Bills Men's Basketball Playing Time 2019-2020 Thread

almaman

17 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Agreed, especially under TFord, who values versatility...that being said Jimmy Bell is most definitely a 5 and Yuri Collins a 1....the rest can play anywhere at times...

Yes they can. You can call them anything you want. However, if you don't have a balanced skill set, you'll have a team like we had this year and your scoring will suffer. 

• 5 months later...

Just a bit of a fantasy here. Would it help if those guys supposed to play with their back to the basket had a red dot or something on the back of their shirts, and those supposed to play facing the basket a red dot on the front of their shirts? I know it is a stupid idea, but it would make it clear who is who and what they are supposed to do in there.

The blue is for the MBMs with no sense of humor.

36 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Just a bit of a fantasy here. Would it help if those guys supposed to play with their back to the basket had a red dot or something on the back of their shirts, and those supposed to play facing the basket a red dot on the front of their shirts? I know it is a stupid idea, but it would make it clear who is who and what they are supposed to do in there.

The blue is for the MBMs with no sense of humor.

Who are you, and what have you done with Old Guy?

To return this old thread back to its roots, here is a September guess (projection):

OOC                                                                   CONF                                                           POST-SEASON

JG                              32                                                                      32                                                                         32

HF                              29                                                                       30                                                                         30

FT JR.                        24                                                                      23                                                                          24

PERKINS                   22                                                                      22                                                                          24

WEAVER                    21                                                                      18                                                                          18

YURI                           15                                                                       18                                                                          20

TH JR                         13                                                                      13                                                                           13

BELL                           8                                                                         10                                                                          10

JIMERSON                13                                                                       14                                                                           15

KCH                            8                                                                         7                                                                            6

JACOBS                     10                                                                       9                                                                             8

MD                              5                                                                         4                                                                             0

TOTAL                     200                                                                      200                                                                         200     

The above include a few adjustments to get to 200 min/gm and if a player's minutes go down as the season progresses it could be due to improvement of others or importance of games moving from OOC to A-10 to A-10 tournament and beyond.  For example, I see Yuri taking minutes from Weaver and Jimerson taking minutes from KCH and DJ.

Doing a position sanity check of 80 m/g for the 1/2 spots; 40 m/g for the 5; and 80 m/g for the 3/4 indicated that I was at least in the ballpark for the OOC minutes (I didn't do the other 2 columns)

1/2= JG-32, TW-21, YC-15, DJ-10 and FT JR  2=  80

5    = HF-27, JB-8; MD-5 =  40

3/4 = HF-2, FT JR- 22, JP- 22, TH JR -13, GJ -13, KCH -8  =  80

I am more than ready for the season to start.

To steal a phrase from our SC Champs,                                LET'S GO BILLS!

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

To return this old thread back to its roots, here is a September guess (projection):

OOC                                                                   CONF                                                           POST-SEASON

JG                              32                                                                      32                                                                         32

HF                              29                                                                       30                                                                         30

FT JR.                        24                                                                      23                                                                          24

PERKINS                   22                                                                      22                                                                          24

WEAVER                    21                                                                      18                                                                          18

YURI                           15                                                                       18                                                                          20

TH JR                         13                                                                      13                                                                           13

BELL                           8                                                                         10                                                                          10

JIMERSON                13                                                                       14                                                                           15

KCH                            8                                                                         7                                                                            6

JACOBS                     10                                                                       9                                                                             8

MD                              5                                                                         4                                                                             0

TOTAL                     200                                                                      200                                                                         200     

The above include a few adjustments to get to 200 min/gm and if a player's minutes go down as the season progresses it could be due to improvement of others or importance of games moving from OOC to A-10 to A-10 tournament and beyond.  For example, I see Yuri taking minutes from Weaver and Jimerson taking minutes from KCH and DJ.

Doing a position sanity check of 80 m/g for the 1/2 spots; 40 m/g for the 5; and 80 m/g for the 3/4 indicated that I was at least in the ballpark for the OOC minutes (I didn't do the other 2 columns)

1/2= JG-32, TW-21, YC-15, DJ-10 and FT JR  2=  80

5    = HF-27, JB-8; MD-5 =  40

3/4 = HF-2, FT JR- 22, JP- 22, TH JR -13, GJ -13, KCH -8  =  80

I am more than ready for the season to start.

To steal a phrase from our SC Champs,                                LET'S GO BILLS!

If our Boys are reading on this board which I hear they do than we will be a big motivation for both Hankton and Jacobs.

47 minutes ago, almaman said:

If our Boys are reading on this board which I hear they do than we will be a big motivation for both Hankton and Jacobs.

....and that would be outstanding, if it occurs.  Talk about giving TF substitution headaches, albeit good headaches.

Hope we can keep first 12 players happy all year, have visions of poor JC trying to figure out lineup with 13 players. Not settling on 5-7 really screwed us that year. Many don't think we hd a prayer no matter what but I still think to could of been a 500 season if he would of decided on a set lineup.  Sounds like I'm lumping TC in with JC :(

4 hours ago, bauman said:

This is a really well thought out minutes projection.  Noting not only that MPG have to add up to 200, but also that minutes will fluctuate throughout the year and must be distributed according to positions.  Kudos.

I'll add a couple of points:

• Total minutes per game will likely end up slightly more than 200 total because we're likely to play some OT games.  However, capping it at 200 makes sense for simplicity sake.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if several players see some DNPs-coaches decision (especially during the conference season) or god-forbid DNP-injuries.  Important to note that what we're looking at here is really minutes per team game played and not really minutes per individual game played.  It is an important difference that I think a lot of people are overlooking.  For example, last season KC Hankton played 5.6 minutes per game over 22 games, but the team played 36 games so in this analysis KC actually got 3.4 minutes per game last year.

Given my 2nd point, I think some of the lower totals on your list are too high.   Additionally, if a big contributor ends up getting hurt, it really throws the whole exercise into chaos.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is a really well thought out minutes projection.  Noting not only that MPG have to add up to 200, but also that minutes will fluctuate throughout the year and must be distributed according to positions.  Kudos.

I'll add a couple of points:

• Total minutes per game will likely end up slightly more than 200 total because we're likely to play some OT games.  However, capping it at 200 makes sense for simplicity sake.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if several players see some DNPs-coaches decision (especially during the conference season) or god-forbid DNP-injuries.  Important to note that what we're looking at here is really minutes per team game played and not really minutes per individual game played.  It is an important difference that I think a lot of people are overlooking.  For example, last season KC Hankton played 5.6 minutes per game over 22 games, but the team played 36 games so in this analysis KC actually got 3.4 minutes per game last year.

Given my 2nd point, I think some of the lower totals on your list are too high.   Additionally, if a big contributor ends up getting hurt, it really throws the whole exercise into chaos.

As Rammer has said many times on the radio, he loves CHAOS. 

Your final sentence is correct, but it's hard, if not impossible, to factor that into this exercise.  I guess you could define my projections as minutes per game, assuming everyone plays in each game.  Otherwise you have to take a wild guess at how many games each player misses, due to Coaches' decisions; injuries;  and any other potential reasons a player might miss a game.