seeds vs whom SLU plays in regards to level of quality, as well as style of play. That is what will matter most. Example: SLU may match up better with a 1 seed than a 2 seed depending on the team and situation. 

I’d have to look but Indiana is probably the closest team to SLU geographically. They are on the good side of the bubble. They likely won’t be seeded. If you are not seeded top 32 of 64, you could play anyone. Example:

Wisconsin will probably play Milwaukee. Notre Dame will probably play Valpo. But the NCAA will also throw out some random ones too. I mentioned in a different post some of the teams. S Dakota St. would also be on that list. 

SLU probably needed just one more high level non-conference win, either Brown or Xavier, to have a top 10 level RPI, ranking, 2 seed etc….as opposed to 15 and in that 3, 4, 5 seed range. 

I would be pleasantly surprised of SLU received a 2 seed. I would also be unpleasantly surprised if SLU received a 6 seed. So, probably 3, 4, 5 and I believe any of that is possible. I say 4. Hoping for 3. But again, matchups matter most. 

……………

Caroline Kelly was named to the College Soccer News National Team of the Week.

………………

NCAA Goals Leaders:

Eleanor Dale (Nebraska) 25

Lexi Missimo (Texas) 24

Gianna Gourley (GCU) 21

Trinity Byars (Texas) 17

Faith Weber (Utah Valley) 16

*Emily Gaebe (SLU) 15

Giavanna Inzerillo (C. CT. St.) 15

…………….

*Started less than half of her team’s games. 

5 minutes ago, courtside said:

If I was doing the seeding, yes. I will be the first to not overstate my influence, but I am a consultant to Top Drawer Soccer. In my opinion the people there have a better understanding for, and appreciation of, SLU’s Soccer programs, especially the Men’s program. 

SLU Women won two games this week by a combined score of 8-0. And CSN dropped them from 15 to 16. Much ot that is because there were upset winners in several tourneys. And when some of those bigger name schools dropped, they slot them sometimes in front of SLU. 

Too Drawer Soccer has also has Memphis ranked as high as 3 nationally this season. (4th this week).

I have openly mentioned to SLU staff that NCAA Soccer, fair or unfair, wants to see more 4-0 wins from SLU against certain teams, rather than 1-0 or 2-0, in order to stand out more. 

Focus less on the seeds vs whom SLU plays in regards to level of quality, as well as style of play. That is what will matter most. Example: SLU ma match up better with a 1 seed than a 2 seed depending on the team and situation. 

I’d have to look but Indiana is probably the closest team to SLU geographically. They are on the good side of the bubble. They likely won’t be seeded. If you are not seeded top 32 of 64, you could play anyone. Example:

Wisconsin will probably play Milwaukee. Notre Dame will probably play Valpo. But the NCAA will also throw out some random ones too. I mentioned in a different post some of the teams. S Dakota St. would also be on that list. 

SLU probably needed just one more high level non-conference win, either Brown or Xavier, to have a top 10 level RPI, ranking, 2 seed etc….as opposed to 15 and in that 3, 4, 5 seed range. 

I would be pleasantly surprised of SLU received a 2 seed. I would also be unpleasantly surprised if SLU received a 6 seed. So, probably 3, 4, 5 and I believe any of that is possible. I say 4. Hoping for 3. But again, matchups matter most. 

……………

Interesting info.  Thanks.   It would be nice not to be matched up against a Canadian cold-weather team like Memphis anytime soon.   

14 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Interesting info.  Thanks.   It would be nice not to be matched up against a Canadian cold-weather team like Memphis anytime soon.   

Since SLU will be seeded, they cannot play a top 8 seed or top 32 overall team. (Memphis wall be a similar seed to SLU) But they can play anyone considered to be 33 to 64 in the tourney. That group of teams are chosen based on a variety of reasons, some of which will make little sense. And 4v5 or 3v6 can be in the same bracket.

I am an advocate for the first 2 rounds to be played on campus at one of the two team’s playing. In the 2nd round, the best seed, often a 1 or a 2, hosts three teams over two games. I posted this earlier in the thread but use last year as an example:

SLU was a 2 seed, 8 RPI heading into the NCAA Tourney. (They finished 10th)

When SLU lost, that meant Arkansas, the #3 seed hosted the other 3 teams. Arkansas played a 3 v 6 game vs Ohio State. And Arkansas also hosted Memphis’ 4-0 win over #7 seed Mississippi St.. Then Arkansas hosted Memphis to a 3-3 game which Arkansas won in PK’s. Then Arkansas traveled to Florida State for the regional final and lost 1-0. So, SLU would need an upset etc some help if it did not get a 1 or 2 seed. 

The NCAA is also well known for tweaking some things each year. 

15 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Also, I guess we should have expected all the yellow cards from LaSalle, they lead the A10 by far with 34. For comparison, the Billikens have only 16, middle of the pack in the A10.

La Salle plays rough. I looked back at our previous meeting and they had all 3 yellow cards issued in that one.

No common opponents played between the two schools this year, Indiana was 5th in the B1G, did not play Nebraska (who lead the B1G and who SLU beat 3-2 this year). SLU should be favored, but this looks like a good team coming to town.  31 goals scored to 14 given up, so they are tough to score against. 8 B1G teams made the tournament, so they are used to playing tough games late in the season, Billikens need to be ready. Indiana did lose 2 of their last 3, but both were to Penn State, once in the regular season and once in the quarterfinals of the B1G tournament, and Penn State is highly seeded in the NCAA.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:49 AM, courtside said:

Since SLU will be seeded, they cannot play a top 8 seed or top 32 overall team. (Memphis wall be a similar seed to SLU) But they can play anyone considered to be 33 to 64 in the tourney. That group of teams are chosen based on a variety of reasons, some of which will make little sense. And 4v5 or 3v6 can be in the same bracket.

I am an advocate for the first 2 rounds to be played on campus at one of the two team’s playing. In the 2nd round, the best seed, often a 1 or a 2, hosts three teams over two games. I posted this earlier in the thread but use last year as an example:

SLU was a 2 seed, 8 RPI heading into the NCAA Tourney. (They finished 10th)

When SLU lost, that meant Arkansas, the #3 seed hosted the other 3 teams. Arkansas played a 3 v 6 game vs Ohio State. And Arkansas also hosted Memphis’ 4-0 win over #7 seed Mississippi St.. Then Arkansas hosted Memphis to a 3-3 game which Arkansas won in PK’s. Then Arkansas traveled to Florida State for the regional final and lost 1-0. So, SLU would need an upset etc some help if it did not get a 1 or 2 seed. 

The NCAA is also well known for tweaking some things each year. 

Initial thoughts aren’t great. But it is what it is. 

SLU gets a 6. Memphis gets an 8. Some Power 5 schools were rewarded for regular season and some were rewarded for conference tourney. Texas and Iowa received 5 seeds because they won their conference tourney. They were both bubble teams. 

Indiana, Georgetown, and Penn State are all methodical defensive teams. Although the latter 2 teams are better teams.

Dave Nolan at Georgetown doesn’t like SLU’s style of play at all. He regularly rips Xavier. X had a tie and a loss v Georgetown this year but Xavier was the bette team in both of those games. 

Last year when Penn State hosted the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the games were played in snow. 

Geography was used in part and random in other examples as expected. Last year Mississippi St. randomly hosted New Mexico St. This year they will randomly host Providence. 

From a style of play standpoint, Clemson, Georgia, Santa Clara would be more preferable than the long list of build from the back defense first, possession teams in the bracket, which also includes Iowa, Columbia, etc…

Indiana will be a similar level team as Memphis was last year. A team in the RPI 30’s. They found a little more offense this year than last year. 2 late losses to Penn State. (almost everyone loses to Penn State)

I’ll take a look at it a bit later.

3 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Let's slap some Hoosiers and move on to Georgetown.   I may be able to get to that 2nd Round game.  Do they have the 2nd Round dates listed.   If they play it on that off Saturday at the Myrtle Beach that would be perfect to make a little trek up to DC

Penn State would be the host for SLU v Georgetown (if everyone won the 1st round as expected). I mentioned how all of that works in previous posts. 

If you want to see the second round, you probably need to head to Penn State. The way the women’s tournament works, that group of 8 we are in is the key. All 1st round winners head to the campus of the highest remaining seed. Penn Sate is highest in the group, so unless they lose their game, Penn State hosts. If Penn State loses and Georgetown wins, then Geaorgetown hosts. If both Penn State and Georgetown lose, SLU would host, etc… 

OkieBilliken likes this

History doesn’t show much, we are 1-1-1 against them, the win coming in 2003, the loss in 1998. I’m not liking this draw much, just like last year the committee gave us a tough assignment for round 1. I think they don’t think much of the A10. The only way SLU can change that is to win the game given to them. We really need a couple other conference teams that can find their way into at large bids to change their opinions. Oh well, beat the team on the schedule.

22 hours ago, courtside said:

Caroline Kelly was named to the College Soccer News National Team of the Week.

………………

NCAA Goals Leaders:

Eleanor Dale (Nebraska) 25

Lexi Missimo (Texas) 24

Gianna Gourley (GCU) 21

Trinity Byars (Texas) 17

Faith Weber (Utah Valley) 16

*Emily Gaebe (SLU) 15

Giavanna Inzerillo (C. CT. St.) 15

…………….

*Started less than half of her team’s games. 

Sophia Stram was named to the Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week.

Some time ago, I said I expected our ladies to win the A10 (as usual) and get their NCAA bid (as usual).  So far, mission accomplished.  The unfortunate part is that is the status quo.  In 2022, we lost then to Memphis.  In 2021, we beat Ol' Miss then lost to Rutgers.  In 202, we lost to Washington.  In 2019, we lost to Notre Dame.  In 2018, we lost to Kansas.  In 2006, we lost to Illinois.  In 2005, we beat Standford and lost to Santa Clara.  So over the last 25 years, we are a collective 2 and 7 in the NCAA tournament.  Every one of those teams, sans Santa Clara, were teams from the proverbial Power 6 conferences.  Now here comes Indiana.  

Can we bust through the proverbial glass ceiling and make a run?  In one poll, Penn State is #4; Georgetown is #8, and we are #15.  Indiana is #38 in that poll.  Penn State plays Central Connecticut State and Georgetown plays Old Dominion.  We need to change the narrative and take the next step.  But it won't be easy.

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Some time ago, I said I expected our ladies to win the A10 (as usual) and get their NCAA bid (as usual).  So far, mission accomplished.  The unfortunate part is that is the status quo.  In 2022, we lost then to Memphis.  In 2021, we beat Ol' Miss then lost to Rutgers.  In 202, we lost to Washington.  In 2019, we lost to Notre Dame.  In 2018, we lost to Kansas.  In 2006, we lost to Illinois.  In 2005, we beat Standford and lost to Santa Clara.  So over the last 25 years, we are a collective 2 and 7 in the NCAA tournament.  Every one of those teams, sans Santa Clara, were teams from the proverbial Power 6 conferences.  Now here comes Indiana.  

Can we bust through the proverbial glass ceiling and make a run?  In one poll, Penn State is #4; Georgetown is #8, and we are #15.  Indiana is #38 in that poll.  Penn State plays Central Connecticut State and Georgetown plays Old Dominion.  We need to change the narrative and take the next step.  But it won't be easy.

Part of the reason is that results in a single game in the playoffs can be so random compared to the results of the entire season. Most overseas soccer leagues simply don’t have them. Example, in the English Premier League they play every other team in the league twice, whoever is ahead in the standings wins, there is no playoff structure at all. Most other leagues feel the same way, before the MLS playoffs it was mentioned that Lutz Pfannenstel, City SC’s Sporting Director, had played for 26 clubs in all 6 continental football associations in his career, but during that time had only been involved once in playoffs on a club in New Zealand. Try explaining how six rounds of single elimination playoff play produces the correct answer as to who is the best club to some EPL fan and they will laugh at you.  They will also tell you the proper name of the sport is football, and explain why everyone should have a relegation/promotion system, so my advice is not to start that conversation. 

You are right about on thing, we are due some good luck, so hopefully the ladies play hard and do their best to create some luck on their own, it’s obvious the NCAA isn’t going to make things easy on us.