St Louis Basketball

-yes, St Louis, on Ch5 Sunday night at 10.30 Frank is having Coach Grawer and Earl on a panel to come up with the all time St Louis basketball team, only 5 guys, this could be interesting and sort of runs with another thread 

-not being sure of the criteria, I am guessing McCauley, Hughes, JoJo White, Stipanovich and I'm not sure the 5th among Tatum, Beal, Ellis and others

Criteria for selection is pretty important.

Based on what years?  High School, College or Pros.  For example, Bradley has no connection to St. Louis in college or pros, same for JoJo and most others.  Heck Bradley might not even be a candidate since he was never a resident of St Louis.  If you want to stretch the geographic boundries then how far do you go?  I would like them to select 3 different teams; 1)  High School; 2 ) College; and  3) Pro.  Otherwise I think you are mixing apples with oranges.  In addition, I would exclude players from the College team if they only played one year.  How can you compare Hughes and Tatum's college years to JoJo and Stipo's

Picking only 5 total players is doing nothing more than attempting to drive up the number of clicks just for the sake of argument.  In any case, really good St. Louis natives who excelled in HS and College will likely be left off any list unless they come up with some second teams e.g. R. Roberson and C. Carrawell..

Separate HS and College teams would present some interesting candidates.  For example M Douglass might be a candidate for a second team HS team, but not College, while A Bonner would not make any HS team but would be a strong candidate for a team solely based on College.

Good luck Frank and Earl!

I would think "the best" means success at the highest level.  So this will be decided by nba success.  Easy Ed, jo jo, stipo, Bradley and hughes  

20 years from now beal and tatum might take someone's place, but their resume is to thin at this time imo

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Stipanovich isn’t even in the rotation fellas. Lee easily surpassed him in an NBA career. 

Hadn't thought of david.   I agree with you.

These are the 3 locks...

JoJo White: 12 NBA seasons, 837 games, 14.399 points, 17.2 PPG, 2 seasons >20 PPG, 4.9 APG, 2 seasons >6 APG, 7-time All-Star, 2-time 2nd team All-NBA, 2-time NBA champion, 1976 Finals MVP 

Ed Macauley: 10 NBA seasons, 641 games, 11,234 points, 17.5 PPG, 2 seasons >20 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 7-time All-Star, 3-time 1st team All-NBA, 1-time 2nd team All-NBA, 1-time NBA Champion (1958 Hawks)

David Lee: 12 NBA seasons, 829 games, 11,232 points, 13.5 PPG, 2 seasons >20 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 4 seasons >10 RPG, 2-time All-Star, 1-time NBA champion (2015 Warriors)

Spots 4 and 5 are open to debate. Beal already has a decent case and he's only 24. Tatum is too young to be anything more than an honorable mention, but certainly will crack the top 5 if he stays healthy. LaPhonso Ellis and Larry Hughes had nice NBA careers and may be top 5 for the time being.